weekndr build

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 12:20 PM
weekndr.porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 jared
^^ all very great selection of parts.
funny i told myself the GT3 muffler is too loud...but id consider buying one if the right deal came along. Haha
Thanks Jared, yeah I was in the same boat exactly. Haha

Originally Posted by Rtz
Great setup! I was flipping between the PSS10’s and the KWs, eventually went with the V3’s but I don’t think you can go wrong with either, especially with the adjustable camber plates and drop links! I’ve also been thinking about the gt3 centre muffler, any idea what’s involved in adapting it to a 964?
Nice, yeah I hear great things about the KW's as well.
You need aftermarket headers to adopt the GT3 muffler.
And depending on what you pick, custom made adapters to go from the headers to the muffler.
If I do it, I will have custom headers done with 2x Sport Cats to save my hears a tiny bit, and the planet.
Then do a custom rear crash bar so that the tips can be mounted higher, not dump below the license plate.

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
David over at Butzigear makes a kit to adapt to it. I’ve been kicking around the same idea, because it sounds fantastic. It doesn’t however retain heat (currently), and that’s a hard stop for me. I think @Spyerx did something similar with a 991 turbo muffler though.

Nick, where did you score the GT3 muffler? I need to keep my eyes open for one.
Yeah there is that kit from Butzigear, I forgot about that!
I bought it from a Rennlist member!
$400 for the muffler, but it's the SS version, not Titanium.
Should be less raspy, and slightly deeper sounding, with a small penalty to weight.

There was just a guy selling a full 3RS Ti exhaust, side mufflers, center and tips for $1000...
The deals pop up, but you have to be first in line.
Everything on eBay is trying to get $2000 alone for the center muffler.

Just have to check the classifieds multiple times a day to score.

Originally Posted by DobermanDad
Looks good. White 911's are starting to grow on me.
Thanks man!
When I was shopping for mine, white was not my priority, but after driving a few, it really grew on me too.
Old 06-05-2019, 03:34 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by SR20Fastback
David over at Butzigear makes a kit to adapt to it. I’ve been kicking around the same idea, because it sounds fantastic. It doesn’t however retain heat (currently), and that’s a hard stop for me. I think @Spyerx did something similar with a 991 turbo muffler though.

Nick, where did you score the GT3 muffler? I need to keep my eyes open for one.
the gt3 muffler will flow better and sounds better due to the design. but, you really need to use bypass valves in order to allow use of the top inputs. you could wire this in with a manual switch and key them off a vacuum source on the engine.

I didn't want center exit, so I went with something different . BBI fabbed heat boxes for me on the Rothsport headers. It works.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:31 PM
SR20Fastback
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
the gt3 muffler will flow better and sounds better due to the design. but, you really need to use bypass valves in order to allow use of the top inputs. you could wire this in with a manual switch and key them off a vacuum source on the engine.

I didn't want center exit, so I went with something different . BBI fabbed heat boxes for me on the Rothsport headers. It works.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but your heat boxes more or less just encase the headers at one section to pull residual heat?

I only ask, because I’m wondering if I should go down this road and then find someone to fab the boxes after I get everything installed. As I recall, your journey to retaining heat was not an easy one, so I’m trying to educate myself as much as possible before pulling any triggers.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:51 PM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

What do you think of the H&R swaybars?

I am trying to figure out why the thicknesses of the various sway bar options vary so wildly. On a lot of cars, the front is always the thicker sway bar, for example. But on these cars, sometimes the front is thicker, and sometimes the rear is. It’s hard to know what is an improvement over stock.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:33 PM
weekndr.porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoKart
What do you think of the H&R swaybars?

I am trying to figure out why the thicknesses of the various sway bar options vary so wildly. On a lot of cars, the front is always the thicker sway bar, for example. But on these cars, sometimes the front is thicker, and sometimes the rear is. It’s hard to know what is an improvement over stock.
I have only 1 data point to reference how "good" they are.
Them vs. stock.
In that comparison, they are good.
I went with the H&R setup because I found the front bar locally, and the rear bar was stupid cheap on Amazon.

I have them both in the softest setting, and it feels great.
But again, I have only driven stock cars, or mine.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:03 AM
GoKart
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by weekndr.porsche
I have only 1 data point to reference how "good" they are.
Them vs. stock.
In that comparison, they are good.
I went with the H&R setup because I found the front bar locally, and the rear bar was stupid cheap on Amazon.

I have them both in the softest setting, and it feels great.
But again, I have only driven stock cars, or mine.

Did they change the balance of the car? More understeer, less understeer, etc?
Old 06-06-2019, 12:27 AM
weekndr.porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoKart
Did they change the balance of the car? More understeer, less understeer, etc?
Feels the same, in terms of over/under steer, honestly.
But wayyyy less body roll.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:48 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Very cool!
I like where you're headed with the car. Saw the GT3 muffler for sale, interested to see how you mount it with the modified crash bar. I've loved the idea of the GT3 muffler, love the center exhaust but have been a bit swayed at the extra work I need with heaters, etc. I do really like my secondary and cat delete right now though, so not all is lost.

Did you send in your control arms for the upgrade or did you tackle them yourself? Did you find the rear trailing arm bushing was spent? Or did you just do it as a "while you're in there". Did you get the Cup1s refinished?
Old 06-06-2019, 10:13 AM
weekndr.porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dubjager
Very cool!
I like where you're headed with the car. Saw the GT3 muffler for sale, interested to see how you mount it with the modified crash bar. I've loved the idea of the GT3 muffler, love the center exhaust but have been a bit swayed at the extra work I need with heaters, etc. I do really like my secondary and cat delete right now though, so not all is lost.

Did you send in your control arms for the upgrade or did you tackle them yourself? Did you find the rear trailing arm bushing was spent? Or did you just do it as a "while you're in there". Did you get the Cup1s refinished?
Thank you! Yeah the GT3 muffler conversion will have some time involved to make fitment and fabricate those parts.
Will definitely be a Winter project so the car can be on the lift longer, once I decide to do it.

I did not do the bushings myself.
The shop I took the car to, pulled everything, did a little cleaning, and replaced.
It was definitely a "while you're in there" moment.
Only the front left control arm bushings were toast, everything else was fine.

Yeah the CUP's were refinished in "Porsche Silver" by Prismatic Powder Coats (Powder Coat Manufacturer)
It's a two stage powder, 1 color, 1 clear.
Pretty close to original looking, but I still think the silver color could be a touch lighter (more white) if that makes sense.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:32 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Thank you! Yeah the GT3 muffler conversion will have some time involved to make fitment and fabricate those parts.
Will definitely be a Winter project so the car can be on the lift longer, once I decide to do it.

I did not do the bushings myself.
The shop I took the car to, pulled everything, did a little cleaning, and replaced.
It was definitely a "while you're in there" moment.
Only the front left control arm bushings were toast, everything else was fine.

Yeah the CUP's were refinished in "Porsche Silver" by Prismatic Powder Coats (Powder Coat Manufacturer)
It's a two stage powder, 1 color, 1 clear.
Pretty close to original looking, but I still think the silver color could be a touch lighter (more white) if that makes sense.
Very nice. Will have to spring for the bushings upgrade eventually. Maybe over the course of the year I'll go collecting parts!

Thanks for the color- I need to refinish the boxster s wheels I have on my car right now, the years have caught up with them and I really do love them (look like a meatier twist)
Old 06-07-2019, 09:57 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Looks Great! I've been watching the progress on IG. Really love what you did so far.

Question, on your heater duct bypass. Did you do the jumper wire method? I've read on hear it's a must mostly for those in colder states/countries. I live in Texas so it's either Hot or Hot....LOL
Old 06-07-2019, 11:38 PM
weekndr.porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Looks Great! I've been watching the progress on IG. Really love what you did so far.

Question, on your heater duct bypass. Did you do the jumper wire method? I've read on hear it's a must mostly for those in colder states/countries. I live in Texas so it's either Hot or Hot....LOL
Thanks!
Yes, in a way I am doing the jumper method.
I ordered the actual relay from Porsche that performs this:
964-610-184-00

I also pulled the 30A fuse from the engine fuse box to prevent current going to the heated element.
If you pull off the heated element that sticks into the stock heater pipe, you're fine too.
But I wanted to be extra sure those wires weren't going to start a fire in the engine compartment....
Old 06-08-2019, 01:47 AM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks!
Yes, in a way I am doing the jumper method.
I ordered the actual relay from Porsche that performs this:
964-610-184-00

I also pulled the 30A fuse from the engine fuse box to prevent current going to the heated element.
If you pull off the heated element that sticks into the stock heater pipe, you're fine too.
But I wanted to be extra sure those wires weren't going to start a fire in the engine compartment....
Oh cool I didn't know there was a relay. Thanks for that info!

I totally agree with that thought. After reading some of the threads on engine compartment fires the first "mod" i bought was a fire extinguisher...LOL
Old 06-08-2019, 02:01 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Why am I just stumbling upon this thread now!? Very cool!

how about a drive soon?

-Tyler
Old 06-08-2019, 09:21 PM
weekndr.porsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Oh cool I didn't know there was a relay. Thanks for that info!

I totally agree with that thought. After reading some of the threads on engine compartment fires the first "mod" i bought was a fire extinguisher...LOL
For sure!
Yeah I have a "Element" Fire Extinguisher in my glove box.
Never know.

Originally Posted by Buteo
Why am I just stumbling upon this thread now!? Very cool!

how about a drive soon?

-Tyler
Probably because it's buried in the AirCooled sub-threads... which means you're browsing... which means you're buying one now!
Haha.
Drive soon, Yes!

Quick Reply: weekndr build