Sponsored by:

Engine rebuild terms and costs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 10:20 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by 88bender
I understand everything you guys are saying.
In AVERAGE, would you say around 40 hours? 60 hours? 80 hours?
Thanks
Is it a late or early M64.02 engine, how many miles and what it's overall condition? Has it been rebuilt before etc, etc.

Until you open it up and know exactly what is needed it is just a guess and I have seen it go either way. Although when people usually ask I just say months. No matter what there is always something that drags out. I waited months for a part from Porsche that I could have machined in 30 minutes if I had the dimensions.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:28 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Every builder is different and will approach a rebuild differently depending on what you are spec-ing the motor. More experience doesn't necessarily mean less time, nor should it. Experience often leads to what works for a given situation, what problems to look for and solutions that address a given scenario. Rather than looking at how many hours, I would be asking for a given outcome, what should I be the considerations on my specific motor given its, mileage, previous work, etc.

My motor went well above the time and cost initially planned and discussed, but most of the overrun came from decisions I made to future proof the motor.

However, the longer a project goes, you will always find additional items to do...my "build a bulletproof, better than OEM quality motor" became a "bulletproof, better than OEM 3.8, RS Varioram equipped but still motronic run" motor;p
Old 08-09-2019, 12:50 AM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 66 Posts

I am in the process of rebuilding my motor i was wondering would you guys use all oem parts or aftermarket?
example :valve springs valve bearings chain sprocket etc??
i see a lot of aftermarket company selling the same parts for 1/3 of oem porsche parts.
my question is would it hold up in quality wise vs oem parts??
anyone here rebuild their engine with aftermarket parts?
The following users liked this post:
rendernyc (08-03-2023)
Old 08-09-2019, 08:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^^ Try contacting EBS Engine Builder Supply and see what they recommend. Many of the factory parts are just repackaged with P tax added. Most upgrades for these engines are made by other sources. All depends on how far you want to go, if you want a stock build or plan to take it further and how far. If you have never rebuilt one of these there are some interesting threads on Pelican including one on sealants. So many opinions on whether to use the factory recommended Loctite 453, threebond or several others, if you should bond the webs and other parts or not etc. Do your research there are a lot of things you can do differently than factory but that is up to you.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:27 AM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cobalt
^^^ Try contacting EBS Engine Builder Supply and see what they recommend. Many of the factory parts are just repackaged with P tax added. Most upgrades for these engines are made by other sources. All depends on how far you want to go, if you want a stock build or plan to take it further and how far. If you have never rebuilt one of these there are some interesting threads on Pelican including one on sealants. So many opinions on whether to use the factory recommended Loctite 453, threebond or several others, if you should bond the webs and other parts or not etc. Do your research there are a lot of things you can do differently than factory but that is up to you.
Thanks the parts are all coming from EBS some is glyco some is Trw etc..
Old 08-09-2019, 09:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by revolution993
Thanks the parts are all coming from EBS some is glyco some is Trw etc..

You're in good hands then IMO.
Old 08-09-2019, 11:12 PM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

You're in good hands then IMO.
Thank you🙏
Old 08-11-2019, 05:39 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Let me answer to give you one piece of data: I got billed between 55 and 60 hrs. Experienced mechanic, rebuilt to stock specs.

His billed hours are generally quite reasonable, meaning time he spent looking for parts is not likely to be included, nor were the hours we discussed things.

I just paid up with no argument since al decisions to increase cost were mine in the end... based on best effort estimates.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^^^That seems a bit high especially if they are billing $100 or more an hour. What did the work encompass?
Old 08-13-2019, 06:48 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

^^^^That seems a bit high especially if they are billing $100 or more an hour. What did the work encompass?
From a labor point of view: Removal of engine, complete strip down to bottom case split, some parts cleaning (done in house), putting all back together, reinstall, testing... that was it. Ah, some tuning was done as well since it was struggling running hot before.

Some other small maintenance things, but nothing major... though the front heater blower motor replacement may be few extra hours.

The hourly rate was not 100 USD... a good bit less... fortunately.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:40 AM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 199 Posts

hmmm, so of all these discussions who can you recommend for a one stop shop to build an all out 4.0 in the USA?
Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Navaros911
From a labor point of view: Removal of engine, complete strip down to bottom case split, some parts cleaning (done in house), putting all back together, reinstall, testing... that was it. Ah, some tuning was done as well since it was struggling running hot before.

Some other small maintenance things, but nothing major... though the front heater blower motor replacement may be few extra hours.

The hourly rate was not 100 USD... a good bit less... fortunately.
A low hourly rate helps no doubt. I have been working on several including a 996 cup engine (quite similar in many ways) and although it has taken months with delays the total hours are a bit less. Although I sub out my machine and cleaning work. I have a great old school machinist with all the equipment and knowhow who can do the cleaning, inspection and machining work in a fraction of the time.

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
hmmm, so of all these discussions who can you recommend for a one stop shop to build an all out 4.0 in the USA?
In the US. The names that come to mind are Rothsport Racing, Rennsport Systems and Gaswerks Garage. I know Gaspare at Gaswerks and he is a true artist IMO and is more of an old school engine tuner you want to build your early outlaw engine. I have seen work come out of some other very high end well known shops both east and west coast and have to say I saw some things that concerned me so I will keep the list short . Although they may have been isolated incidents.
Old 08-14-2019, 04:54 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

I have a great old school machinist with all the equipment and knowhow who can do the cleaning, inspection and machining work in a fraction of the time.
That is a true challenge here, but things are improving. It surely adds to the increase in hours... but the quality control on the mech's end needs to be paid for and is part of the end product he sells.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:11 PM
revolution993
Three Wheelin'

Split case with all parts changed 50k more or less
Old 04-06-2023, 02:33 PM
996C2S
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agreed especially given the parts/labor costs today vs just a few years ago.

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild terms and costs?