Sponsored by:

Flexible brake hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 09:11 AM
ffc
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Flexible brake hose replacement

I am replacing my flexible brake hoses following an MOT failure for a bulge. If any of you have done this did you end up replacing the copper pipes on either end because they warped during removal or am I just very ham fisted? Also did anyone else go for aftermarket hoses?
Old 06-23-2018, 03:23 PM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I replaced my hoses with P-car flexi lnes, but built my own copper lines; bought a flaring kit from machine mart.

that way you can take your time, do each corner and not worry about having to be too careful on the the old lines.

K
Old 06-23-2018, 04:39 PM
ffc
Racer

Originally Posted by warmfuzzies
I replaced my hoses with P-car flexi lnes, but built my own copper lines; bought a flaring kit from machine mart.

that way you can take your time, do each corner and not worry about having to be too careful on the the old lines.

K
Thanks. i guess my next question is about the line material. Is copper OK or should Kunifer be used?
Old 06-23-2018, 04:44 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

oh man, you're probably a bit ham fisted. key with brake line flare fittings is: lots of soaks of PB plaster or whatever equivalent you have of penetrating oil, over a day or so. Then, using ONLY high quality flare wrench, a quick motion to break them loose, and use 2, one on each side of the fitting to keep from twisting them!

Being in UK suspect there is or was some corrosion?

If you've bent, you'll need to replace that section of hard line.
Old 06-23-2018, 05:47 PM
ffc
Racer

K
Originally Posted by Spyerx
oh man, you're probably a bit ham fisted. key with brake line flare fittings is: lots of soaks of PB plaster or whatever equivalent you have of penetrating oil, over a day or so. Then, using ONLY high quality flare wrench, a quick motion to break them loose, and use 2, one on each side of the fitting to keep from twisting them!

Being in UK suspect there is or was some corrosion?

If you've bent, you'll need to replace that section of hard line.
Ham fisted is right. I think the hard lines are originals and there is corrosion. I suspect replacing the hard lines is a good idea anyway. I was using a good flare wrench but only one, two is an excellent tip, thank you.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:23 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I used Kunifer, easy to bend and flare. Keeps looking good for a while.

Mine were so tight, no amount of penetrating fluid would ever uphold the name. AKA Most penetrating fluids, don't.

So, buy the new lines, make the new lines, then replace one at a time. Making it easy on yourself, less stress means less opportunity to Fudge up.

K
Old 06-26-2018, 05:50 AM
ffc
Racer

I used Kunifer, easy to bend and flare. Keeps looking good for a while.

Mine were so tight, no amount of penetrating fluid would ever uphold the name. AKA Most penetrating fluids, don't.

So, buy the new lines, make the new lines, then replace one at a time. Making it easy on yourself, less stress means less opportunity to Fudge up.

K
I have just ordered a flaring too, some Kunifer, fixings and a pipe bender. Let's see how it goes. It looks like an interesting process.

Quick Reply: Flexible brake hose replacement