Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do i have to lower/loosen/remove the bumper to reinsert the rubber whachamacallit

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 12:08 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts
Default do i have to lower/loosen/remove the bumper to reinsert the rubber whachamacallit

it just won't slide under the metal slit on the fender....seems to be no way to get it under that as it sits....grrrrr..... maybe I'm missing something?
Old 05-21-2018, 09:13 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

The metal plate that is riveted to the bumper is a royal PITA to deal with. You can work extra hard to get it right with the bumper installed or remove the bumper and it is easiest to slide the rubber over the plate instead of trying to push it on. Sliding it from one side of the opening to the other catching the corner of the plate is the best way to get it locked in position. You then need to take the time to make sure the metal plate under the frunk seal isn't warping the bumper as you tighten the 4 screws.

Not sure if I am explaining myself properly but it is a bit of work to get it right.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:09 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 119 Posts

The strip is riveted between an aluminum plate and the bumper itself. Pulling the bumper is he only way to really know what your dealing with. I suspect your aluminum is bent because somebody didn't follow procedure and forced the strip underneath it.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:34 AM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts

ahh yes, thank you gentlemen, sliding it through, rings a bell, i have seen that procedure before...so it is best to at least lower it, do you have a link to bumper removal handy...i am working on the lawn in my 'hof'...back yard, will have to get the jack out i'm sure, can barely get my arm under the car...may have to wait till i can get access to a friend's lift, again, gracias...

Quick Reply: do i have to lower/loosen/remove the bumper to reinsert the rubber whachamacallit