Sponsored by:

Modification Regrets?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 01:57 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Sounds like its too late but you absolutely have to raise the idle speed RPM to 1200 with this mod. Some people can getaway without doing so but they are in the minority!
I changed to single belt and RS pulley 4 years ago, idle speed still perfect at 800. Its never caused me any issues at all
Old 06-11-2018, 03:08 AM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Light flywheel, sports clutch and chip. Zero power increased, lot's of suffer from comfort and usability.

Edit:
Let's take back a bit. Mistake was buy parts from different stores. If I had bought the entire package from the same location, the modification would have worked.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:57 AM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Sounds like its too late but you absolutely have to raise the idle speed RPM to 1200 with this mod. Some people can getaway without doing so but they are in the minority!
Thanks your advice. However, it is too late you are right. BTW, how to raise the idle speed to 1200rpm on a stock Tiptronic 964?
Old 06-11-2018, 05:33 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by power_up
Thanks your advice. However, it is too late you are right. BTW, how to raise the idle speed to 1200rpm on a stock Tiptronic 964?
Although I'm sure you could raise the idle quite easily, I'm not sure it would be a good idea on an automatic. Raise the revs to 1200 in neutral then stick it in drive and you will see what I mean.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:01 AM
Rancie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For me it was the function first shifter. Very nice quality but I regret not fitting the FD/Rothsport billet and upgraded additional linkages. They would have been better for my particular build.

I'm not complaining, it's a Very nice product but in time i'll repalce with the FD/Rothsport items
Old 06-11-2018, 11:42 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by power_up
However, it is too late you are right. BTW, how to raise the idle speed to 1200rpm on a stock Tiptronic 964?
Eprom modification

Originally Posted by Dingo
Although I'm sure you could raise the idle quite easily, I'm not sure it would be a good idea on an automatic. Raise the revs to 1200 in neutral then stick it in drive and you will see what I mean.
There are correction map(s) for that but for a 400RPM increase you shouldn't have to change any of them. Start a tiptronic in cold weather, look at the idle rpm, shift into gear and go; is 1200 still a problem? During the three stages of warmup the idle speed can be adjusted by the CHT sensor. When you have your foot on the throttle to raise the RPM to 1200 and shift out of Park/Neutral, the ECU is working under entirely different assumptions (and correction maps) than if you were not on the throttle.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

a few thoughts... Cars are a system. A group of parts/functions that work together to perform a greater function (driving).
Stock the 964 C2 for me is too soft, heavy, and cushy. The issue is, it's a lot more modern than the previous G cars which in my opinion are best stock, they feel old, and that old is awesome and part of the character.
The 964, its modern enough that the old feels old and not awesome.
So, I mod, like a mad man, with some vision of what I want. Like a mini RS raw dog with AC and power steering lol.

BUT, the key is cohesiveness of the mods. When you do things, its hard to piecemeal them and expect them to work as expected. So you kind of have to think in a system way, for example, just putting springs on a car, often not great. But springs and dampers, can be good.

And, as you go through the process you are basically doing R&D for yourself, so some things will work, some won't. No regrets, just part of the process really....

BTW, a LWFW does help acceleration and definitely helps aggressive driving and heel/toe shifting. Stock the car is very lazy to drop revs and smooth track driving / shifting is more challenging.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:59 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi Spyrex,
very well said !
Trying to go for a new exhaust system not really bother by the way it sounds or looks, as long as it can pass noise test at tracks,
I am interested in real power , how is yours ?
I am really scared of spending 3k on a system and lose power,
did you do before and after dino ?
cheers
Konstantin
Old 06-11-2018, 11:46 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Hi Spyrex,
very well said !
Trying to go for a new exhaust system not really bother by the way it sounds or looks, as long as it can pass noise test at tracks,
I am interested in real power , how is yours ?
I am really scared of spending 3k on a system and lose power,
did you do before and after dino ?
cheers
Konstantin
I have NO idea :-) I do know I had stock exhaust, and now I don't. And it will sound better. And probably make a little power !!!
Old 06-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

100% agree on mods being a system.

For me, my 964 felt a little too soft and mushy. I did KW V3's, bushings, engine mounts, sway bars, rear pillow ball spring plates, and E88's with NT01s, a good corner balance and alignment, and the rothsport shifter. car feels sharper now. I've pulled some weight as well. but nothing that isn't reversible or that makes it less of a street car. Most polarizing mod is recaro pole positions. Now, if its hot (by socal standards) or I'm taking the family, I'll take the 912 instead. I enjoy them for spirited driving, but they are an ordeal to get in and out of.
Old 06-12-2018, 05:47 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish the lwfw stalled less. I have a bunch of drivability issues (stalls occasionally and hates cold starts) but otherwise I wouldn't change a thing. Even the clutch setup isn't that bad. Another ecu will Sort that out at some point
Old 06-12-2018, 08:21 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by freedman
I changed to single belt and RS pulley 4 years ago, idle speed still perfect at 800. Its never caused me any issues at all
I've also had no issues with the single belt conversion - a great mod IMHO. Running with the Steve Wong Chip may help.

Totally agree on other comments on the 993 brake fluid reservoir cap - environmentalists didn't want the brake fluid leaking out on the street, but who wants it leaking into your frunk? I'm tempted to convert my 993's cap to a 964 cap.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:21 AM
Rancie
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good point about cohesion. These cars are well suited to bolt on modifications and there are many different options available. You really do need to be clear about what you are looking to ultimately create. A lot of people have an athestic objective in mind but lees seem to have a clear idea about exactly what they want dynamically but as always in that department it's the driver that makes the biggest difference - which I suppose means that modifying your driving style via some decent driver training is often objectively the best money spent. The worst spent is a little more subjective.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:23 AM
PhatPhlatSix
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
I wish the lwfw stalled less. I have a bunch of drivability issues (stalls occasionally and hates cold starts) but otherwise I wouldn't change a thing. Even the clutch setup isn't that bad. Another ecu will Sort that out at some point
The fix to this is raising the the Over-Run Fuel-CutOff (ORFCO) threshold for reinstatement by a few hundred rpm. In simple terms, when you shutoff the throttle whilst driving, the fuel-injection is shut-off completely. As the engine speed drops, the ECU has to switch the fuel injectors back on in anticipation of you dipping the clutch or going into neutral. From memory, this threshold is at about 1250rpm in a 964. So, if you dip the clutch at say 1300rpm with a LWFW, the engine speed drops so fast that the injectors don't get a chance to re-power the engine. The LWFW fix merely raises this threshold to around 1600rpm, thus giving the engine enough time to "relight". To help with stalling at cold start, the ignition advance around the idle speed area can be raised slightly.

PM me if you want more info....
Old 06-14-2018, 05:29 AM
LM964
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by jgj
Cup pipe you mean primary silencer, correct?
Yes

Quick Reply: Modification Regrets?