Sponsored by:

Beat a new M3 conv. today

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts
Default Beat a new M3 conv. today

Not serious street racing or anything. I took the 964 out today for a weekly stretch. 1st time, we were side by side and we hit it at about 35 and I pulled away from him about a car length or two and slowed before I got to 75. At red light he chirped them and I didn't, but I stomped it and caught him before 60 and just backed off. He kept going. Although I didn't spin the wheels at the start like I do on good launches, I did jump out a little hard just in case he wanted to play.

It was new looking M3 convertible. Any ideas what these guys run 0 - 60?

BTW, I had my sub box in which weighs about 60 pounds and had about 1/2 tank of gas. I usually do my 0 - 60 runs without the sub box and with a 1/4 of a tank of gas.

Last edited by Doug H; 01-18-2004 at 06:36 PM.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:51 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

don't even think about trying to take on an M3 in a straight line. ....they'll beat you up and steal your lunch money. They are quick!

Now, should you find yourself on a desolate mountain road it's going to be all about the driver. At least you stand a chance!
Old 01-18-2004, 05:51 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

For those interested, I did do a hp run today (start off slow in first and get a long second gear in hard accelleration which is supposed to give a more accurate figure on hp). Here is the results from 2 0 - 60 runs and a hp run which is in green. I calculated my weight at 3,400 pounds, but that is just a guess. As I said, I was heavier than I usually am when I do G-Tech because of the sub box. I also did not have one of those electrifying launches where you have absolutely no sag on take off. Still hit a 4.9 and a 5.0 though.

It showed 243 hp and 247 torque which may be close to 300 when converted to flywheel. I will be going to the dyno after 200 more miles on the break in and a quick valve check/adjustment. Overall, I have to say this car is running very strong and I am lloking forward to a real dyno to compare to the G-Tech.
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by C4 Guy
don't even think about trying to take on an M3 in a straight line. ....they'll beat you up and steal your lunch money. They are quick!

Now, should you find yourself on a desolate mountain road it's going to be all about the driver. At least you stand a chance!
I am not close to tock and my car is running solid 4.8 to 4.9 0 - 60. What does a new M3 convertible run 0 - 60. He might not have given it all she had, but it seemed to me he was trying pretty hard.

BTW, I just did a quick search typing in M3 0 - 60 and saw a Bimmer forum posts where guys were saying they were seeing 5.2 0 - 60s with the SMG in a M3 convertible.

http://www.m3registry.com/m3forum/ar...pic/570-1.html

Looks like I can take an M3 convertible in a straight line.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:13 PM
BrokeAss
Driver Carries No Cash
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Doug H
I am not close to tock and my car is running solid 4.8 to 4.9 0 - 60.
Damn! Nice dyno numbers! Yeah, I'd say with numbers like that your pretty far from stock!

I've taken a ride in a new M3 with SMG and was pretty impressed - it scored really well in my unscientific "butt-dyno" testing.

...let's hear some more about those mods!
Old 01-18-2004, 07:40 PM
Jeff Midili
Advanced

Doug,

What have you done to your car?

This whole time I thought you had put the Lenz system in because I knew you were considering it and you started to post some impressive times, but then I see on another post that you haven't gone Lenz yet.

Regards,
Jeff
Old 01-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

No, I am kind of waiting to see where it is right now. If I am at or close to the 310 hp Lenz system, I may consider the 340 hp system. I am actually still waiting on confirmation on price and availability. My shop surely has it by now. I just haven't called out there in a while because as soon as I put another 200 miles on the car I am going back out there. If I came up less than 290, I considered just doing the 310 hp kit.

The list of mods is still being pieced together. The engine was completely rebuilt (not damage related) in 93 with internal work some of which is still a mystery other than what the total cost of the project was back then. It originally started out to be Ruf turbo conversion. I guess after the suspension, brakes, interior, roll bar and cosmetic touches, the owner backed off the $ 25k turbo conversion and settled for a $ 10k rebuild. I have the emails with Ruf vendor to that effect and some rather cryptic invoices.

The visible add-on stuff is: MAF with K & N cone on it, cat bypass, GHL primary, no secondary, induction (if that is the word for it), and Ruf chip. The internals include balancing, extenstive polishing, connecting rods, special head work (that the shop guaranteed would increase performance and they delivered), valves, valves springs, and other stuff I need to ask them about. I kind of gave them free reign and told them to make it quick. I will try and sort it out the best I can here soon and after we figure out excatly where we are at. I am not even sure if the pistons are original at this point and really didn't broach the issue with my shop during the rebuild. I was more concerned at that time why I had blown some rings to bits.
Old 01-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Flatsixer
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have no problem beating an E36 M3 convertible in your 964. The current E46 M3 convertible will run 0-60 from 5 - 5.3 secs.(6 speed) depending on conditions. Regards, Brady
Old 01-19-2004, 09:50 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Was the MAF installed when you blew the rings?
Old 01-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by JasonAndreas
Was the MAF installed when you blew the rings?
Yes. That was one of the 93 mods. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: Beat a new M3 conv. today