The Turtle

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 01:54 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Turtle

A few days ago joey (as in Mr Bagadonuts) asked for a photo of my 964...

This car has a Safety Devices bolt-in cage, Recaro SPGs, Schroth 6-point belts, rear seats removed, most sound padding removed, RS door panels, no stereo or speakers, no A/C, Boge shocks in front and HDs in the back with H&R springs, adjustable sway bars, DOT R-compound tires on 17" cup wheels, battery kill switch, secondary bypass pipe, and an MA Shaw RSA tail. It will shortly have big reds front and rear, a carbon fiber cup heater bypass tube, ducting for extra brake cooling and Rennline pedals. It's a DE and time trial car, I won't be racing.

My wife wants me to change to wider seats (probably pole positions) so she can fit and drive it and she wants me to add a full fire suppression system instead of a simple halon extinguisher. I may also replace the primary muffler and may add an aftermarket chip biased for 100 octane fuel.

And it's "The Turtle" because it's amazon green, I'm a member of "Hey, wait for me!" Racing (HWFM) and I'm slow (1:55 at Laguna Seca and 2:16 at Thunderhill).

My two favorite toys:
Old 01-15-2004, 08:37 AM
HSB
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Tom,
You know it will go faster once you get all that"heavy" A.C. stuff out fo the boot.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:38 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Thanks for the follow up, Tom. Nice cars! For the turtle, have you considered:

LWF
Modified intake (MAF or cone filter)
Cat bypass
Revised ring & pinion (to shorten everything up)
Race suspension (Motons, JRZ's, etc. with stiffer springs)
Replacing the sunroof w/ lightweight panel (can't really tell if you have one)

I think you've done (or planning to do) every other go-fast trick in the book and interested in your opinion of various mods.

BTW, I used to live in the Bay Area and covered the Peninsula as a sales rep. Man, the roads in your neighborhood must be some of the best in the country to enjoy a P-car! Lucky duck.
Great toys.

Last edited by joey bagadonuts; 01-15-2004 at 10:57 AM.
Old 01-15-2004, 12:31 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Joey,

Thanks for the kind words about the Turtle.

I have the RS-LWF and clutch in my 993 and the 993 has also been re-geared to shorter gearing. I know what the mods provide (a lot!). However, I have no plans to do them on this car until I have a real transmission problem as they are just too expensive (hell, they would be close to 1/2 of what I paid for the car).

I am considering a cat bypass if I replace the primary muffler. I just need to ensure I meet the 92 db limit for Laguna Seca. If I keep the primary that should be ok. I also have thought about the sun roof replacement but I just spent money to have all the seals replaced and don't want to muck around in there now - the other stuff is higher on the list.

I thought about different suspension too but will probably not change any time soon. The suspension change to Moton's or JRZ's would be almost 1/4 of the value of the car and I'm not a good enough driver yet to really need it or be able to use it. I'm not going to do any mods that are over $2500 until I can get consistantly decent lap times (unless they are needed during a repair). Right now I can get the occasional good time but am usually slower due to lots of little mistakes. Give me another year or two and the car will have the Moton's and I'll be thinking about gears and steel synchros.

And yes, this is a great place to live and drive a Porsche. Lots of nice twisty roads through the hills and mountains. In addition I have Sears Point an hour drive away, Laguna Seca is 1.5 hours and Thunder Hill is about 3 hours drive. I grew up in the Chicago area but escaped IL after graduate school in Champaign/Urbana - I know what you have out there too.
Old 01-15-2004, 01:21 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Tom, jealous of your "toys"! I'm just up the street from you in Pacifica. I was wondering where you go for twisty mountain drives? I have had some fun drives down HWY1 in my C4 (usually with a quick stop at Camerons English pub involved!) but HMBPD seems to have more vehicles on the road every time I head out, so it can be an excercise in frustration! Never done any DE/track!

Cheers,

--Howard
Old 01-15-2004, 02:36 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Howard: My wife and I really enjoy the BAR drives down Skyline to 9 and into Big Basin or going up to wine country and cruising around Healdsburg - some great roads and fine wineries up there. You need to get off Highway 1 with all it's traffic and get more into the backroads within the coastal range. You should also join us for an autocross or DE!

It appears there are 3 of us with 964s within a couple miles of each other. I have a neighbor 2 blocks away with a 964 too.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:43 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Tom, that'd be great fun! We should get our cars together sometime(Something to compete with the "Rennlist N. Wales Run" those chaps across the pond seem to have so much fun posting about!) Although I dunno about the Auto-X/DE as I fear I may be too much of a novice! ;-)

BTW, where is 9 off of Skyline? I live very close to Skyline and although I rarely drive down that far, I thought it merged into 280?

Cheers,

--Howard
Old 01-15-2004, 05:57 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Howard: South. We usually start at the overlook at 92 and Skyline and head south on Skyline about 30 miles to 9. The last BAR drive I was on had about 35 Porsche's. Anything from a GT2 to a 356.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:25 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Tom,

I'm another 964 owner in the area. I'm in Redwood City. My local road favorites are

1) Skyline, of course
2) The road going east from the Lick Observatory. It has very little traffic
3) The access roads running thru the Altmont Pass windmills.
Old 01-15-2004, 10:46 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom, BAR...PCBA, PCA?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:06 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Just a guess but is BAR = Bay Area Roads?
Old 01-15-2004, 11:29 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

BAR = Bay Area Rennlist (group)

We created a Yahoo group to help schedule drives and functions. A link is here . There are quite a few Rennlister's in the area and 30+ cars is not uncommon for a drive. The group started from the 993 board, but all are welcome, even non-porsche drivers (we have the occasional friend in a M3 or Viper join us).

Here's a photo from a recent drive (taken at Big Basin Redwoods State Park):
Old 01-16-2004, 01:06 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just visited the yahoo group and signed up! Cheers Tom! This looks like fun!

--Howard
Old 01-17-2004, 01:18 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

tom,

i love the turtle. ah, your wife is very understanding. want to call my wife?
i hope to see you at 1/31 porsche get together from carlsen porsche to monterey drive.

i will be running lots of DE in feb. NCRC at LS and TH as well as PDC at TH and GGLC at TH. hope to see you at some events.
Old 01-17-2004, 05:12 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

John: Work will provide little time for anything but work for the next month or so (including weekends). With luck my first DE will be the second week of March. On 1/31 I'll be taking the Turtle for it's PCA tech inspection, I'm not sure about the drive.

I still have some photos to give you from Thunder Hill with TracQuest last year in my DE box!

Quick Reply: The Turtle