Sponsored by:

New tire suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 03:56 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts
Default New tire suggestions

I need a new set of tires, before I pull the trigger on a set of Sumitomo HTR ZIIIs again, I thought I would ask the community if there were any recent tire products I may have missed.

I am light track (4 or 5 times a year) and the car never sees rain. Not looking for the longest wearing bargain, neither do I feel like paying 3 times the money for Michelin. Which IMHO are vastly overrated and overpriced. I go through tires too quickly at Michelin prices.

I am running 17 inch twists.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:33 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

It's hard to beat the HTR ZIIIs, it's a great tire and it would be my first choice.

I drove on the Firestone's 500 once and liked them though the shoulder is softer than you think and they are definitely not as good as the HTRs on the wet.
Hankook V12s have also received good feedback from friends that do few trackdays a year. I just bought a set of Kumho PS91 but I don't think they make them in 17s.

Potenza S04 would be my choice if I wanted something different but they are too pricey to beat the HTR ZIII.
Old 04-22-2018, 11:59 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
It's hard to beat the HTR ZIIIs, it's a great tire and it would be my first choice.

I drove on the Firestone's 500 once and liked them though the shoulder is softer than you think and they are definitely not as good as the HTRs on the wet.
Hankook V12s have also received good feedback from friends that do few trackdays a year. I just bought a set of Kumho PS91 but I don't think they make them in 17s.

Potenza S04 would be my choice if I wanted something different but they are too pricey to beat the HTR ZIII.
Thanks, my feelings exactly.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:04 AM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

I you have not already done so, I would suggest spending some time on the Tire Rack web site. Very easy to see what is available, with lots of test data and user reviews.
Old 04-23-2018, 11:48 AM
tfitch03
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just replaced my old sumitomos with some Nitto's. I find that they are much softer and quieter (maybe simply old rubber vs. new) but so far I like them. Seem to have great wet and dry road grip. 17" rims. ~1000 miles on new tires.
Old 04-23-2018, 01:03 PM
MTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Continental recently released a new tire, their Extremecontact Sport. I'm going to give this a shot for my street tire on some Cup 1s.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ExtremeContact+Sport

I've used the Continental DW before for street driving and it was great. This one is supposed to be a little more geared for performance, so I assume they would hold up to a few light track days.

Reviews look really good so far, so I'd add it to your short list to consider.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:52 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Thanks all, I have been all over TireRack, great info and prices. I agree about the Contis, have them on a Benz, they are great. No reviews yet for the new ones but definitely an option. I will check the Nittos, Sumis are not so quiet for sure.

Quick Reply: New tire suggestions