Sponsored by:

WTB a rather specific 964 - wide body for DE

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 10:01 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 178 Posts
Default WTB a rather specific 964 - wide body for DE

I currently have an E46 M3 that I’ve built into a great street/DE car. It’s very well balanced and great to hoon around the track in. However, I just don’t feel the passion for it like I do older 911s. After years of wanting a 911, I finally bought a SC last year, and it’s been everything I dreamed of. The M3 makes me smile at how well it does things. The 911 makes me start laughing randomly because of how fun it is. And I want to take that fun to the track, even if it might be slower (or maybe not).

I thought of building up the SC to replace the M3, but I think I’d like to keep it as a cruiser and buy one already done. I spent a ton building the M3 and I’m not sure I want to do that again. My dream car has always been a wide body 964, especially in the RSR style, and if I’m going to get rid of the M3, it’s going to be for my ultimate car.

So I’m looking for a rather specific car. A wide body, conversion or not, set up for track duty but still street legal. The more that’s done, (suspension, safety, weight reduction, engine) the better. Ex race car? That’s fine as long as I can eventually register it. I’m considering 993s too, but the 964 just looks better to me. I might consider a narrow body but it’d have to be a great setup.

I know this is a long shot but you never know. And if anyone has views on this switch, opposing or not, I’d like to hear them. The more information the better. I’ve already considered 996 GT3s and caymans, but I’d rather keep my M3. I would like to go to a GT4 or 997 GT3 but their current values are more than I want to risk (and insure) on the track.
Old 07-03-2018, 12:46 PM
Nader Fotouhi
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Do a search for bobt993. He had an ad for his 993 3.8 RSR Clone race car. Not sure about street registration.
There is a supercharged (I think) 964 in classified
We will have our 993 race car FS with a rebuild engines. You could check it out in person at SP in August. I do not know if it is possible to register it for street, because well, it is a race car.
good luck
Old 07-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Nader. Are you talking about the white 993? I admired it last year when I was considering another white 993. I'll look for you at the Aug event..

I was looking at bobt993's ad yesterday and debating. His car is very similar to the kind of the thing I'm looking for.

Yeah, the street registration is tough, but I'd like to take it out occasionally on the weekend, and also not have to go pick up my trailer and load it to take it to the shop for every tech inspection or to get work done.

I do have a line on one currently that meets all my needs, but I wanted to put some feelers out there in case it falls through.
Old 07-05-2018, 08:17 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Get a truck, trailer and a cage for the E46. You will have more fun.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:21 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

I already have all that. But yes, that's my fear if I sell it.

My M3 has been upgraded in every way mechanically for fun runs and track duty (safety, engine, suspension, brakes, lsd, gearing, clutch, flywheel), while still looking mostly stock from the exterior. Earlier this week I took it to the shop for some work before the next event, and goosed it on the highway. It took off like a shot, much harder than I expected. Which I guess isn't surprising since the engine was just rebuilt with larger cams and it should be over 400hp now. It did make me wonder if I'm being stupid.

But then I got some pictures today of a clean 964 set up for DE and Club race duty, and reason went out the window...

I feel like I would regret it either way, but I've wanted a 964 since they came out (and stupidly passed on them for other cars for 10 years before the current runup) and while the M3 may be more capable, there has to be something said for being able to walk up to, get in, and flog the car you've always wanted? Or have I built it up too much in my head?
Old 07-05-2018, 11:00 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Putting logic to an illogical situation is useless. Best of luck in your search for a 964.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:24 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Your M3 sounds dialed-in and mega. You also seem very tuned to its handling. Keep it. Get an 964 for the street. Seems like you’ll have more fun with it that way, and will scratch that 964 itch that we all have on this forum.

Quick Reply: WTB a rather specific 964 - wide body for DE