Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 AWD system understeer vs 993 AWD system.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 01:59 AM
Myles Maycher
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 964 AWD system understeer vs 993 AWD system.

I understand the two models have a very different approaches to their AWD system. The 993 system is purely mechanical. Where the 964 system automatically adjusts the diffs from data from wheel speed sensor inputs and yaw sensors to send power to slipping wheels.

Functionally what is it that cause the 964 to have such bad understeer when pdas is activated? Why does this happen with the 964 system and not the 993 system? What does the 964 system do that causes so much understeer until you deactivate it by hitting the brakes.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:31 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Received 298 Likes on 138 Posts

Myles, your questions is a whole article alone. I suggest you read this months Total 911as a starter for ten. They are celebrating 40 years of 4WD.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:24 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with the above, that this is a long topic. The activation of the PDAS in the 964 is to induce under steer, a safety measure. In the 10 years that i have had a C-4, I have not been able to get the PDAS to come on.
This includes some pretty extreme maneuvers, including rear out drifts, around a circle of cones. If it does come on, tapping the brakes, deactivates, so really not something to be concerned about.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:26 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi guys,
I recently fitted a bulb to the green PDAS light on the oil temp clock , I realise it comes on quite often, not sure what it does when it’s just over a bump,
I guess it will be more noticeable driving hard or in the rain. The way of keeping it désactivated is to hold the awd switch for 10/15 second until your hear several bips, then erase the warning light .
There is also a procedure to fit a switch to do so , it would be nice to hear if someone has done this wiring.
last thing the 993 system is lighter than the 964.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:01 PM
Myles Maycher
Advanced

In autocross or on a track the pdas system does activate fairly often. The issue is it makes it unpredictable which is why most guys would opt for a c2 for track or autocross. I have a c4 so I don’t have that option. I also love my c4 and would never sel it to buy a c2. Having to pay attention and tap the brakes to deactivate the pdas system is not the best solution for track use.

Also deactivating the pdas system can can be done but it makes the car run with completely open diffs. Which I’ve tried and it’s not much better than when the pdas activates.

Maybe I didn’t make my question very clear. I do understand how the 993 and the 964 awd system work and I do know the differences between them.

The 993 system is easy to understand how the vehicle allocates power distribution to each wheel because it is full a mechanical viscous coupling system.

The 964 system is electronically controlled. And as we know Porsche designed it to understeer based on the sensor inputs data that would show the car about to oversteer.

What are those sensor input data ponts and what affect do they have on the diffs that make it understeer.

the only 2 things I could find are. If the latitudinal yaw sensor detects to much spin it locks the rear diff which apparently creates understeer. And that the split from front to rear diff is to high in the 964. But there has to be more to it than that?

I will I’ll pick up a copy of total 911 and see if that answered any of my questions.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:53 PM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Myles, it sounds like you do understand the PDAS system, and yes it is the locking of the rear diff that Porsche engineered into the system to induce understeer, as a safety feature. I don’t know the values when the sensors lock the diff. I do have the green light that flickers on / off depending on the PDAS activation. I assumed this is basically the redistribution of drive away from the norm.

I am not sure whether you have read the article “wringing out of C4” https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-4-pt-1-a.html it is an oldie, but a goodie.

Old 04-12-2018, 08:14 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

my understanding is .... unlike the more modern systems used by nissan in their GTR and mitsu in their now defunct evo cars, i do not believe the 964 diffs in any way intelligently alters the torque sent to each individual wheel depending on the situation the cars senses... instead, if it senses inputs showing that the car is losing traction at any wheel, it simply locks the rear diff to induce understeer and reapportions wheel torque differently between the front and rear axles... there is no side-to-side differentiation...

is this correct?
Old 04-13-2018, 03:20 AM
Spokes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
my understanding is .... unlike the more modern systems used by nissan in their GTR and mitsu in their now defunct evo cars, i do not believe the 964 diffs in any way intelligently alters the torque sent to each individual wheel depending on the situation the cars senses... instead, if it senses inputs showing that the car is losing traction at any wheel, it simply locks the rear diff to induce understeer and reapportions wheel torque differently between the front and rear axles... there is no side-to-side differentiation...

is this correct?
G,

Hope this helps.

I quote from Adrian's book: "If one axle of the C4 is on ice and the other is on a dry surface, the wheels on the ice could spin during acceleration. To counter this the longitudinal lock will be activated and it will send more drive or torque to the slower turning axle... front and rear toque ratio can be changed infinitely from 0% to 100%..." pg 212.

It is the lateral lock that locks the rear diff axle..

Also from the History of the 964 "The four wheel drive mechanism of the Carrera 4 also utilised a variant of the G50 gearbox (G64), although this obviously had to be significantly adapted to drive the front wheels of the Carrera 4. The front differential housing was linked to the gearbox via a large diameter tube that (through the gearbox's hollow secondary shaft) connected to an epicyclic differential at the front of the gearbox. From there, the drive moved to the rear differential via a shaft passing through the hollow secondary shaft. The front/rear torque split was maintained at 31/69% through the central differential. This central differential wais in turn controlled by a "multiplace clutch" that could automatically actuate whenever wheel spin was identified by the ABS system. The clutch would then provide excess torque to the axle with the "better grip". A similar electronically controlled rear differential would act as a normal differential (split drive between left and right rear wheel) as well as intervene whenever the accelerator was released while cornering, in order to minimise the accelerator pedal off oversteer tendency of the 911."
Old 04-15-2018, 04:20 AM
Normandy 964
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If PDAS senses a speed difference between front and rear wheels it locks the center diff.
If PDAS senses a speed difference between rear wheels it locks the rear diff
If you lift off whilst cornering hard PDAS locks the rear diff.

Adrian's book states 'front and rear torque ratio can be changed infinitely from 0% to 100%' which is impossible.
The diff locks are activated by solenoids. Solenoids are either on or off and cannot be controlled at some middle position.
This is why when PDAS kicks in it completely throws the car off line instead of just feathering your line like a modern system.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:12 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Normandy 964
If PDAS senses a speed difference between front and rear wheels it locks the center diff.
If PDAS senses a speed difference between rear wheels it locks the rear diff
If you lift off whilst cornering hard PDAS locks the rear diff.

Adrian's book states 'front and rear torque ratio can be changed infinitely from 0% to 100%' which is impossible.
The diff locks are activated by solenoids. Solenoids are either on or off and cannot be controlled at some middle position.
This is why when PDAS kicks in it completely throws the car off line instead of just feathering your line like a modern system.
Where did you access information for this explanation? These are just a few paragraphs from the Carrera 4 book. It doesn’t sound like on/off to me.

Last edited by John McM; 04-15-2018 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 12:34 PM
dlpalumbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the 'Carrera 4 Porsche Allrad 1900-1990' book I gleaned the following: The longitudinal and lateral PDAS power distribution are both through multi-plate clutches. These clutches are controlled through the on/off solenoids at high rates (~ 100 Hz, cant find exact number). So, the control is a lot like an ABS system. In this manner, on average, a continuous range of torque distribution can be achieved. The 964 will have a 31/69 split in torque distribution without PDAS intervention. The 993 is 5/95. I think this is the biggest difference in handling as the 964 will exhibit more FWD understeer under power. I cut my teeth on FWD cars and learned how to drive them during days before traction control and ABS. My technique was to induce oversteer with throttle and/or brakes aiming for a late apex. Applying throttle dials in understeer to compensate. I drove the 964 in a similar fashion with some success never noticing the PDAS upsetting my line much unless things got out of control. At that point, I was glad it was there.

I highly recommend the Allrad book. The history of Porsche awd development is interesting and the technical description of the 964 awd made me appreciate how impressive the system was for its time.
Old 04-15-2018, 01:36 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

that the system alters front to rear power distribution is clear

side to side power distribution on demand, esp. at the rear axle? -- i am not seeing from the literature that the car does that

adrian's comments are less than clear on this point
Old 04-15-2018, 03:05 PM
Myles Maycher
Advanced

Thanks guys for all the responses. We are getting to the issues I was trying to figure out. The explanations in most of the literature are fairly ambiguous or maybe i dont understand the technical jargon well enough.
What I have gathered is
-The rear diff is only able to control the rear wheels simultaneously
-The rear diff acts as an open diff until the vehicle detects slip
-When the vehicle detects slip the pdas activates

Where I am still unsure and sorry if it has been explained in the above replys. I dont know if the theory of being completely locked or unlocked is accurate. It seems to me that because the diff without the clutch pack being activated is an open diff, depending on the amount of activation on those clutch packs, it controls the amount the open diff goes to a full locked rear diff. I think there is a range from 0-100 like most of the literature states. So say you are taking a corner and your inside wheel looses traction. On an open diff the inside wheel would start spin and the outside wheel that had the traction would basically do nothing. In the pdas system with the same scenario the clutch pack in the diff is activated when the difference in wheel speed is detected. The clutch pack holding power is increased untill the difference in wheel speed is gone. There still is a certain amount of wheel slip until the diff is completely locked up. This is basically the same theory of how a mechanical lsd works. The difference is a mechanical lsd never goes to 100%. I think the big issue is that the diff is able to go to 100% lock which creates massive understeer.

I could be completely wrong. Let me know if this sounds accurate?
Old 04-15-2018, 10:53 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

So if that's the case, one could make a small spacer and preclude the system from ever getting to 100% by not allowing the diff slave from fully locking the clutch packs.

Or by shortening the push rod on the slave...

So if someone has an open set of clutch packs...and a diff slave...could be measured.

Further, wouldn't this also mean that cars with worn clutch packs would understeer less?
Old 04-15-2018, 11:46 PM
Myles Maycher
Advanced

Goughary dont jump the gun here. But you are on track to why I created this thread. I am not 100 percent sure if what i said in my explanation is accurate. I would like someone with more knowledge than me to confirm unless you know that to be true. Lets be 100 percent sure on operation then we can brain storm on ideas to see if we can fix the issue or find a better solution than altering our driving to accommodate. I want to create a new thread on "finding a solution to the c4 pdas system" once we have the operation of the system 100% ironed out.

Quick Reply: 964 AWD system understeer vs 993 AWD system.