Sponsored by:

Intermittent clicking from under the dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 07:34 PM
MaKSiNG
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent clicking from under the dash

I seem to have developed an intermittent clicking, sounds a bit like a relay clicking, from under the dash around the steering wheel.
It doesn't do this all the time but definitely does it more likely when driving over uneven roads.
Everything seems to work. Even when I hear the clicking there does not seem to be any unwanted side effects, no warning lights, etc. It's just very annoying and I wondered whether anyone had come across this.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-21-2018, 07:47 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the mechanical odometer, does it jump numbers occasionally? Wondering if you have a gear going out in there.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:10 PM
MaKSiNG
Advanced

Originally Posted by fasterlaster
If you have the mechanical odometer, does it jump numbers occasionally? Wondering if you have a gear going out in there.
I have the mechanical odometer in the main clock, is that what you mean?
My car has the OBC in the rev counter.

I am not sure that is it though. The clicking definitely seems to be coming from under the dash. Maybe slightly to the left of the steering wheel, towards the door. Not sure what is located under there.

Initially, I though it was the sound of something sparking under there. Like a short or something but now I am convinced it is some sort of relay type of device clicking on and off.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:24 AM
Normandy 964
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know of any relays there.....do you have an aftermarket alarm or remote central locking or something like that ?
Old 09-26-2018, 09:33 AM
MaKSiNG
Advanced

Thanks for your response Normandy.

I am assuming someone did install an aftermarket alarm at some point and this no longer works now, at least, I do not have a remote for it and have no way of arming it.
The car does not have remote central locking, or again, I have no remote, so maybe it does.

OK, well I assume this must be something aftermarket then and not something which is located there from factory. I will continue to investigate.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:48 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

I had an afternarket alarm on my MY91 C2 Coupe

The load of cr*p I removed
The were two or three relays and it was stuffed up in the area you describe the noise you hear coming from
Old 09-27-2018, 05:45 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

When I start my car, after about 15 seconds, when the dash lights go off, I get 2 to 3 clicks under the dash, but thats all. Wondering if it's related?

Trending Topics

Old 09-27-2018, 09:16 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Another possibility:
I had a clicking noise coming from under the seat, mostly in town driving.
Turned out to be the ball bearings in the seat rails that got free from the dried grease and were rolling back and forth, hitting at the end of their run. I wouldn't have found out in a million years, if I did not have to take the seats out for body work.
Old 09-30-2018, 04:10 PM
MaKSiNG
Advanced

The only thing under my dash in that location seems to be this control unit.
Which I have traced to be a central indicator control unit. I believe it controls the VDO gauges and the warning lamps.
All my gauges and warning lamps work, so I would probably be best to leave it all alone, but the noise is so annoying. I also hate squeaks, BTW

Does anyone know if there could be relays in this control box? Unlikely, right? Otherwise you would all hear a click from time to time from this box too, I would assume.

Unless the clicking is coming from slightly higher up, behind the clocks? It's starting to drive me insane

Old 09-30-2018, 07:51 PM
Kuchar
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I could be wrong, but as i remember, there is relay with buzzer. For seat belts and speed limiter.
Maybe speaker in dash is failed but relay works and clicks.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:43 PM
MaKSiNG
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kuchar
I could be wrong, but as i remember, there is relay with buzzer. For seat belts and speed limiter.
Maybe speaker in dash is failed but relay works and clicks.
Interesting.
You mean the little round thing between the clocks is a buzzer for not having your seatbelt on?
How do you mean speed limiter? How would this work?
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Intermittent clicking from under the dash