Sponsored by:

ECU & Tuning Options

Old 07-04-2018, 07:29 AM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you considered FVD lb2?
https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD11004/f...-hp-gains.html
They can make custom chip as well and you get rid of barn door.

My experience with LB2 is positive.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:30 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by erikerik
I can recommend SW and his custom tune. He got around 20hp out of my car with only a full headers/exhaust and air filter.

if if you are keeping a mostly stock engine, with the exception of cams... SW seems like a good value compared with going with a custom Motec solution.
This is actually my first choice. Driven alex car and it feels good throttle response is excellent. The downside for me is future tunability and single narrow band o2. I hate having to buy twice when i build motor. I’m going to go see him again when I’m back from Europe and talk live. Also need to drive his new gearstack gt4.

Originally Posted by Mikke_Possu
Have you considered FVD lb2?
https://www.fvd.net/us-en/FVD11004/f...-hp-gains.html
They can make custom chip as well and you get rid of barn door.
My experience with LB2 is positive.
one thing for sure for me is if i do computer to eliminate the motronic. Future tuning is an issue and cpu has limitation.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went for AEM Infinity with Bisimoto loom - ended up not using the loom since we decided to go CoP and had a custom loom made up. Also went with a Rothsport intake hence junking the motronic.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

So... leaning on aem. Found a local shop that makes a full kit with custom harness, and all the goodies included: map sensor, injectors, distributorless ignition, etc.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:48 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Selfishly I want you to go aem because that's the way I'm leaning and I want to see more results
Old 07-06-2018, 11:50 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Old 07-07-2018, 10:14 AM
wallra
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

I went with a system like that just with the electromotive ECM. I used Porsche ignition coils. That's a nice setup. If I was to do it again I would of used that setup with the vw ignition coils.
Old 07-08-2018, 10:04 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

I’m sure that Steve Wong can cook you a chip for higher flow injectors if that’s a main concern. Stand alone injection always requires a lot more (endless?) tuning time than you expect. Getting a factory-like tune is not an easy feat. As long as the air:fuel stays between about 12.8-13.2 under load, there isn’t any hp to be found in the mix. It’s all in the timing, which is straightforward to change in the chip.

ps- What suggests that you’re lean?
Old 07-08-2018, 11:44 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

temp rise on track and occasional audible pinging.

Ive been down road before with tuning so i get the process. It’s all in the shop.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:59 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

I am currently redoing my track car. Hopefully be done this week.

Being twin turbo on a 993 N/A motor low boost. I am running 993TT injectors. electronic boost control, AEM coils dual wideband O2 and Haltech 2500 Elite. Didn't see the need to go Motec, far more costly and didn't do anything for me the Haltech won't at a fraction the cost. Dyno tuning this week should be done by Friday. I will be controlling the fans and other components through it as well.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:53 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
I am currently redoing my track car. Hopefully be done this week.

Being twin turbo on a 993 N/A motor low boost. I am running 993TT injectors. electronic boost control, AEM coils dual wideband O2 and Haltech 2500 Elite. Didn't see the need to go Motec, far more costly and didn't do anything for me the Haltech won't at a fraction the cost. Dyno tuning this week should be done by Friday. I will be controlling the fans and other components through it as well.
Very cool. Yeah at some point, the factory system is just a very weak link. It's old, dated, and you need an EEPROM coder to change anything... and you're missing all sorts of modern sensors that allow the engine to run better and safer.

Question: are there any surprises you ran into going with a stand alone? Things like: cold start, gauges, alarms, fans, you know, the little stuff that needs to be sorted. My car will have AC, it will have heat, I'll want all gauges to work as OEM, and for fans (AC and oil specifically) to function right.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:17 PM
wallra
Pro

with my setup their was only 4 wires to tie into the car. the tact wire I had to hook into was under the drivers seat. I cut the old engine wiring harness open to just keep the oil pressure and temp wires. every thing else was replaced from the ECM back just like the harness in the site you posted. every thing works just like it did even cruse control. you'll see the engine harness is on the drivers side and the other harness for every thing else is on the passengers side.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:20 PM
wallra
Pro

keep us posted how this works out.
Old 07-09-2018, 10:22 PM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

For those of you who have switched to AEM or Motec. Can you list pros and cons of each system? Tunability? Cost? I know singer/bisomoto uses AEM and rothsport and rennsport use Motec.

Also, does anyone have a build sheet for an ITB GT3 intake system? Thinking of doing this in the future.
Old 07-10-2018, 04:33 AM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by erikerik
For those of you who have switched to AEM or Motec. Can you list pros and cons of each system? Tunability? Cost? I know singer/bisomoto uses AEM and rothsport and rennsport use Motec.

Also, does anyone have a build sheet for an ITB GT3 intake system? Thinking of doing this in the future.
I went AEM simply because of cost - it was the cheapest system out there with knock control - with hindsight I should have gone with Motec because I'm having issues getting my car mapped/finished as I've been without it for quite some time and the cost savings don't outweigh the time that I've been without the car.

I have a Rothsport intake which is a combination of 996 GT3 bits and Jenvey bits which I assume are made specifically for Rothsport - it's not a huge amount 996 bits from memory.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ECU & Tuning Options