GT3 Oil Pump/ Oil Pressure Release - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

GT3 Oil Pump/ Oil Pressure Release

Old 05-16-2018, 11:02 AM
Gus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default GT3 Oil Pump/ Oil Pressure Release

For those of you have that have added a GT3 Oil Pump Mod to their engine.
Did you make any modification to the oil pressure release valve either by removing washers or reducing spring length. This would allow the oil pressure to come back into normal operating range. If you did what or how did you make this modification and what is you current oil pressure?
I have not made the reduction and my oil pressure appears to be excessively high, running above 4 bars on start then settling at about 3 bar at idle after warm up and 5 bar on any throttle input taking engine above 2K.
Normal idle oil pressure (warm) should be a little above 1 bar (?) and at higher RPM plus 4 bar? -
If you have made modifications to yoiu oil pressure relief valve what did you do?
Thanks
Old 05-16-2018, 12:31 PM
Spyerx
Addict
Rennlist Member

FWIW, my GT3, cold start is 4bar, settles to about 1 bar at idle once fully warmed, and 5+ on power. CAN BUS data shows about 60 PSI under throttle.

I can ask my shop what they do when I'm back over there, they use these pumps 964/993 builds.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:49 PM
Gus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Would greatly appreciate you asking shop. I have installed the GT3 pump in my 964 3.6 and wondering if I need to adjust spring tension on the release valve. Believe safety valve is OK as itĺs limit is at 9 bar or 130 lbs.
thanks
Old 05-16-2018, 01:49 PM
feirfiez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are you all using 996 or 997 GT3 oil pumps or do both work?
Old 05-16-2018, 02:35 PM
Gus
Addict
Rennlist Member

996 - It is not a drop in - the case has to be modified on side and structural flange. Inside case aluminum has to be removed inside to allow for the over sized pump which has an additional pick up and higher volume. Other than that it is pretty close to a drop in.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:16 PM
onevoice
User

Originally Posted by Gus View Post
I have not made the reduction and my oil pressure appears to be excessively high, running above 4 bars on start then settling at about 3 bar at idle after warm up and 5 bar on any throttle input taking engine above 2K.

Thanks
Why do you think those numbers are high? They are exactly what mine runs, with a standard pump. Complete rebuild with all clearances set to spec.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:07 AM
Essex
User

I run a GT3 oil pump in mine. Other than the case mods, nothing changed. Runs fine IMO. (Liqui Moly 10W60 oil)
Old 05-19-2018, 11:10 AM
Moriartyhlms
Addict
Rennlist Member

For what it’s worth, I also run a gt3 oil pump and have never heard of anybody modifying the pressure relief or safety valves for this.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:11 PM
sundog
Workin' It, Daddy!
Rennlist Member

Same for me. I put it in on a rebuild, and the pressure runs higher than it used to on the standard. It's got 60K miles on it, and half of those on the track. So no big deal running it high.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:58 AM
Gus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks all for feed back - sounds like best is to leave as is and just run it. Really appreciate feedback, again THANKS.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Oil Pump/ Oil Pressure Release

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: