Which primary bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 03:24 PM
_Remi
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Which primary bypass?

Hi guys,

Decided to try a primary bypass on my 93 cab and wondering which one to order.Of course if you are somewhat local to the SF Bay Area and have one for sale, that's even better

Anything else? Any reason for the price difference?

Thanks!
Old 06-03-2018, 03:25 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

they are all the same. go cheap. or buy used.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:26 PM
Joseph Schneider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Bypass...

they pretty much serve the same purpose and offer the same benefits.

My my suggestion is buy a quality used example. The material of the pipe (and condition) are key.

I have a Fabspeed cup pipe on my ‘92 coupe (with the stock secondary muffler) and it is great. Bought it used off eBay.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:06 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Good thoughts already provided. My car had one installed when I purchased it. I think it is a Fabspeed unit. I have had it off and on the car a couple of times while doing other work.

I would opt for a single piece unit over the two piece. I ended up replacing the hold down straps because the ones with mine were pretty junky. Used the factory straps from an early car and cut them to size.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:09 PM
_Remi
Racer

Great, thanks for the replies.

I looked around and snatched a 50-mile Dansk for $200 (vs $300), it will arrive shortly
Old 06-06-2018, 12:50 PM
tbennett017
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMHO, that's the best sounding combination. Good move. I have spare secondary mufflers hanging around if you want one. Sometimes the secondary will crack due to the higher heat from this setup.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:56 PM
fasterlaster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been riding with the secondary delete for a few years now and want to see how I like the primary only delete (and reinstall the secondary). I don't see any in the classified, but wanted to see if anyone has a used cup pipe in the 'need to sell eventually' pile they want to rid them selves of.
Old 06-24-2018, 06:28 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Schneider
they pretty much serve the same purpose and offer the same benefits.

My my suggestion is buy a quality used example.

agree with this ^^^

Originally Posted by fasterlaster
I've been riding with the secondary delete for a few years now and want to see how I like the primary only delete (and reinstall the secondary). I don't see any in the classified, but wanted to see if anyone has a used cup pipe in the 'need to sell eventually' pile they want to rid them selves of.
i have done both... my take... j pipe is better for a street car as it sounds better at idle and mid range rpms and gives a little midrange torque boost... otoh rs pipe center delete take out more weight from under the *** and gives an hp boost but noticeable only when you really rev out the car... so better for track car or full out hot rod
Old 06-26-2018, 12:06 PM
_Remi
Racer

Alright, the Dansk primary bypass has arrived and I had it installed yesterday. First off, I paid $200 and the seller was quite a stand up guy: he had lost a piece of hardware and as such, got me a completely new kit.

Unfortunately, I don't have the space and the tools to tackle the install myself and had to pay 2.5 hours to get it done. That was a bit of a surprise, I would have expected it to be a bit simpler but the fitting was not perfect out of the box and some nuts and bolts were difficult to remove. That makes it a $600 modification all-in.

I have not had time to drive it on a back road, I picked it up, drove it on the freeway and in the street. At low RPM it's somewhat subtle and that's exactly what I wanted. Not a major difference at regular freeway speed but you know it's there and it makes you want to go fast. Which I will do pretty soon.

Not a great video but it shows how mellow it is when you don't push it:

Oh, and that 12 lbs net weight loss? Looks like my butt dyno is not calibrated for 0.4% changes
Old 06-26-2018, 12:10 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Have you drilled the air box too? Very nice deep sound at WOT and 4,000+ RPM.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:10 PM
911 jared
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 107 Posts

Plenty of used ones on ebay thru autobahn in el cajon CA aka 964parts.

Quick Reply: Which primary bypass?