964 PPI results

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 12:13 AM
Dtronics
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 964 PPI results

Hi RL,
I’m trying to make my leap into 964 ownership. I’ve been looking off/ on for years and I’m trying to buy a 90 C2 manual coupe with 110k miles. I just got the PPI results and here were the areas of concern:

Signs of Harness and roll cage
Limited/ no service records. No records of brake flush after track evidence
Large amount of oil leakage
Mismatched tire brands in front/ back. Dates are out of code
Shocks leaking, springs worn
Belts are worn/ frayed
Cars stumbles when warming up - O2 sensor?
Vehicle shows sitting outdoors for periods
No A/C - smoking from oil leaks and doesn’t blow cold
Scuffs uunder front end
Hood release broken
Oil gauge isn’t registering
Oil drips can be seen on ground when idilng
Large amplifier and wiring in front trunk
Hood appears to be refinished
Numerous dings
Rust on left fender
Cracked paint on hood, dent through paint
Cracked turn signal
Rear spoiler doesn’t function
Brake sensors are tied
Brake warning is on dash
Brake fluid looks dirty
Wetness around brake caliper bleeders
R12 AC caps

Oil pressure warming is major concern if not a sensor. Engine will most likely need a reseal, possible new bearings due to oil pressure issue. Needs new tires, shocks, springs, complete alignment and corner balance.

So now I’m trying to make a decision on this local car with a price a little over $50k. It’s a limited slip car and I’ve wanted a P car since I was a kid. I’m dead set on a 964 C2 coupe in a certain color combo so I’m conflicted. I know these cars cost money which I’m prepared for but I’d love to hear from the 964 owners on these concerns. Thanks guys!
Old 06-16-2018, 12:39 AM
gregmitch
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Depends on what are you looking for in a 964? Long term ownership, track use?
I know the feeling of finding something that you've been dreaming about and is now in your sights. I'm in a similar boat as you...I'm looking for a forever car and this sounds like something I'd pass on. Seems like a lot of sorting needs to be done.

Would you rather dump a boat load of money into this car or wait for one that is sorted, as you say you've been looking on and off for years. Rust scares me off.

What's the color combo?
Old 06-16-2018, 12:47 AM
911 jared
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 107 Posts

Thats a lot to tackle for a $50k+ car. Best of luck.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:59 AM
Dtronics
Instructor

Originally Posted by gregmitch
Depends on what are you looking for in a 964? Long term ownership, track use?
I know the feeling of finding something that you've been dreaming about and is now in your sights. I'm in a similar boat as you...I'm looking for a forever car and this sounds like something I'd pass on. Seems like a lot of sorting needs to be done.

Would you rather dump a boat load of money into this car or wait for one that is sorted, as you say you've been looking on and off for years. Rust scares me off.

What's the color combo?
It’s a forever car for sure. I know just about everyone on here can relate to searching for their dream car. It was crazy to find one only 30 minutes from my house. So yeah, its so tempting to overlook things but I’m trying to take a step back.

It's not a rare combo, Black/Black, but that’s what I love. I don’t mind putting money into a car but I’m so busy with work that ideally I was looking for something more well sorted.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:03 AM
Dtronics
Instructor

Originally Posted by 911 jared
Thats a lot to tackle for a $50k+ car. Best of luck.
Yeah, that’s what I was thinking too. Thanks for the well wishes.
Old 06-16-2018, 03:24 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

this one has serious leaks, did the flipper disclose this before you took it in and spent the money on the ppi? i'd be pretty upset as its so obvious
Old 06-16-2018, 03:25 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Will you be doing the work yourself or will you be paying to have someone rebuild it? Without knowing the cause of leaks and other issues I’ll give a best case scenario on cost:

- Suspension rebuild with shocks, springs, steering rack, bushings etc: $6500
- Engine rebuild: $13k (minimum)
- Basic Respray to address paint issues and rust: $10k minimum
- Rebuld brakes: $3,500
- AC rebuild: $2500

So your $50k car just became a $86k car with possible prior accident history, no prior records and higher miles. None of this includes any interior work which I would be surprised if it doesn’t need. I wouldn’t walk away, I would run away from this. Maybe I’m out of touch with 964 prices but this car seems excessively high considering the issues.

Personally if you’re willing to pay that much I would wait for the right car to come along and spend the money for a well maintained car instead. Open your search up to the entire country and if money isn’t an issue have a trustworthy dealer do the search for you and pay their premium. Another alternative is to buy a black/tan or black/grey coupe and have the interior redone in black. Keep the original parts if you do decide to sell. Then sell the black interior parts separately.

Old 06-16-2018, 03:30 AM
997Pilot
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Will you be doing the work yourself or will you be paying to have someone rebuild it? Without knowing the cause of leaks and other issues I’ll give a best case scenario on cost:

- Suspension rebuild with shocks, springs, steering rack, bushings etc: $6500
- Engine rebuild: $13k (minimum)
- Basic Respray to address paint issues and rust: $10k minimum
- Rebuld brakes: $3,500
- AC rebuild: $2500

So your $50k car just became a $86k car with possible prior accident history. None of this includes any interior work which I would be surprised if it doesn’t need.

Personally if you’re willing to pay that much I would wait for the right car to come along and spend the money for a well maintained car instead. Open your search up to the entire country and if money isn’t an issue have a trustworthy dealer do the search for you and pay their premium. Another alternative is to buy a black/tan or black/grey coupe and have the interior redone in black. Keep the original parts if you do decide to sell. Then sell the black interior parts separately.

Those numbers for the suspension are pretty high, a rebuilt steering rack costs less than a $1000 . the rest you aren't too far off, in my search this far i've encountered several scenarios. If the op is buying from a flipper that couldn't even disclose those serious leaks before taking it in for a ppi and making op spend ppi money i'd run as surely there are many more hidden things the ppi probably didn't even catch
Old 06-16-2018, 03:40 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

My suspension numbers might be a bit high but I’m also assuming tie rods (inner/outer) are shot and their will be some upgrades made along the way since you only want to do it once. Having just had it done the pricing is actually pretty close.
Old 06-16-2018, 06:25 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

You should be able to get a properly sorted car for 50K. This is just allot of headaches.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:07 AM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 223 Posts

If you're willing to consider a C4, I know someone in Westchester with a black on black 1991 that is thinking about selling a car with some issues but in better condition than that for a lot less.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:12 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

Sounds like too much money to me.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:51 AM
Dtronics
Instructor

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply and provide insights, it's very helpful and appreciated.

Originally Posted by 997Pilot
this one has serious leaks, did the flipper disclose this before you took it in and spent the money on the ppi? i'd be pretty upset as its so obvious
The seller said the leaks were a small fix, $1,500 to fix but didn't mentioned most of the stuff that came up in the PPI. It looks like it's a whole can of worms looking at the report.

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I'm planning to work on my car but I also don't have a ton of free time so I'd use my independent mechanic for a lot. Thanks for providing advice and a breakdown on some costs, it's very helpful.

Originally Posted by newsboy
You should be able to get a properly sorted car for 50K. This is just allot of headaches.
That's kind of where my head is at. I know these cars require work regardless but I'd rather pay more for a better one with less issues.

Originally Posted by spartansix
If you're willing to consider a C4, I know someone in Westchester with a black on black 1991 that is thinking about selling a car with some issues but in better condition than that for a lot less.
I'm hoping to find a C2 but I'd like to hear more about this car. Would you mind messaging me with some info? I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Vegas993
Sounds like too much money to me.
Yeah, i'd rather pay up for the right car. I just don't want to pay up for one that needs a ton of work. Beautiful car in your picture btw.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:51 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Man that's a lot of work for a 50k car.
Is this car way out of line, or is 50k the new 35k?
Old 06-16-2018, 02:00 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Run Forest Run

Not worth $50k. Car sounds like it needs a min of $10k to get sorted, but probably allot more if you want to make it nice.

Quick Reply: 964 PPI results