Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   C2 Targa suspension - your real world road experiences (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1096845-c2-targa-suspension-your-real-world-road-experiences.html)

jgj 09-12-2018 08:28 PM

C2 Targa suspension - your real world road experiences

What say you suspension pros? My '90 C2 Targa sits on KW V1s. I just put the Bilstein PSS10s on my C2 Coupé and I cannot believe the difference. So much more comfortable, superb damping. My use is fast road, very rarely track, but UK road surfaces are dreadful. The KWs are just too harsh for the Targa body shell. Smooth tracks are fine, but I feel it skips all over the road in the real world. The KWs have no adjustment so do* I go Bilstein as well? Other recommendations?

HDA 09-12-2018 11:40 PM

Well you are comparing apples to oranges. One is the base KW, the other one is higher end.
And I hate KW.

Tarek307 09-13-2018 02:17 AM

I've found the simple set up of Bilstien B6 & HR springs to be a very comfortable and great feeling setup and puts the car at a nice height with a little possible adjustment.

congaman 09-13-2018 05:58 AM

Like Tarek I have Bilstein B6 coilovers and Cargraphic (H&R) springs on my Targa. Fantastic ride and almost RS ride height. Highly recommended and much less expensive than the PSS10s.

cobalt 09-13-2018 08:18 AM

Unless you plan to track or autocross your car the HD/H&R setups are the best. I had my HD's modified for dampening and spring length. I have never liked the ride the PSS10's offered and wouldn't install an adjustable setup on a car unless it is dual purpose. I had H&R supercup suspension (NLA) on my turbo now on my track car and I found it to be more compliant than the PSS10's with far stiffer springs. If you are lowering your car I would consider the B8's they are better suited dampened and setup for lowering.

ffc 09-13-2018 08:44 AM

I'm using Koni FSD's with Eibach springs on my 90 Targa in the UK and I like them. I needed spacers on the rears as the FSD's only come in -91 on flavour. Elephant racing do them.

jgj 09-13-2018 07:35 PM

Thank you for your suggestions. I'll try and get a ride in a car with the B6 set up. I really do not feel like I need much flexibility for adjustment in this car.

Marine Blue 09-13-2018 11:41 PM

I’m also running the Bilstein B6 with the H&R Sport Springs and I find the ride to be very compliant. This setup is also excellent around corners, flat and very neutral (after corner balancing).

RicardoD 09-14-2018 10:13 AM

I am about to try Koni Special Active Strut with Frequency Selective Damping (FSD). This is on my 1991 Carrera 2 Tiptronic which I use as a "comfort" street driver. I am keeping the stock springs. I hope this gives me a pleasant sporting ride. Its still a 911 but I think with age I don't need a kidney busting ride for spirited drives local to my home. Will probably go to KW V3 on the Carrera 4 when I get the engine back in that.

I am replacing the original struts which have 92k miles on them.

Front: Koni 8745-1250L & 8745-1250R
Rear: 8245 1251

I got them through Tire Rack and will start this install this weekend.

ffc 09-14-2018 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by RicardoD (Post 15289483)
I am about to try Koni Special Active Strut with Frequency Selective Damping (FSD). This is on my 1991 Carrera 2 Tiptronic which I use as a "comfort" street driver. I am keeping the stock springs. I hope this gives me a pleasant sporting ride. Its still a 911 but I think with age I don't need a kidney busting ride for spirited drives local to my home. Will probably go to KW V3 on the Carrera 4 when I get the engine back in that.

I am replacing the original struts which have 92k miles on them.

Front: Koni 8745-1250L & 8745-1250R
Rear: 8245 1251

I got them through Tire Rack and will start this install this weekend.

Great stuff. Can we expect one of your excellent DIY picture threads?

RicardoD 09-14-2018 11:13 PM

This one is covered here and there so no DIY thread. . To my surprise my 91 still had the early rear shock mounts (built in August 1990, transition happened in November 199)). I am having Elephant racing hook me up with a mount/adapter. I am currently stock on the lower allen head bolt on both front shocks. Need a 1/2" drive 10mm allen socket for my large breaker bar and perhaps some heat on the nut. Put some Kroil penetrant on it and will try again on Sunday when my new tool bits arrive. My air impact gun won't budge it at all. Rear lower shock nuts came right off with a large pipe extension on my breaker bar.

ffc 09-15-2018 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by RicardoD (Post 15291336)
This one is covered here and there so no DIY thread. . To my surprise my 91 still had the early rear shock mounts (built at the end of 1990). I am having Elephant racing hook me up with a mount/adapter. I am currently stock on the lower allen head bolt on both front shocks. Need a 1/2" drive 10mm allen socket for my large breaker bar and perhaps some heat on the nut. Put some Kroil penetrant on it and will try again on Sunday when my new tool bits arrive. My air impact gun won't budge it at all. Rear lower shock nuts came right off with a large pipe extension on my breaker bar.

Not that it would make a difference but mine had these on the front rather than Allen bolts. I'm not sure why. They came out easily enough though from memory.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...adfc875679.jpg

Maciej964 09-15-2018 07:51 PM

B6 replaced with B16

Hi.
My experience will not be fully fair as my B6s were a bit worn (also with H&R green springs) but after the change result is spectacular.
The ride is firm, not too harsh and your teeth are still there even after a pot hole.
I have set it 10 mm higher than RS level and it is amazing. I do not do track with my 964, so only city and longer routes but I couldn’t believe how modern the feel is.
Enjoy.
Maciej