Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   964 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum-59/)
-   -   Shopping 964, 993, 996TT, 997TT all Cabs - Shocking! (https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/1074063-shopping-964-993-996tt-997tt-all-cabs-shocking.html)

Raron 06-12-2018 01:06 PM

Shopping 964, 993, 996TT, 997TT all Cabs - Shocking!

First please excuse any typos. I’m in the air and typing on small iPhone!

As my my title says my net admittedly quite broad! Let me give a little background. I have owned 944 turbo, 944S, 968, 993, and a heavily modded 997TT shock I sold for my current main toy - a Lambo Huracan.

I am now lookong for a new daily and will be moving to SoCal in a month. Hence I was shopping for Cabs. The criteria is:

Fun to drive - meaning steering, ride, sound
Great looking
No rattles
Appreciating - cause why not! Nearly all the non 991’s are!
Bonus - Can take toddlers in back. Have a Land Cruiser for family duty but would be nice to be able to occasionally enjoy the Cab with them as well.

I took a trip to drive a 90 C2 Cab. I think these are the coolest looking of the 4 I am looking at.

I used to only prefer the 993. Now I find it a little bit around and dare I say not as much character as the more chiseled lines of the 964. The 964 still has that flat front in profile where the lights go from a pillar straight to the nose. Which looks great when it is lowered on nice wheels. I think these are the coolest looking of the three I’m looking at. Plus they are much more rare than a 993. When you see a super clean 964 it looks pretty special. The only problem Is that either all of them or the one I drove is really lacking in the fun to drive department. It was solid for a convertible, no real rattles, but the steering felt unnecessarily heavy and without feedback or sharp turn-in. The AC did not work very good. And I was told that this is common on 964. It felt like I’ll would get this one almost exclusively for looks and nostalgia - less for driving pleasure. This was disappointing as I was really was excited about the idea of having a somewhat classic 911 that looked gorgeous and even better lowered on some Turbo 3.6 replicas.

996TT Cab
It was an X50, full leather, exhaust - forgot which one, lowered on H&R’s. This one was the most surprising. It was super solid. Had great steering feel with its somewhat thin wheel. The interior looked and felt great with all that leather! In a strange way it felt like it had better build quality and ride than my old 7TT or the 7TT Cab I would drive next. I did NOT expect this. True, missing the overtly bulging fenders gives it a more svelte lowslung coupe feel - yet it felt more engaging to drive. Very shocked.

997.1TT Cab
For some reason the one I drove did not impress at all. More rattles than 996TT, felt more bumps and the steering didn’t have as much feedback of what’s happening at the road. I wonder if this is typical or if I need to drive to another.

993 Cab
I have not driven one since have not driven one since my old one which has been about 13 years! I have been so focused on trying out a 964 that I had not seriously planned on driving a 993. I may need to do this.

Summary
Which one seemed I could immediately get in drive and enjoy? Shockingly the 6TT Cab! And ironically where I used to hate the lights and lack of curvy fenders (hence my 993 and 997) I now kind of find them sorta cool and even exotic when lowered and GT2 nose! The fenders not popping out as much makes the car look longer which is either good or bad. Since this will be my chill car even with kids I suppose it’s neutral to good. Not nearly as long and bloaty looking as M4 I was also considering!

Fiscal considerations... the uber clean and low mileage 996 I would buy would be around $60k. A clean low mileage 997.1 around $70k-$75k. The 996 is on the rise. The 997 has been flat for the last 5 years or so. Which is very good. Perhaps 996 is only rising because it was ridiculously undervalued in the first place! Who knows what the future holds - but I predict the very things that made the 996 a dog will make it desirable later (its size, GT-ish, lights etc) cause that’s what always happens.

Anyhow, whom of you have also owned or currently own a any of the others? Also was my interpretation of 964 Cab correct? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Matt Andrews 06-12-2018 01:26 PM

Where in socal are you moving and what does your commute look like? I don't know much about the cab versions of these cars, so my input is only based on the HT versions. The 964 is an engaging car to drive. but I wouldn't want to drive it up and down socal freeways everyday. I'd want the 997 if that was the case. I love manual transmissions, but there were solid tip options in later 997's. And if the commute is ugly, that might be a good idea.

mgrimm 06-12-2018 01:34 PM

I own a '90 triple black 964 C2 cab, a '96 993 C2 coupe, a '75 Carrera coupe, and a brand spanking new Mecan S. I also had a '73 911S coupe that I owned for 19 years and drove for over 220,000 miles. Hands down, the '90 Cab is my favorite to drive. It has 70,000 miles on it. It is nearly stock with the exception of the radio and a growling dual exhaust I had installed about 2,000 miles ago. Despite the fact I'm in WI I drop the top at every opportunity. The drivetrain is silky smooth; the torque and acceleration is solid; and the handling is great. I take it out at every opportunity.

Raron 06-12-2018 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by mgrimm (Post 15073401)
I own a '90 triple black 964 C2 cab, a '96 993 C2 coupe, a '75 Carrera coupe, and a brand spanking new Mecan S. I also had a '73 911S coupe that I owned for 19 years and drove for over 220,000 miles. Hands down, the '90 Cab is my favorite to drive. It has 70,000 miles on it. It is nearly stock with the exception of the radio and a growling dual exhaust I had installed about 2,000 miles ago. Despite the fact I'm in WI I drop the top at every opportunity. The drivetrain is silky smooth; the torque and acceleration is solid; and the handling is great. I take it out at every opportunity.

Thanks for the feedback. Is it the 90 Cab then most fun to drive because of how “cool” it is, open air or actual driving dynamics? Do you find the steering to be underwhelming and slow compared to 993?

mgrimm 06-12-2018 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Raron (Post 15073751)

Thanks for the feedback. Is it the 90 Cab then most fun to drive because of how “cool” it is, open air or actual driving dynamics? Do you find the steering to be underwhelming and slow compared to 993?

It's the most fun to drive because of the entire combination of having the top down, solid performance, and very good handling. The 993 has better handling and acceleration; the '75 Carrera is very light with great handling (and I love that 915 transmission); and the Mecan S has incredible acceleration with an unmatched 7-speed transmission.

Marine Blue 06-12-2018 04:03 PM

The 964 you drove likely needs suspension updates and upgrades. They can drive nearly as good as a 993 although the steering will feel slightly heavier.

Raron 06-12-2018 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Marine Blue (Post 15073814)
The 964 you drove likely needs suspension updates and upgrades. They can drive nearly as good as a 993 although the steering will feel slightly heavier.

What exactly are these updates and upgrades? I had already planned on H&R with Bilsteins. By updates do you mean urethane bushings?

Joseph Schneider 06-12-2018 08:26 PM

Uprating the 964 Suspension

On the 964, I would suggest uprating your struts/shock to Bilstein B6 units. I'd then look at either Eibach Pro or Eibach Sport springs to get a more aggressive stance. I currently run Bilstein B6 with Vogtland springs which gave the the euro RS ride height. While your at it, I would upgrade the shock & strut mounts front and rear. If you really want to tighten up handling, also upgrade the motor mounts to the RS spec units.

The Greek 06-12-2018 08:35 PM

I agree with the sentiments above regarding the 964. I was so pumped. Did all these research and when I got the car and drove it stock, I was like, “um, did I just make a mistake?” It was dull, and all over the place on corners.

Replaced suspension, and other mods and all I can say is I’m obsessed with the car. I drive it more than my GT3 and Range Rover. It’s just the perfect cruiser.

Raron 06-12-2018 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Greek (Post 15074508)
I agree with the sentiments above regarding the 964. I was so pumped. Did all these research and when I got the car and drove it stock, I was like, “um, did I just make a mistake?” It was dull, and all over the place on corners.

Replaced suspension, and other mods and all I can say is I’m obsessed with the car. I drive it more than my GT3 and Range Rover. It’s just the perfect cruiser.

This is encouraging to hear! Did you replace the steering wheel? What all suspension mods did you do?

Lastly, this car had luke warm air and the fan knob did not control speed anymore - it was full blast only. Do these cars have AC issues? And if so what’s the fix?

The Greek 06-12-2018 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Raron (Post 15074642)

This is encouraging to hear! Did you replace the steering wheel? What all suspension mods did you do?

Lastly, this car had luke warm air and the fan knob did not control speed anymore - it was full blast only. Do these cars have AC issues? And if so what’s the fix?

Steering made a HUGE difference. I went with a leather Momo Prototipo wheel. Second biggest difference was cut airbox, exhaust and chip. Makes the car wake up and perfect amount of power. Relatively cheap and easy to do.

Suspenion? Well when you PM Boosted, Mooty and Spyrex, get out the wallet. I replaced all the bushings, and did a lot of Elephant parts, along with wevo engine mounts. It changed the entire car. It turns on a dime now with sharp turn in. PM if you want more info.

As for a/c I’m pretty sure it’s solid like the 993. Mine was upgraded to R134a and aside from a recharge mine blows ice cold. And I live in FL.

Spyerx 06-12-2018 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Greek (Post 15074666)
Steering made a HUGE difference. I went with a leather Momo Prototipo wheel. Second biggest difference was cut airbox, exhaust and chip. Makes the car wake up and perfect amount of power. Relatively cheap and easy to do.

Suspenion? Well when you PM Boosted, Mooty and Spyrex, get out the wallet. I replaced all the bushings, and did a lot of Elephant parts, along with wevo engine mounts. It changed the entire car. It turns on a dime now with sharp turn in. PM if you want more info.

As for a/c I’m pretty sure it’s solid like the 993. Mine was upgraded to R134a and aside from a recharge mine blows ice cold. And I live in FL.

Well mine is a little overboard. :-) For a great cruiser: good shocks / springs, new engine mounts, make sure all the rubber is good on the a-arms, RS inner steering tie rods, ERP or other outer steering tie rods, get a proper alignment/setup, and a different steering wheel.

onelove 06-13-2018 10:11 AM

THIS. (and fortunately/unfortunately driving your car has since cost me a ton of money in suspension on the 993 but anxious to get her on the road after).

Raron 06-13-2018 01:05 PM

Thank you! But regarding AC you are saying the AC on 964 is typically as dependable as 993? The seller implicated AC never works on 964 and that I can expect updating to cost like $2k. Is this typically a problem and required fix?

Ralph3. 06-13-2018 05:09 PM

For a daily wouldn't you be better off with the newer vehicle? 964's are getting up there, almost 30 years old. The air in mine is non operational and I haven't decided to fix it yet. Of course I can just put the top down during warmer weather. :thumbsup: