Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can anyone help me identify this chip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 04:37 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Can anyone help me identify this chip?

Guys i have a chip that came with one of my 964's 1992 C2 the po doesn't know or remember which company its from- i tried putting it in the car but it made the check engine light come on so i just removed it. Anyways to know what company makes this chip? all it says is C2 cup on it.

Last edited by Tarek307; 09-19-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Guys i have a chip that came with one of my 964's 1992 C2 the po doesn't know or remember which company its from- i tried putting it in the car but it made the check engine light come on so i just removed it. Anyways to know what company makes this chip? all it says is C2 cup on it.
The majority of early european chip upgrades (including RUF) throw a CEL because they didn't bother to update the checksum stored on the eprom and it didn't matter for the ROW 964 where the light wasn't hooked up. Do you have a Bosch Hammer or a PC based interface to run with Doug Boyce's scantool software? If so, it can ID the chip and based on the ID I might be able to tell you who made it. I have copies of at least half a dozen "C-2 CUP" chips that are all different. The problem is that some push ignition timing and raise the rev-limiter without any considerations. The worst offender setting the rev-limit at 7280RPM.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:33 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
The majority of early european chip upgrades (including RUF) throw a CEL because they didn't bother to update the checksum stored on the eprom and it didn't matter for the ROW 964 where the light wasn't hooked up. Do you have a Bosch Hammer or a PC based interface to run with Doug Boyce's scantool software? If so, it can ID the chip and based on the ID I might be able to tell you who made it. I have copies of at least half a dozen "C-2 CUP" chips that are all different. The problem is that some push ignition timing and raise the rev-limiter without any considerations. The worst offender setting the rev-limit at 7280RPM.
i do have a bosh but don't want to put the chip back in the car, my mechanic already charged me over $100 to put it in and remove it. Thanks so much for your reply though, much appreciated-
Old 09-19-2018, 09:42 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
my mechanic already charged me over $100 to put it in and remove it.
Its not too difficult to do THIS but definitely cheaper to just buy an EPROM reader.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:21 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

The first time I installed a chip, to removed my seat to do it. On my second car I did a quick RL search and found out you don’t need to do that. I was hesitant, but it totally worked. Raise the seat and slide it back and the four bolts holding it down are completely accessible. I think you can have it out in less than ten minutes. Worth a look...

Edit: Just followed Jason’s link above, and of course it was probably his thread that gave me the courage. Thamks JA!
Old 09-19-2018, 10:29 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
The first time I installed a chip, to removed my seat to do it. On my second car I did a quick RL search and found out you don’t need to do that. I was hesitant, but it totally worked. Raise the seat and slide it back and the four bolts holding it down are completely accessible. I think you can have it out in less than ten minutes. Worth a look...

Edit: Just followed Jason’s link above, and of course it was probably his thread that gave me the courage.
i am unfortunately one of those guys that breaks stuff when they try to do it themselves, no patience i end up breaking plastic pieces of losing screws lol, i've learned its better to pay someone to do it
Old 09-19-2018, 10:35 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Totally understand. Bending the tabs on the ecu cover felt rough and I was definitely nervous about prying open the unit with screwdrivers but it all worked exactly like he documented so well.

I’m taking my car to the shop and whatever the problem is, I’m sure half of RL could fix it themselves. I can’t be good at everything. Totally understand.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:47 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Totally understand. Bending the tabs on the ecu cover felt rough and I was definitely nervous about prying open the unit with screwdrivers but it all worked exactly like he documented so well.

I’m taking my car to the shop and whatever the problem is, I’m sure half of RL could fix it themselves. I can’t be good at everything. Totally understand.

good luck with your car man, those intermittent start issues suck, but its usually something silly, i don't know if these have a fuel actuator or not, but i had a problem like that once w a 77 and it was that.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:00 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Thanks, it will get sorted by the shop. I’d end up doing down 10 different rabbit holes and researching RL for 20 hours and probably still miss the real issue. Have done that a couple times already. Happy to do oil changes and basic stuff. Most of the time these cars are super reliable and such a joy to own.

Quick Reply: Can anyone help me identify this chip?