964 engine rebuilt but no start

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 09:41 AM
bhgt2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 engine rebuilt but no start

Hi

My engine has been completely rebuilt but won't start. Mechanic said they checked the timing, vacuum, and everything else. Its been like this for a couple of months. Video below. Anyone have any ideas? We are stuck.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:20 AM
eddieb4
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

Get a new mechanic ... who rebuilt it?
Old 05-12-2018, 11:31 AM
Mixter
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe this will help http://www.ifitjams.com/starting.htm
Old 05-12-2018, 12:09 PM
bhgt2
Instructor

Originally Posted by eddieb4
Get a new mechanic ... who rebuilt it?
Unfortunately I live in a country with very few mechanics. The dealer rebuilt it. They consulted with a local builder when it didn't start and they still couldn't figure it out
Old 05-12-2018, 12:11 PM
bhgt2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mixter
Thanks, thats helpful but it seems they followed these steps. I'll send it to him anyway.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-12-2018, 12:16 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks to be getting spark and fuel - comes down to how it's getting them. Did they spray some kind of starting fluid to get that far? If they don't do that, does it just crank? You have the distributor (suspect) and the EFI itself. Not much help, I know - but that's where I'd start.
Old 05-12-2018, 12:34 PM
bhgt2
Instructor

Originally Posted by jeff33702
Looks to be getting spark and fuel - comes down to how it's getting them. Did they spray some kind of starting fluid to get that far? If they don't do that, does it just crank? You have the distributor (suspect) and the EFI itself. Not much help, I know - but that's where I'd start.
The distributor components have all been replaced (not the distributor itself). It terms of EFI, what specifically can it be? We replaced most of the stuff on this engine. Tried a different DME but same result. At first we thought it was a timing issue, but that was re-checked. Engine is on its way back in now and try again.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:46 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

It’s hard to diagnose an issue over the Internet but I have spent enough time on here to know that many of these types of issues are simple fixes.

Your engine looks like it wants to start but is missing one or possibly a couple of vital ingredients. Assuming you have fuel pressure it will be spark.

I would start with the items the DME needs to work:
1. Is the car in idle mode i.e. the idle microswitch is on?
2. Is the crank reference sensor working and connected properly?

Check that they haven’t mixed up the crank sensor and knock sensor plugs. On the image they are the Black and Green plugs and can be interchanged. The Black plug is the crank sensor and the Green one is the knock sensor. The DME is not going to fire the ignition if it doesn’t know what position the crank is in. A knock sensor isn’t going to tell it anything. Hope it’s that simple.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:02 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Engines need fuel air and spark. Debug those one at a time and report back on findings of each.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:34 PM
Earlydays
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

If it was a rebuild done by an inexperienced 964 mechanic, or one that is sloppy, it could be something like incorrectly connected ignition and plug wires, cam timing not set correctly, distributor not properly installed (for example crankshaft not set to cylinder 1 TDC), etc.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:24 PM
cscrogham
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Let's not be too critical, here is a list of obvious stuff I have screwed up over the years:
Ck all pins in the hall sensor connector to distributor, have pushed them out by accident so one of the three isn't making contact.
Ck that you didn't install the distributor 180 degrees out, small tabs on distributor housing aligned when #1 at tdc
Did you replace the flywheel during the rebuild? Ck reference sensor and 60-2 flywheel teeth. Ran into an aftermarket setup once where an aluminum flywheel had steel teeth attached and they weren't in the proper orientation
ck fuel pressure at the rail should get approx 3.5 bar, if not check orientation of fuel lines to/from tank
ck ground to coils and ignition modules on left of engine bay
PMO makes a nice 50mm carb setup
Old 05-14-2018, 04:44 PM
RSA964993
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

I'll throw in DME relay simply because my car quit and wouldn't start and that was the culprit. Granted, this may be more complicated due to it being a new rebuild.
Old 09-16-2018, 05:26 AM
0-60Motorsports
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever get it started? Tried taking it to Julian?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:15 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM

It’s hard to diagnose an issue over the Internet but I have spent enough time on here to know that many of these types of issues are simple fixes.

Your engine looks like it wants to start but is missing one or possibly a couple of vital ingredients. Assuming you have fuel pressure it will be spark.

I would start with the items the DME needs to work:
1. Is the car in idle mode i.e. the idle microswitch is on?
2. Is the crank reference sensor working and connected properly?

Check that they haven’t mixed up the crank sensor and knock sensor plugs. On the image they are the Black and Green plugs and can be interchanged. The Black plug is the crank sensor and the Green one is the knock sensor. The DME is not going to fire the ignition if it doesn’t know what position the crank is in. A knock sensor isn’t going to tell it anything. Hope it’s that simple.
+1 - Double check the connectors. I had a friend help me install my engine and it wouldn't start. I had forgotten that he's partially color blind. He had the green and black connectors reversed. I swapped them to the correct and the engine started right up.

Quick Reply: 964 engine rebuilt but no start