Exhaust touching oil hardline

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 09:19 PM
deadendd9009
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Exhaust touching oil hardline

Hello,

I recently dropped my engine for some transmission work, and putting things back together, I can't help notice that my exhaust, on the secondary muffler side, is touching the oil line that runs to the back of the engine (the one with a metal braid). I didn't replace the oil line nor the exhaust when dropping the engine, and I don't believe these two were touching before. I'm running a secondary muffler delete, the one I have is "U" shaped, but doesn't bolt into the secondary muffler bracket by the power steering pump belt.
  • Is this normal?
  • How bad is this?
  • How can I fix it?
Thanks for any help!
Old 08-14-2018, 09:41 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Check to see if your secondary delete isn't on backward...(upside down)

If it is, you'll notice your oem exhaust tip is sticking out too far as well.

Have any pics?
Old 08-14-2018, 11:02 PM
deadendd9009
Racer

I believe it may be on backwards as the tip is sticking way out, very good point!

However, it is the exhaust clamp that is touching the hardline, not the secondary delete itself. I'll flip it and report back.

Thanks Goughary!
Old 08-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

If the clamp is touching - then look at the orientation of the primary. Make sure it's hanging correctly on the bracket. Many people put these on wrong and just clamp them down. The backside of the primary has two tabs that are longer in board from the short tabs. Those longer tabs should rest on top of the bracket. And then the short tabs fit into the bent slot made for them on the bracket.

Make sense?

Anyway if that isn't on right, the angles of the secondary, or in this case, the g pipe, will be wrong and could cause the issue.
Old 08-15-2018, 09:30 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I've had cases when I installed my engine that the oil line had "twisted" slightly and the line was touching the muffler. I would try loosening the oil line connection at the oil filter bracket and see if you can move it away from the muffler.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:14 AM
Vandit
Nordschleife Master

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

This is the hardline that goes into the bottom of the oil filter console, right? If so, then yea, loosen that fitting and rotate it. Get out your big spanners. 36 and 32 or something big like that. It's been awhile.
Old 08-15-2018, 11:20 AM
deadendd9009
Racer

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
I've had cases when I installed my engine that the oil line had "twisted" slightly and the line was touching the muffler. I would try loosening the oil line connection at the oil filter bracket and see if you can move it away from the muffler.
Originally Posted by Vandit
This is the hardline that goes into the bottom of the oil filter console, right? If so, then yea, loosen that fitting and rotate it. Get out your big spanners. 36 and 32 or something big like that. It's been awhile.
It makes perfect sense, and I'm kicking myself in the head for not thinking about it sooner! Also, thank you Goughary for the information regarding the muffler installation, after double checking, it appears all is in the right place!

Quick Reply: Exhaust touching oil hardline