Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 04:12 AM
savi1992
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Restoring my dad's 964 Porsche

Hi everyone,

I live in Kenya, Nairobi. I'm pretty young only 26 and my dad had
bought a Porsche 911 3.2L 1984 rally car left hand drive from a friend a day before I
was born.
My dad is a panel beater and well we got a garage in Kenya the money isn't to good because of competition in the country and because of priorities e.g. paying for my brother's medical education, the money to re-build the car with the strength of the Kenya shilling to other currencies is not even close to scratching the surface . My dad's idea was to make a pristine condition right hand drive 964 turbo.

My dad got rid of everything in the old rally car cause it had so much
welding and well it was poorly built I suppose you could say all he really used was just
the front cut slowly by slowly by dad bought the panels for a 964 turbo body and then my dad bought an engine was supposed to buy a
964 turbo engine, got a 964 3.6L but with no ECU/ DME from UK which
was supposed to be sent from UK. This was in the 90's so well there
was no internet here so the parts they sent well were incomplete.

Ever since I was a kid well since my dad loves Porsche's I developed
the same love, as a teen when I wasn't in school I worked at the
garage learnt everything from my dad about body work and how to repair
accident repair cars. Fast forward business well hasn't been good for
the past 12 years its become to competitive and no one wants to pay value for money they just pay the bare minimum. My dad even had to
sell the rims he bought for the Porsche, cause we were financially
bad. So at the age of 21 I just got so passionate about our Porsche
I started working on it even though my dad has always been resistant about me working on it, till he finally joined in with me and now the car has reached the level it has as shown in the picture. I had been slowly trying to save up to finish the car but now I have my own wedding coming up which all the money that I have has been going to that, into renovations and for the ceremony.

So again the car has been forgotten and I really really want to finish the car soon cause my dad is old and I want him to enjoy driving it as much as possible. This car really is a labour of love and a passion project of my dad's and I and sadly we don't get any parts here in Kenya for these cars. If anything I have to import all the parts and with inflation the value for 1$ is about 106 Kshs. I am appealing to everyone that I would love to finish this car with my dad in his lifetime so he can enjoy driving it as much as possible he's 71 years old now and this is his passion project.

Main items needed,
-ECU/DME for a 964 C2 3.6l engine.
-Clutch fork
-Starter ring
-Starter for engine
-Rims and tyres
-Headlights with headlight covers
-Pedals

Old 08-07-2018, 01:23 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 413 Likes on 286 Posts

Enjoy the build! Seems like quite a challenge when parts are not readily available - admire you’re determination!
Old 08-07-2018, 03:02 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 97 Posts

Good luck with your build.
Happy to donate some clutch parts if you need them!
Old 08-08-2018, 07:10 AM
savi1992
Track Day

Originally Posted by jeff33702
Enjoy the build! Seems like quite a challenge when parts are not readily available - admire you’re determination!
Honestly thanks so much. That's the problem , parts aren't available easily especially the ECU/DME which is a key component.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:12 AM
savi1992
Track Day

Thanks so much.
That would be amazing I don't mind paying for freight costs really need the clutch fork and thrust bearing for the gearbox, its the g50 gearbox
Old 08-08-2018, 07:13 AM
savi1992
Track Day

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
Good luck with your build.
Happy to donate some clutch parts if you need them!
Thanks so much.
That would be amazing I don't mind paying for freight costs really need the clutch fork and thrust bearing for the gearbox, its the g50 gearbox.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:21 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 181 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by savi1992
Thanks so much.
That would be amazing I don't mind paying for freight costs really need the clutch fork and thrust bearing for the gearbox, its the g50 gearbox.
Sure! let me see what comes out from the car when they put the new G50 in.
I will keep an eye open if I see any other items.

My recommendation is for you to put up a list.
Many of us would be hoarding parts that may instead be of use for you.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:09 AM
savi1992
Track Day

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
Sure! let me see what comes out from the car when they put the new G50 in.
I will keep an eye open if I see any other items.

My recommendation is for you to put up a list.
Many of us would be hoarding parts that may instead be of use for you.

Thanks so much, will just really sit down and assess what I don't have that I need and compile a full list on this thread.

Cheers.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:32 PM
savi1992
Track Day

Default Update on progress

Hi everyone I've been so quiet and an update is i've been working on the cars bodywork slowly but surely right now its almost done.

Scavenging for any parts on this forum or well suggestions on how I can match the 964 3.6L engine with a g50 gearbox?

I have a brand new clutch assembly less the clutch fork and bolts for the flywheel.

To get the engine in and gearbox in the car I need:

-Starter motor for G50 gearbox

- Bolts for flywheel to crank

- Bolts clutch plate to flywheel

- Clutch fork

- Clutch fork rod

- Ignition sensor brackets and ignition sensors

- Ignition coils for 3.6L engine

- Oil filter holder

- Thermostat for 3.6L engine

- Engine Mountings for 3.3L engine

- Ignition switch electrical

If anyone can help me with some of these parts that they have just lying around let me know or well want to sell let me know.

Honestly will appreciate anyone's feedback on this post.

Really wan't to get this car on the road despite not having the monetary cash flow to buy all the spares at once, dream about driving it so bad .

Thanks.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:34 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,355 Posts

IMO it is cheap insurance to buy the flywheel clutch/crank bolts new. I have a set of each around someplace used that look new but I wouldn't use them.

Take my advice you don't want to do any of the big jobs twice it will taint the experience. Once and done is best.

You might be able to source some of these parts from DC automotive. Search some of the part numbers they can be found on line. If you don't have a copy of the PET catalog, download this it will save you a ton of ???

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pd...SA_KATALOG.pdf.

GL it will be worth doing it right and you will enjoy the car no doubt.

Edit: Just realized it is RHD so DC probably can't help you want this PET instead

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pd...64_KATALOG.pdf
The following users liked this post:
savi1992 (09-27-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 09:27 PM
revolution993
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice if i have anything left from my build that i don’t need will let you know by pm.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:00 PM
savi1992
Track Day

Originally Posted by cobalt
IMO it is cheap insurance to buy the flywheel clutch/crank bolts new. I have a set of each around someplace used that look new but I wouldn't use them.

Take my advice you don't want to do any of the big jobs twice it will taint the experience. Once and done is best.

You might be able to source some of these parts from DC automotive. Search some of the part numbers they can be found on line. If you don't have a copy of the PET catalog, download this it will save you a ton of ???

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pd...SA_KATALOG.pdf.

GL it will be worth doing it right and you will enjoy the car no doubt.

Edit: Just realized it is RHD so DC probably can't help you want this PET instead

https://www.porsche.com/all/media/pd...64_KATALOG.pdf

Thanks for the heads up, I'm still trying to find out which engine it is exactly can't seem to find the engine number on the engine anywhere, can't tell which M64 engine it is.

Also this car really is a Frankenstein on its own.
Body shell looks like a 964 turbo, the gearbox is a g50 gearbox and the suspension is a 930J suspension. My dad converted the body from left hand drive to right hand drive to be driven in Kenya.

The bolts will get new ones. Trying to get as many good spares as possible but won't compromise on the necessity ones.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:01 PM
savi1992
Track Day

Originally Posted by revolution993
Nice if i have anything left from my build that i don’t need will let you know by pm.

Awesome, would appreciate that.
Old 09-29-2019, 11:26 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,291 Likes on 1,355 Posts

Originally Posted by savi1992
Thanks for the heads up, I'm still trying to find out which engine it is exactly can't seem to find the engine number on the engine anywhere, can't tell which M64 engine it is.

Also this car really is a Frankenstein on its own.
Body shell looks like a 964 turbo, the gearbox is a g50 gearbox and the suspension is a 930J suspension. My dad converted the body from left hand drive to right hand drive to be driven in Kenya.

The bolts will get new ones. Trying to get as many good spares as possible but won't compromise on the necessity ones.
It appears to be a turbo. The engine serial number would be on the right side of the case next to the cooling fan you have to look deep into it. If you post pictures I might be able to tell if it is a M30.69 or an M64.50. If you post the vin number we can tell what year and model it should be and if it was a ROW or US spec car.

Converting the car from LHD to RHD must have been a huge task. The grearbox should be marked as either a G50/03 or 05 or 52 impression stamped on the lower case
The following users liked this post:
savi1992 (10-01-2019)
Old 10-01-2019, 03:06 AM
savi1992
Track Day

Originally Posted by cobalt
It appears to be a turbo. The engine serial number would be on the right side of the case next to the cooling fan you have to look deep into it. If you post pictures I might be able to tell if it is a M30.69 or an M64.50. If you post the vin number we can tell what year and model it should be and if it was a ROW or US spec car.

Converting the car from LHD to RHD must have been a huge task. The grearbox should be marked as either a G50/03 or 05 or 52 impression stamped on the lower case

I took some pictures the other day to try to look for it, the only numbers I got were for the engine mount cover number on the engine. It's not a turbo engine it's just a 3.6L naturally aspirated engine as my dad told me, I would like to put a turbo in or but I'd have to decompress the engine and I don't know whether I should risk opening the engine up and work on it (though I have the experience with other engines)

I'll look for the gearbox numbers today.

Quick Reply: Restoring my dad's 964 Porsche