Sponsored by:

What type of paint is best

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 06:18 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What type of paint is best

Got a few areas to repaint, anyone got any experience of spraying using an aerosol. I was wondering which would be best 2k, or 1k. and which primer is good for for metal and which for plastic bumpers. I am spraying where i have deleted the light washer jets, side indicators in the wing and a roof panel. any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-2018, 02:28 PM
A914MAN
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't use an aerosol (rattle can) on an exterior surface of a car, unless it was black trim like a Targa bar, or a race car. For a decent lower cost epoxy primer, Kirker Enduro Prime is a good 2K bare metal primer, but you want to topcoat it with sanding/filler primer or body filler within the recommended time window (5 days IIRC).
Old 04-15-2018, 05:32 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by A914MAN
I wouldn't use an aerosol (rattle can) on an exterior surface of a car, unless it was black trim like a Targa bar, or a race car. For a decent lower cost epoxy primer, Kirker Enduro Prime is a good 2K bare metal primer, but you want to topcoat it with sanding/filler primer or body filler within the recommended time window (5 days IIRC).
This is just a quick tidy of a few filled holes on the bumper/wing. Hopefully a full professional respray will follow next year.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:28 PM
jimonycricket
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 36 Posts

Rattle can primer is fine, although you won't find a real 2k primer in aerosol. 2k primer requires a hardener and sprays on much much thicker than a 1k. If you are using body filler then 2k is the way to go, if you are just sanding down some scratches or chips then 1k. I would not recommend rattle can spraying color or clear, it won't look good.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:06 PM
5hrine
Instructor

Originally Posted by jimonycricket
Rattle can primer is fine, although you won't find a real 2k primer in aerosol. 2k primer requires a hardener and sprays on much much thicker than a 1k. If you are using body filler then 2k is the way to go, if you are just sanding down some scratches or chips then 1k. I would not recommend rattle can spraying color or clear, it won't look good.
I think I may do the prep and prime, then take it for a professional colour coat, its the two front wings, front bumper and two side skirts. They are off the car so should be a fairly easy job.
Old 04-19-2018, 05:37 AM
5hrine
Instructor

Did the 964 have cellulose or 2k paint from the factory?

Quick Reply: What type of paint is best