Sponsored by:

Anyone using Driven motor oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 01:55 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone using Driven motor oil?

Charles Navarro (L&N Engineering) gave a tech talk last Friday for Okteenerfest, and had very good things to say about Driven motor oil, and that the product for air cooled engines is the best thing to use.

Anyone using Driven motor oil?

I just did an oil change (with Penn) 3 months ago, which is typically an annual service for my limited use.

Another point Charles made was that it's very important to change oil BEFORE storing your car.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:16 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

He is correct / you don't want to store a car with dirty oil.

I've not used driven. Although I've heard many good things. I just figure that penn is exactly what i want, so why bother changing. It does the job right and well.

Now- if i could buy bulk from driven, I'd be happy to save the money. Cuz i do my changes every 3k Miles. And it's my daily, so that becomes very expensive.

Anyway. Yes, change before storing. And depending on how it's stored, change in the spring. There is a lot of space in the oil system to - through constant temperature changes - to have condensation build up, which puts water in the oil. So when you pull it out of storage, if it wasn't climate controlled, good idea to refresh.

Anyway- bottom line for all of us. Your car, if it could talk, would never be mad at you over fresh fluids. So if you want it to last forever. Start with fresh fluids.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:53 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

I have found condensate in two places on two engines unused for a while. One had clear evidence of water in the thermostat drain, which I figure is Porsche engineering a low point in the oil system. The other was more of a surprise. There was condensate in the right chain tensioner. Neither caused any obvious issues, but I can see why changing out oil would reduce the moisture in the system.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:36 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I’m running Driven in my 964 and Spyder and I’m completely sold on it. In the 964 I have noted that the oil pressure doesn’t fluctuate dramatically even when I’m running the car very hard up in the canyons. The engine is also quieter at startup and at idle. In the 8 months and 1500 miles I have put on the car it has used about 1/2 Qt.

In the Spyder I noticed similar, engine starts up quietly and less clatter.
Old 09-20-2018, 06:31 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Others at the event said their engines have less noise with Driven. I'll hit up Charles for some of his technical data. He also said that testing has shown a decrease in oil temps as well.

3k miles on a 964 engine, driven daily, is throwing money away IMHO. It's your car and your money, so it matters not to me. 3000 miles was the standard interval when both oil and engines were not as good as they are today. Again IMHO, 7500 miles on a regularly driven car with 11 quarts of oil is a good interval, especially with a synthetic like Penn. As long as you are getting the engine up to operating temp and keeping it there for a while, you are vaporizing any moisture. If your car goes for weeks without use, and then only short drives, that's when you should change oil more often.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:45 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Goughary

Anyway. Yes, change before storing. And depending on how it's stored, change in the spring. There is a lot of space in the oil system to - through constant temperature changes - to have condensation build up, which puts water in the oil. So when you pull it out of storage, if it wasn't climate controlled, good idea to refresh.
I think I’ve discovered my new method: drain oil and pull the filter before the snow- leave till the salt is all washed away and then refill.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:42 PM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I tell my customers oil cheap compared to a motor. Even todays engines need to have fresh motor oil more than the old motors with the cam timing, cylinder kill and everything else that run off oil pressure. with the high millage oil changes thats recommend, just remember they sell cars. I go to classes three time a year and all we talk about is oil and get you customers to change it. I proved it 3000 mile oil change, one kind of oil I put 415000 miles on one motor and 315000 on one with a super charger. You can do what ever you want but I like eating good food. synthetic motor oil is only good for 5000 miles. you must get the dirt out of the engine. when a timing chain is worn it's not the chain that did it, but the oil. I been doing this for 30 years I've seen almost it all of it. never smart enough to see it all. I do all my cars every 3000 even with synthetic. just think what that Porsche engine cost to rebuild.

Quick Reply: Anyone using Driven motor oil?