Sponsored by:

New to me Family Targa 2!

Old 08-03-2018, 10:44 AM
robertoflay
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to me Family Targa 2!

Good Morning all,

Just picked up our family targa 2 from my Uncle currently has 135k miles my father originally picked this up in 05 for 9500 back when the 964's weren't as hot! He drove it for about 5k miles then decided he wanted a 997 so he gave it to my uncle with the stipulation that when he doesn't want it anymore it comes back to me. So here we are! oil is leaking pretty bad so its at my mechanic right now getting all new lines etc.. picked up some nice outlaw 3 piece wheels from @dshum and looking for a few exterior pieces to start! The rear bumper is warped and drooping because of all the oil that was leaking, tail lights have their cracks in them, interior is nice and fresh but targa top could use some love. Looking forward to building this out! Looking for a source for interiors, I want to get some recaros in burgundy with the basketweave aka singer style and a decal source for a nice classic carrera script on the sides.

More to come soon!

Old 08-03-2018, 11:09 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Congratulations! Replacing the tail lights is easy. I would first focus on basic maintenance like changing all of the fluids, and cleaning the car top and bottom. Then you can start assessing what's ok and what needs attention.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:23 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Welcome and thanks for sharing your story! Good luck with the restoration and hope you enjoy it! It really is an ongoing process, which while sometimes frustrating, it is definitely satisfying. A white Targa is a pretty 964. Is the rear engine hood slightly open in the pictures? It's been a few years, but I purchased a set of Carrera classic scripts in black vinyl here (no affiliation). Putting them on was not too difficult. They've held up pretty well I think.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:41 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by robertoflay
...so he gave it to my uncle with the stipulation that when he doesn't want it anymore it comes back to me...
Welcome. Nice of your dad to look out for you, and make sure that the car goes to someone who will take care of it. Looking forward to seeing it come back to life!
I remember the days well when 964s were going for $10,000-$20,000...

Old 08-03-2018, 11:49 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Congrats on the new Targa! Very rare cars, especially C2’s.

As others mentioned, I would definitely focus on the mechanical items first and then get into the cosmetic items like seat etc. I imagine the suspension will likely need some updating if it hasn’t been done already. That in itself will transform how the car drives and feels.

Enjoy in good health!
Old 08-03-2018, 01:53 PM
robertoflay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Congratulations! Replacing the tail lights is easy. I would first focus on basic maintenance like changing all of the fluids, and cleaning the car top and bottom. Then you can start assessing what's ok and what needs attention.

I agree, the car is in the shop now after a long drive back to NJ hence the dirty pics.. After the lines and leaking issues are all addressed I'm heading straight to detailers domain for a full detail, the burgundy interior is in wonderful shape mainly needs some work outside!
Old 08-03-2018, 01:54 PM
robertoflay
Instructor

Originally Posted by sooner964
Welcome and thanks for sharing your story! Good luck with the restoration and hope you enjoy it! It really is an ongoing process, which while sometimes frustrating, it is definitely satisfying. A white Targa is a pretty 964. Is the rear engine hood slightly open in the pictures? It's been a few years, but I purchased a set of Carrera classic scripts in black vinyl here (no affiliation). Putting them on was not too difficult. They've held up pretty well I think.

Thanks for the link I'm gonna check them out! Yes the hood is open I drove it straight from my uncles house to the mechanic and I took a few quick pics after he inspected the engine... Engine is out as of now getting sorted can't wait to drive it again
Old 08-03-2018, 01:56 PM
robertoflay
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Welcome. Nice of your dad to look out for you, and make sure that the car goes to someone who will take care of it. Looking forward to seeing it come back to life!
I remember the days well when 964s were going for $10,000-$20,000...
Thanks, He doesn't have the time or resources to sort the car out now, after its done I'm gonna give it back over to him but will document the process here!
Old 08-03-2018, 01:59 PM
robertoflay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

As others mentioned, I would definitely focus on the mechanical items first and then get into the cosmetic items like seat etc. I imagine the suspension will likely need some updating if it hasn’t been done already. That in itself will transform how the car drives and feels.

Enjoy in good health!
Thanks! Didn't get a good shot of the interior but its full burgundy which I like, something you don't see everyday! the suspension does look a little low, my mechanic says its fine and should last me another 50k as it was replaced recently... but I am thinking of getting a set of coilovers and calling a day... any suggestions?
Old 08-03-2018, 02:09 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

With the elusive rear wiper to boot.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts

This car is the right color and will look amazing once done! congrats

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Enjoy in good health!
Technically C4's are rarer in the Targa haha
Old 08-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by robertoflay
Thanks! Didn't get a good shot of the interior but its full burgundy which I like, something you don't see everyday! the suspension does look a little low, my mechanic says its fine and should last me another 50k as it was replaced recently... but I am thinking of getting a set of coilovers and calling a day... any suggestions?
Post up a full side shot of the car when you get a chance, can’t see how low the front sits. The rear looks lowered but not too low.

If the suspension was changed already there’s no need to make any other changes to it. I would ask what kind of shocks and springs were installed, some shocks have height adjustment. I would ask your mechanic to check the control arm bushings to see if they’re worn, otherwise just get a proper alignment.

Old 08-03-2018, 03:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tarek307
This car is the right color and will look amazing once done! congrats

Technically C4's are rarer in the Targa haha
Thanks for the correction Tarek, you’re right nearly double! I chalk it up to seeing more C4’s come up for sale.

Last edited by Marine Blue; 08-08-2018 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:12 PM
robertoflay
Instructor

Mounted up the outlaw wheels I purchased from fellow rennlister dshum, washed her up, just need to get the blower motor for the fan and recharge up the AC for now. Will have to purchase some seals around the front hood and on the sides, and little things for right now Im beyond excited to put on some miles! My wife and dog love the car as well as you can see!

Old 10-09-2018, 08:38 PM
robertoflay
Instructor

Just realized I hadn't posted up on a while, took care of everything mechanically and the car runs like a dream, just got back from a nice trip up to Newport R.I. with no issues!! The ride on the new wheels is nice and not harsh at all, I do have the footwell heating issue so I will have my mechanic check that out. Changed out the steering wheel for the prototipo and its beyond amazing.. Havent gotten the horn working since swaping so thats next on the list. Car is dirty needs a detail in a bit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me Family Targa 2!