Sponsored by:

Anyone have an extra fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 11:11 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Anyone have an extra fuel tank?

Anyone have a spare fuel tank laying around they want to get rid of cheap? While taking the evaporator out I found a repaired hole in mine. Looks like one of the previous idiots, I mean owners, of my car ran a screw into the front of the tank behind the plastic shield while installing an amp or something. It doesn’t leak but for peace of mind I would like to replace it. A big item like this wasn’t in the AC repair budget.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:21 PM
velocitylover
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I think this may be your ticket:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...IAAOSw~XpZXZpT
Price is very reasonable and you can make an offer...
No affiliation
Old 06-22-2018, 02:50 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Yeah I saw that on ebay. If I can't find one for around $100 I'm going to put the repaired one back in.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:55 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by mystert
Anyone have a spare fuel tank laying around they want to get rid of cheap? While taking the evaporator out I found a repaired hole in mine. Looks like one of the previous idiots, I mean owners, of my car ran a screw into the front of the tank behind the plastic shield while installing an amp or something. It doesn’t leak but for peace of mind I would like to replace it. A big item like this wasn’t in the AC repair budget.
If its just pin-hole size, you can probably epoxy it with some JB steel weld.
Old 06-22-2018, 02:57 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
If its just pin-hole size, you can probably epoxy it with some JB steel weld.
I think that's whats on there now.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:08 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

It's all fine unless you crash the car. I would bite the bullet and find a suitable replacement. If you have to put yours back in, make sure you keep an eye out for one that comes up.

Yes it's a safe design....but things around fuel should be right. Not "just ok".
Old 06-22-2018, 07:28 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Its just a roto-molded high density polyethylene (HDPE) thermoplastic tank. Be interesting to see the price spread between a new tank ($861.12) and having it properly fusion welded? There were slight modifications to the front sheet metal each model year but it looks like the MY91 changes required a new fuel tank that is not compatible with the previous years (PAG still sells both)
Old 06-22-2018, 11:55 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Its just a roto-molded high density polyethylene (HDPE) thermoplastic tank. Be interesting to see the price spread between a new tank ($861.12) and having it properly fusion welded? There were slight modifications to the front sheet metal each model year but it looks like the MY91 changes required a new fuel tank that is not compatible with the previous years (PAG still sells both)
Heres the previous owners repair-

Old 06-24-2018, 08:44 PM
Lorenzoh
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Where are you located? I know of one sitting around in a shop in deep north Hollywood/sun valley ca. I was there having my AC system repaired and noticed it sitting on the ground with crap piled on top of it. PM me if you want more info.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:52 PM
mystert
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lorenzoh
Where are you located? I know of one sitting around in a shop in deep north Hollywood/sun valley ca. I was there having my AC system repaired and noticed it sitting on the ground with crap piled on top of it. PM me if you want more info.
Thanks! My buddy had one from a 993 sitting around and I bought it off of him. I managed to crack the check valve on the expansion tank by forgetting to unhook the hose. Now to get the AC suitcase out.

Quick Reply: Anyone have an extra fuel tank?