Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not starter, not ignition switch, not battery - what could it be?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 10:16 PM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not starter, not ignition switch, not battery - what could it be?

I am really puzzled. Occasionally it takes 2 or 3 turns of the key to getting the starter going. The other times there is nothing. I changed the ignition switch (a real pain), changed the starter motor and checked (cleaned) the battery connections. Any ideas what else it could be.
1991 C4
Old 05-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I had that problem with a rebuilt starter. once I changed to a new one it was fine.

Elliot
Old 05-26-2018, 03:45 PM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Do you hear starter solenoid moving but not engaging? Inside starter are 3 planetary gears that get dirty and bind up with the heavy grease used - all restricts free movement of the starter gear to engage. You can take all apart and clean or spring for a new starter ( recommended) or rebuilt starter. This should clear up issue.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:15 PM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gus
Do you hear starter solenoid moving but not engaging? Inside starter are 3 planetary gears that get dirty and bind up with the heavy grease used - all restricts free movement of the starter gear to engage. You can take all apart and clean or spring for a new starter ( recommended) or rebuilt starter. This should clear up issue.
Thank you. When the key is turned I hear nothing indicating that there is some intermittent electrical connection problem. I will eventually look at the starter motor and solenoid.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:22 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 175 Posts

Have you checked the electrical connections at the starter and the starter ground? Maybe they have some corrosion and need to be cleaned and tightened.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:02 AM
perlfather
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Have you checked the electrical connections at the starter and the starter ground? Maybe they have some corrosion and need to be cleaned and tightened.
Thanks. Good idea. Yes, this was done when the starter was replaced.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:42 AM
jevvy
3rd Gear

If the solenoid is not making a noise then you are not getting enough volts to activate it. You need to work backwards from starter to ignition switch looking for where the volts drop on the yellow wire while trying to crank.

Sounds like its the low power side of the starter circuit that is faulty (yellow wire) so it is unlikely that the fat +ve and -ve cables are at fault.

Search online for voltage drop testing techniques.

Good luck.

Trending Topics

Old 06-01-2018, 08:12 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Securely lift the rear of the car so that you can get under it - double check the transmission is in neutral. Get under the rear of the car and with a pair of pliers and bridge the solenoid terminal and the main 12v lead. If the engine spins over then your issue is upstream of here.

Quick Reply: Not starter, not ignition switch, not battery - what could it be?