Power Isn't Everything...

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 11:23 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,580 Likes on 603 Posts
Default Power Isn't Everything...

... though, it is addictive.

Driving a C4, I spent a very pleasant afternoon getting chased by my own Cayman S.
The silver thing is a manual, with a Ruf exhaust, and it makes the most glorious booming noise on throttle, with a fantastic bubble on backing off.

It was sometimes a bit scary to nail the C4 throttle, feel that classic 911 squat, the steering squirming, and power out of the corner - feeling like you're really on the limit - but, there's this damn Cayman on your tail, and you just cannot shake it off.

Getting into a 964 feels really natural to me after driving a 2.7S for ten or more years daily, and swapping back into the Cayman S for the drive home, with its seamless power delivery, its Sport-mode PDK thump, and mid-engined balance, was really conflicting.
I couldn't resolve which car I enjoyed more.

The C4 oozes personality, history, and mechanical connection, and the Cayman is just so good at being a fast Porsche.
Perhaps all I need to do is make the bland Cayman noise sound like a Ruf-equipped C4 and I'd perhaps be happy...

It was so much fun, I didn't take a single real photograph, except this mobile phone snap as we fueled up on the way to sushi after a few hours running the mountain roads of Boso Hanto.

The following 3 users liked this post by Kuro Neko:
Rocket Rob (07-01-2019), rotorheadcase (06-30-2019), Trm16 (06-29-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 12:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Great review!

Yes there’s no doubt the 964 is an amazing car to drive and very involved. In the canyons it can be a workout but a very fun one. Personally I also find the power to be more than adequate and with proper suspension tuning the car is incredibly capable.

The best option is to have one of each. You might also enjoy the Spyder.....it’s a bit more raw and with the top off you get the exhaust and engine noises entering the cabin.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:58 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I agree. Power is not everything and balance to the chassis is the key. Going from my 200 hp 2.7 71 to 300 hp 964 to 400hp 997rs on the street in the mountains they are all not far off really. Of course one is much easier to drive than the other at speed. One will scare you at very safe speeds. The other requires insanity speeds.

I love driving them all. Different character for different moods. And i agree the spyder is a fantastic car.

Im in Tokyo now visiting family (Kanagawa area) and wish i had a sports car here. Just can’t justify it as only spend a week or two a year. I do have parking tho..... so tempting. The mountain roads here are just fantastic.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:24 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 140 Posts

@Spyerx I could always exercise the car for you during the other 340 some odd days between visits- haha.

My 964 is down right now as I reseal etc (insert slippery slope) and I was seriously considering picking up a cayman for the interim. The comparison further peaks my interest!

Im currently in Hokkaido at Niseko for the first time and I’m definitely going to get back up here with the 964 when it’s all back together. If the rolling hills around My Yotei are full of breathtaking views and the roads include a good number of straight (passing) which are sorely lacking in the steeper mountain areas around my area (Hokuriku/Ishikawa.) Unfortunately im in a rental

Pete
Old 06-30-2019, 06:46 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Spyerx
I agree. Power is not everything and balance to the chassis is the key. Going from my 200 hp 2.7 71 to 300 hp 964 to 400hp 997rs on the street in the mountains they are all not far off really. Of course one is much easier to drive than the other at speed. One will scare you at very safe speeds. The other requires insanity speeds. I love driving them all. Different character for different moods. And i agree the spyder is a fantastic car. Im in Tokyo now visiting family (Kanagawa area) and wish i had a sports car here. Just can’t justify it as only spend a week or two a year. I do have parking tho..... so tempting. The mountain roads here are just fantastic.
Indeed!
Do what I do; rent a Toyota GT86.
Sure, its a bit plastic, but for heck, its pretty well matched for the local mountain roads...

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
@Spyerx I could always exercise the car for you during the other 340 some odd days between visits- haha. My 964 is down right now as I reseal etc (insert slippery slope) and I was seriously considering picking up a cayman for the interim. The comparison further peaks my interest! Im currently in Hokkaido at Niseko for the first time and I’m definitely going to get back up here with the 964 when it’s all back together. If the rolling hills around My Yotei are full of breathtaking views and the roads include a good number of straight (passing) which are sorely lacking in the steeper mountain areas around my area (Hokuriku/Ishikawa.) Unfortunately im in a rental Pete
Hokkaido has some of the greatest touge I've ever driven, including from Yotei down to Toya-ko, and up and around Wakkanai. No yellow line (!):

Ping me if you're in Tokyo...
The following users liked this post:
Finlander (07-01-2019)
Old 06-30-2019, 06:54 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 140 Posts

Ping= will do!

We’re already planing a return to Hokkaido with the 964 next summer.

pete
Old 07-01-2019, 04:14 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

That’s a good idea on renting a gt86. Family has a new polo which is not a bad little hatch either...
In shimoda for a couple days. The coast route from Kanagawa is amazing if a little slow. It’s like Japan pch near big sur.
The mountain roads here look fantastic to blast up and down.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:55 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Great gas station shot Kuro Neko

I agree. Power is not everything and balance to the chassis is the key. Going from my 200 hp 2.7 71 to 300 hp 964 to 400hp 997rs on the street in the mountains they are all not far off really. Of course one is much easier to drive than the other at speed. One will scare you at very safe speeds. The other requires insanity speeds...
Want a GT3 but I keep telling myself it's not worth the change since it would mostly be street driven... that and I wouldn't be able to drive it any faster than my 964 (or faster than the mini vans and SUVs I'm usually stuck behind).
Thankfully these cars feel so unique and entertaining at slow, real-world speeds.
Old 07-02-2019, 03:39 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

That’s a good idea on renting a gt86. Family has a new polo which is not a bad little hatch either... In shimoda for a couple days. The coast route from Kanagawa is amazing if a little slow. It’s like Japan pch near big sur. The mountain roads here look fantastic to blast up and down.
Yup!
You're a short drive away from one of the greatest five hours of driving in Kanto - your coast road to the Izu Skyline, connect to the Tsubaki Line, Toyo Tires, the Ashinoko Skyline, and then the Hakone Skyline.
Start early enough, you can arrive at Moose Hills for a great burger for lunch and tired hands - but a huge smile.

The summer mists that high this time of year are very nice.
The R8 was a bit of a handful on these roads, where a smaller more agile car - like a Polo - would be just as much fun.

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Great gas station shot Kuro Neko Want a GT3 but I keep telling myself it's not worth the change since it would mostly be street driven... that and I wouldn't be able to drive it any faster than my 964 (or faster than the mini vans and SUVs I'm usually stuck behind). Thankfully these cars feel so unique and entertaining at slow, real-world speeds.
Thanks!
Agree with that, and time too has softened that bloated bumper look, and the 964 looks nearly as good as a 993 (can I say that here?).
Here's the same C4 on the Toyo Tires:

Actually, the car's on Continentals I think, the road is called Toyo Tires.
Or, it was...
Old 07-02-2019, 03:41 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

Was just in Kanagawa too. Hope that Mount Hakone is still behaving.

From the title topic, I would much rather have more power and not use it than be wanting for more. Apparently there is an area of the throttle between zero and wide-open
Old 07-02-2019, 06:39 PM
BLACK3.2
Pro

Received 175 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
Was just in Kanagawa too. Hope that Mount Hakone is still behaving.

From the title topic, I would much rather have more power and not use it than be wanting for more. Apparently there is an area of the throttle between zero and wide-open
I say this with trepidation, but those are the words of a man who has not owned a ridiculously overpowered vehicle.

I briefly owned a KTM RC8R. Full throttle on that thing was straight up stupid. It made over 100 hp off idle. It would try to high side me driving down neighborhood streets. And it was WAAAY less fun at typical riding speeds than my Street Triple.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:56 PM
Rtz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. Power is not everything and balance to the chassis is the key. Going from my 200 hp 2.7 71 to 300 hp 964 to 400hp 997rs on the street in the mountains they are all not far off really. Of course one is much easier to drive than the other at speed. One will scare you at very safe speeds. The other requires insanity speeds.

I love driving them all. Different character for different moods. And i agree the spyder is a fantastic car.

Im in Tokyo now visiting family (Kanagawa area) and wish i had a sports car here. Just can’t justify it as only spend a week or two a year. I do have parking tho..... so tempting. The mountain roads here are just fantastic.
You might want to see if you can rent a 964 turbo from these guys to do some canyon carving in the shadows of Mt Fuji! https://fun2drive-japan.com/fleet/

It’s on my list of things to do this Xmas when we’re back in the Kanagawa area.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:39 AM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rtz
You might want to see if you can rent a 964 turbo from these guys to do some canyon carving in the shadows of Mt Fuji! https://fun2drive-japan.com/fleet/
It’s on my list of things to do this Xmas when we’re back in the Kanagawa area.
A recommended option for sure!
Be careful planning over winter, because of the possibility of snow...

A few years ago, we took two cars, and rented another two from Fun2Drive for just that:

Full details here on Petrolicious.

Neko

Quick Reply: Power Isn't Everything...