Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - unidentified crumbling connectors

Old 06-17-2018, 07:56 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 128 Posts
Default Good news and bad news

Well the connectors arrived long ago but I got sidetracked and only got back to the 964 project a few days ago. So here is the scoop. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the connectors fit into the corresponding connectors perfectly. The bad news is that they don't quite fit the engine bracket that secures the connectors mechanically. So if I use these I will have perfect connections from an electrical perspective but I will have to find some other way to secure them to keep them from floating around in the engine bay.

I am currently investigating some light machining on the connector and will post here if successful. If not it can always be jury-rigged with mechanic's wire or zip ties although I really find that kind of repair distasteful. However, I might have to go that route and wait for an engine drop to replace all sensors and switch over to the new style plugs. I have provided a link to the connectors that are made by TE and sold through Mouser.com. I paid about $6 CDN each and yes they will sell them one at a time. The part number is 1-962581-2. Here is the link and a photo follows http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1-962581-2.html

Old 06-17-2018, 08:49 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Connectors are cheap- i would just cut them to fit. Shouldn't be too tough. They don't look much bigger than the oem connectors...a little cutting and sanding and they will look like they were made for the car...
Old 06-18-2018, 07:17 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Originally Posted by Goughary
Connectors are cheap- i would just cut them to fit. Shouldn't be too tough. They don't look much bigger than the oem connectors...a little cutting and sanding and they will look like they were made for the car...
They are very close to fitting. I almost thought I could force them into the support bracket but when I measured I realized that won't work. So I will do some cutting or grinding or machining to make them fit.
The other thing I forgot to mention is that the connector does not include the metal tabs that attach to the sensor wires. They are available in many configurations and different platings like gold, silver or tin.
I ordered several different kinds. Here is one example of what I ordered. http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1-962916-3.html
You can also get little rubber plugs for the wires to help make a water-tight connection. However a rubber boot that covers the entire connector is not available. I plan to use heat shrink tubing for that.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:17 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
Well the connectors arrived long ago but I got sidetracked and only got back to the 964 project a few days ago. So here is the scoop. I have good news and bad news. The good news is that the connectors fit into the corresponding connectors perfectly. The bad news is that they don't quite fit the engine bracket that secures the connectors mechanically. So if I use these I will have perfect connections from an electrical perspective but I will have to find some other way to secure them to keep them from floating around in the engine bay.

I am currently investigating some light machining on the connector and will post here if successful. If not it can always be jury-rigged with mechanic's wire or zip ties although I really find that kind of repair distasteful. However, I might have to go that route and wait for an engine drop to replace all sensors and switch over to the new style plugs. I have provided a link to the connectors that are made by TE and sold through Mouser.com. I paid about $6 CDN each and yes they will sell them one at a time. The part number is 1-962581-2. Here is the link and a photo follows http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1-962581-2.html

Thats the adpater for the 993 connector for the flywheel sensor. Use the sensor I posted. "Flywheel sensor - Bosch 0261210059". It's plug and play and that adapter is not needed....

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...rts-hacks.html
Old 06-19-2018, 01:25 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Originally Posted by Super90
Thats the adpater for the 993 connector for the flywheel sensor. Use the sensor I posted. "Flywheel sensor - Bosch 0261210059". It's plug and play and that adapter is not needed....
I actually tried that. I ordered the exact part number you listed and when it arrived it came with the new style plug. The other issue is that my old sensor is fine, so I don't really need the sensor or the hassle of installing it and figured it would be easier to cut and splice in a new plug. I am no longer sure it will be easier, but I am determined to make it work. FYI, the sensor with the new plug was ordered from Amazon. There may still be vendors out there who have the old style plug but I have not found them.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:46 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
I actually tried that. I ordered the exact part number you listed and when it arrived it came with the new style plug.
Well, that stinks !!!
Old 06-19-2018, 03:39 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Default Success. Connector fits bracket now.

Well, that stinks !!!
Well it really does stink. When a vendor decides to send you something you did not order they should call first. However, the vendor admitted his mistake and I got a refund so its all good.
Also, I finished the mod I needed to make the connector fit. The groove in the connector needed to be a little bit wider and a bit deeper. I was able to do this with a drill press, a cross-sliding vice and a 3/32" diameter end mill. One pass on each side and the job was done. Very easy. See pix below. I am pleased!.

Connector fitted to support bracket

Widening the slot in the connector

Cross-sliding vice setup
Old 06-19-2018, 05:03 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Nice work.

So did the vendor say they had the correct part and sent you the wrong one? Or do they just not have the correct part any longer?
Old 06-19-2018, 05:41 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Originally Posted by Goughary
Nice work.

So did the vendor say they had the correct part and sent you the wrong one? Or do they just not have the correct part any longer?
I never got to talk to the vendor since the return was handled via Amazon but the vendor was B2C Auto Parts and I exchanged several emails with them. I gave them the part number of what I ordered and the part number of what they sent. They never offered to send me the correct one, so I assumed they no longer have it. I would strongly advise anyone ordering this part to first contact the vendor to make sure they have and will ship the old style plug sensor.
Old 06-19-2018, 06:06 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Default UPDATE - Vendor does not have old style plugs

I just emailed the Vendor B2C Auto Parts and they said they no longer have the old style sensors. If my sensors ever fail I think I will make a short adapter cable so I don't have to mess with cutting and splicing into the main harness.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:07 PM
Super90
Burning Brakes

FCP Euro's site says they do. Might give them a call and confirm.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:04 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Thumbs up Connectors installed and car started

I finished wiring in the new old-style crank sensor connector. This was the final job that was keeping me from trying to start this 1992 964 C4 that I bought and rec'd in March. It had been in dry storage for 15+ years.
Today was the big day and I am really pleased to announce that it started on the second try. But man did it pump out a lot of smoke. Since it was in my basement, I could not run it for long. Now I will have to get her down off the jack stands and outdoors for some more testing. Lots of work still lies ahead, but its great to reach this stage. I want to thank all those who helped me on this journey through my various threads on rennlist. Cheers to you!

Last edited by No_snivelling; 06-26-2018 at 09:07 PM. Reason: embedded video did not work
Old 06-26-2018, 10:02 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 338 Posts

Great news. What way did you wire the crank sensor in the end?
Old 06-27-2018, 07:19 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

I wired it up exactly as I found it despite the conflict. There is some info that indicates I may have issues at higher rpms if the polarity is reversed.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:10 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Default FCP Euro has the old style plug on crank sensor

FCP Euro's site says they do. Might give them a call and confirm.
I gave them a call and they confirmed that they can still get the crank sensor with the old style plug. Good to know for when mine dies.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help - unidentified crumbling connectors