Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 964 squealing squeaky Brakes - Solved.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 02:51 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 149 Posts
Default Porsche 964 squealing squeaky Brakes - Solved.

Just posting this incase some others run into this issue, i just put new brakes & rotors on my 964 last month, and since putting them on there was a terrible squeal when getting to a slow stop with lighter braking pressure. The brakes & rotors i got were from Pelican Parts, the brake pads were the Textar ones that supposably are like OEM - My mechanic tried 2 twice to take them off, grind the edges of the pads to stop the squeal, it would work for a day or so then start squeaking again - Tried changing rotors from one side to another, tried brake shims, tried that lubricant, nothing worked..the whistle at slow stops was ridiculous & embarrassing..I called Pelican they said these textars shouldn't do this..but my mechanic suggested it maybe the pads themselves.

Solution: Ended up installing ceramic brake pads the brand is called O.P which the mechanic recommended & that solved the issue. So the Textars were the problem, i'm sure not everyone will have an issue with them, but my car sure did.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:06 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Good to know. How is the brake dust on the ceramics? One thing I have noticed with the stock pads (assuming mine are stock ) is that they barely leave any dust on the wheels, even after some aggressive canyon driving. If the ceramics offer low dust and less squealing seems like a nice upgrade.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:11 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I had the same experience, switched to Mintex pads... and that fixed my squealing too.

The Mintex pads work fine, but produce dust just like the Textars.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:28 PM
Streetdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Zimmerman pads. No squeaking and no dust.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:58 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

No idea what's on mine but it does the same thing. When braking gently it squeals like a stuck pig! Very embarrassing.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:57 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dingo
No idea what's on mine but it does the same thing. When braking gently it squeals like a stuck pig! Very embarrassing.
Dingo, i wasn't able to live with that any longer, it did that for a month and drove me insane..just change to diff pads, i bet thats' the problem.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Good to know. How is the brake dust on the ceramics? One thing I have noticed with the stock pads (assuming mine are stock ) is that they barely leave any dust on the wheels, even after some aggressive canyon driving. If the ceramics offer low dust and less squealing seems like a nice upgrade.
Haven't really looking yet to see how dust factor is, only had them on 3 days, but will def check.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:07 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Dingo, i wasn't able to live with that any longer, it did that for a month and drove me insane..just change to diff pads, i bet thats' the problem.
Thanks tarek, if I drove my car more often I would have gone insane by now! Once I'm done with the fan and tail lights I'll do the pads!
Old 05-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

How about using the factory shims for this? I recently change pads and rotors and I’m having the same issue. I’m gonna pull the pads and try backing spray which is supposed to bond the pad to the brake caliper piston pulling it away from the rotor. In my mind it just adds a layer of goo that holds up to heat and reduces the possibility of vibration.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:08 PM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
How about using the factory shims for this? I recently change pads and rotors and I’m having the same issue. I’m gonna pull the pads and try backing spray which is supposed to bond the pad to the brake caliper piston pulling it away from the rotor. In my mind it just adds a layer of goo that holds up to heat and reduces the possibility of vibration.
Tried shims they didn't help either, only thing that worked was the new pads (and didn't put shims on )
Old 05-22-2018, 03:01 AM
afshinbahrami
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
Just posting this incase some others run into this issue, i just put new brakes & rotors on my 964 last month, and since putting them on there was a terrible squeal when getting to a slow stop with lighter braking pressure. The brakes & rotors i got were from Pelican Parts, the brake pads were the Textar ones that supposably are like OEM - My mechanic tried 2 twice to take them off, grind the edges of the pads to stop the squeal, it would work for a day or so then start squeaking again - Tried changing rotors from one side to another, tried brake shims, tried that lubricant, nothing worked..the whistle at slow stops was ridiculous & embarrassing..I called Pelican they said these textars shouldn't do this..but my mechanic suggested it maybe the pads themselves.

Solution: Ended up installing ceramic brake pads the brand is called O.P which the mechanic recommended & that solved the issue. So the Textars were the problem, i'm sure not everyone will have an issue with them, but my car sure did.
very helpful Tarek, thank you for sharing. My brand new pads squeak exactly as yours did....under light breaking only,,,
Old 05-24-2018, 06:57 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Good timing on this thread. I just put factory rotors and OE Pagid pads on my '91 Turbo and they squeal louder than anything I've ever had. I then liberally applied extreme heat brake grease at every contact point (except for the rotor surface of course - that goes without saying but if I didn't say that I'm sure somebody else would bring that up...). That didn't help much...
I ordered up the shims as well as factory Porsche pads...so we'll see. So fun.

One concern I have now is I have these brand new rotors with maybe 25 miles of use on them with Pagid brake pads (some bedding in) and now I'm changing to another brand pad - hopefully changing pads (pad compound) won't cause issues. Any BTDT there? No desire to turn brand new rotors....

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'00 Audi S4 highly mod'd DD
Old 10-08-2018, 03:52 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
Good timing on this thread. I just put factory rotors and OE Pagid pads on my '91 Turbo and they squeal louder than anything I've ever had. I then liberally applied extreme heat brake grease at every contact point (except for the rotor surface of course - that goes without saying but if I didn't say that I'm sure somebody else would bring that up...). That didn't help much...
I ordered up the shims as well as factory Porsche pads...so we'll see. So fun.

One concern I have now is I have these brand new rotors with maybe 25 miles of use on them with Pagid brake pads (some bedding in) and now I'm changing to another brand pad - hopefully changing pads (pad compound) won't cause issues. Any BTDT there? No desire to turn brand new rotors....

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'00 Audi S4 highly mod'd DD

Hey Brandon, lets hear an update did your new pads squeal? The ones on my car i made this thread about (sold now but always in touch with the buyer) are still good and he hasn't had any serious squealing issues, been 4-5 months since installing the ceramics on it.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:28 PM
TongPhan
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tarek, so glad that you made this thread.

I wanna try the O.P. pads but wanted to ask you if the new owner reported abnormal brake dust.
Old 03-19-2019, 12:45 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TongPhan
Hi Tarek, so glad that you made this thread.

I wanna try the O.P. pads but wanted to ask you if the new owner reported abnormal brake dust.
Tong, i am always in touch with the new owner, and he actually did a lot of mods to the car and has some very shiny deep rims on it now and has not mentioned anything about brake dust. You can follow him on insta if you want (he's totally cool with it) _Lordjimmy
Old 03-19-2019, 09:11 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 1,168 Posts

Textar is the OE supplier for the 964 and most of Porsche. Never had an issue with the squealing and I have to assume it was something else causing it. Might be the ceramic pads are a loss fit on the Pad guides or what was causing them to stick was removed on the last swap.

Quick Reply: Porsche 964 squealing squeaky Brakes - Solved.