Old 02-12-2019, 03:55 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Old 02-12-2019, 04:29 PM
Bigsix964
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

^ With all due respect, how come you switched to black seats? Can't say I fully get it as the solid blue from the first picture is 911 **** in my eyes. I'm also partial to blue interior from the Ultramarine in my old BMW. Now 911Jetta's Linen seats in your car would be a different (and sexy) story altogether. But that's just like....my opinion man..... Hey also, how's that e36 treating you?
Jetta, I could see this could being a matter of fate thing. Why not see if you come across something that wins your heart while you're overseas and the car is asleep? Maybe you find it, maybe you don't. Come across a black interior for sale then grab it. If you don't, maybe that's the universe telling you to 'rod your current car or piece together a mish-mash swap over time?
Old 02-12-2019, 07:56 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Do what you want its yours so enjoy it. I would save all the original parts though...You might consider doing what I did and start with the easily swappable parts and if you still find you don't like the light carpet tear it out and go to town but try to do so as to save it if you can. After all we are caretakers of these cars and someday when your kids inherit it they might want to swap it back or as sad as it seems the day will come when you chose to sell it and having the original parts never hurts. Whatever you do don't sell. We would miss you and your great photos and contribution.
Really glad to hear from Mr. 964. I often first ask myself, What Would Anthony Do? I was wondering if I should sell the seats, to help keep the revised interior swap under budget (ie: wife's radar). Looks like I need to plan on keeping everything. Will factor that into the decision.

BTW, I don't plan on going anywhere. Love this platform too much, and hope to always be in a 964.

Originally Posted by Mikke_Possu
...Maybe I never get the same feeling I got with C2...Do what makes you happy and try not cares too much about what others think.
Each car definitely has its own vibe, and we also respond to each car differently. Sounds like you can understand my dilemma.

Regarding modding the car, I care more about what and if it's right to mod the car. More of a historical perspective.
I firmly believe in doing what I feel is right for myself, but don't want to be short sighted and ruin something so nice.
Appreciate you sharing your dilemma. I have a feeling you must scratch that Ferrari itch...

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
Jetta, a wonderful read and I for one understand the dilemma. I have been on the hunt for a M3 in purple (Daytona Violet) and passed on anything with a light (Dove) interior. I love your car but that interior would be a problem for me too.

Couple of things, if it were me and this is only my opinion. Take the linen items out, carpet, door cards, seats and put them away nicely. They are excellent now and will always be an easy put back if and when needed and look fresh when you do.

You can easily source a set of RSA seats in black cloth, perhaps the all time most comfortable seat Porsche made, ditto door cards and there are plenty of black rear seats and rear panels available all the time on eBay/Pelican etc. You can recover the linen parcel shelf in place and not have to remove it.

For goodness sake, leave the lower dash and rear wiper alone (all that wiring: Pandora's Box), I know adding lightness is a tempting and easy way to up the performance but I don't see the benefit of it; either strip everything out and buy ear plugs, or leave the 7 odd lbs the wiper costs you. You self admittedly don't track the car so why create a buzz bomb for the street?

...For the interior, if you are in Provence already, I can put you in touch with a nice bloke in Italy that runs around swap meets and picks up all sorts of interiors. I almost bought a Cobalt set of Sport Seats from him but we both were afraid the color was off. Might be cheaper to buy there and ship to the states, although, shipping the 964 to Fr. would be my first choice!

I am sure you will make the right decision, everything is fixable, just follow your instincts.

BTW, funny thing about that Alpina factory driver, in case you thought I was exaggerating, he went on to be F1 champ, any guesses who it might have been?
I LOVE your interior, and would be totally happy with that in my car. The blue is so wacky, it's cool. Definitely makes me smile when I see pictures of it.
I chased lightweight in my previous car, I'm definitely not after that in this car. I just like the simplicity and focus that comes from a stripped interior. I look at too many R Gruppe interior pictures, a bad influence...
You're probably right about keeping the mods easily reversible, and not pulling the lower dash or center console and wiring. Maybe a couple steps too far. The rear wiper and motor is pretty easy to remove and save.

The Alpina driver turned F1 champ? "Niki Lauda, Niki Lauda, Nike Lauda!!!"
Favorite scene from RUSH:

Great story and thanks for your thoughts.

Originally Posted by LPMM
Udo, there are ways to tone down the linen interior. Remember what Andrew (BHCfarkas) did when he bought his Amethyst on Linen? He really did not go overboard and only replaced the carpet, then added Recaro PPs and a Momo steering wheel, but it totally transformed the interior IMO.

You could do something similar and have it look very classy and less "light colored". Change the carpet to a dark blue/black shade, add these Cult-Werk RS style seats and new steering wheel, and perhaps blue/black shifter and hand brake and your 964 would look fantastic. You have a great base to work from and it would not take much to make it the way you want while still being reasonably reversible. OTOH, you could go full Cobalt like Christian's 964 (misterbeverlyhills) which would also be pretty nice. Lastly regarding a hot rodded 964, you'll be stepping into an unknown and may inherit someone else's headache as opposed to the known quantity that is your current 964. There are some nice builds (especially here), but there are also a lot more shady builds, is this a gamble you are prepared to take? You have a lot of options, choose the one that makes you happy without worrying about what others think. Either way, you need to stick around so we can keep enjoying your posts and pictures. [/quote]

That looks really good. Thanks for pulling the images for me!
I'll look into the Cult-Werks seats also. Helps to have additional seating options.

You're right about switching cars, that's the scariest part and the biggest unknown. Since modding the interior hasn't freaked anyone out (probably my biggest take away) I should probably now focus on keeping the car and doing what does the least damage to it.

The carpet is really the biggest issue for me, but I guess that's actually easily reversible. So are the seats and door cards. I actually have a black rear shelf from my previous car. It's just that at that point I'd be so tempted to go all the way and do the lower dash delete and move the center console controls. Of course a Momo wheel would complete the project... removing the airbag actually gives me an unsettled feeling... so that stalls me a bit. Probably a sign to leave it alone.

[quote=Bigsix964;15634229]

Originally Posted by Bigsix964
^ With all due respect, how come you switched to black seats? Can't say I fully get it as the solid blue from the first picture is 911 **** in my eyes...

Jetta, I could see this could being a matter of fate thing. Why not see if you come across something that wins your heart while you're overseas and the car is asleep? Maybe you find it, maybe you don't. Come across a black interior for sale then grab it. If you don't, maybe that's the universe telling you to 'rod your current car or piece together a mish-mash swap over time?
Probably because Mr. BH had standard seats and the RSA sports seats are one of the best seats Porsche made/sold.

Fate is powerful and mysterious...

BTW, the seats are not original to the car though. The previous owner added the sport seats. I don't know if that changes anything, so that tempts me into selling them, since they may not be as valuable in returning the car back to stock. Then I might as well sell the carpet too...

Again, thanks for the feedback guys. Really appreciate the thoughts and suggestions.
Sounds like a good compromise would be to reduce the scope of the project to things that are easily reversible. Makes sense, and I can temper myself... I could focus on and we happy with a new black full RS carpet set, RS door cards, black center console and new seats. Plus radio delete. Leave the steering wheel, lower dash and center console switches alone. Keep everything I pull and put into storage.

Since I'm in France until July, it's probably a good thing that I can't get to it, so I won't be making any rash decisions... just time to organize my plan for when I return back home. The car is safe for now.

Last edited by 911Jetta; 02-12-2019 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Bigsix964
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Aha. Well Function > Form!
Old 02-12-2019, 08:38 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bigsix964
^ With all due respect, how come you switched to black seats? Can't say I fully get it as the solid blue from the first picture is 911 **** in my eyes. I'm also partial to blue interior from the Ultramarine in my old BMW. Now 911Jetta's Linen seats in your car would be a different (and sexy) story altogether. But that's just like....my opinion man..... Hey also, how's that e36 treating you?
You are %100 right. I had the black seats in for about a month, took them out again as the blue for me is **** too, so I am back to stock. And loving it, even if the black cloth RSA seats were the best fitting and most comfortable I have tried.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:56 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Carpets are fairly easy (especially with the old seats out and new ones going in).

The e36 M3 arrived today so only fresh off the carrier photos, drove it around the block, has beaucoup grunt, much more torque than the 964; let's see what happens when it comes on the cams.

It was indeed Herr Lauda, watching that scene from the movie was a real deja vu because he was that charmless, and the same shifty little smile creeping in when the car started flying. I remember it so closely to this day. I looked at myself in the mirror that night in the hotel and said "race car driver", after a few sobering moments, I burst into hysterics. I was 15, driving in Europe on a NY State learners permit.

Udo, go Cobalt blue, you have no idea how much traction that car gets in a crowd, and the cockpit for you will be a whole new place as you made the car "yours".
Old 02-13-2019, 08:04 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the M3, enjoy your new toy! All these old car are amazing.

I've been thinking about how to do more blue in the interior... depends on the seats and door cards.
The simplified project now might just be: new carpet (rear seat delete mit RS carpet rear shelf), RS door cards with special pull tab design, and Recaro style fixed back seats with special inserts. Radio/speaker delete (don't use it anyway).

Off to Morocco for five days...
Old 02-14-2019, 11:06 AM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

The heart wants what the heart wants.

Of course you have a great car now and you're comfortable with the most important aspect; how it drives. Make the interior your own. When it all cooks down to chicken fried gravy, you can easily restore the interior back to its original condition. Sounds like a lot of fun to me. If there is worry about the paint, maybe have a clear cover installed?
Old 03-26-2019, 03:55 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

964 withdrawal is getting strong, so took the opportunity to take my 12 yr ld daughter to the Porsche Museum this past weekend. Our trip luckily coincided with a special Stuttgart museum weekend, were all the museums in town had special events and open until 2 am! I've been to the museum a couple times already, but this is my first time getting access to the archive/model room! Super fun night walking around the museum listening to haus musik, bier in hand. while they started cars on the hour. Wild and amazing to share with my daughter who's showing an increasing interest for all things mechanical. A couple random phone pictures.

Love this simple livery

Interesting door handle combo

Stock cat? Was also paired with a stock primary and g-pipe? Not sure about this exhaust set up??

My favorite, and the 964 experience many of us are seeking. Not sure of the color matched rims though...

I wish they would have made thousands of these... Easy to say now.

Best for last, the model room! This took my breath away..

Oh my. Want!

Old 03-26-2019, 04:04 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

It just wouldn't post the frontal image of the 964 model, so trying it again:
Old 03-26-2019, 05:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Nice Udo, thanks for posting the pics!

That is very cool that they opened the archives, I imagine that is a treat!
Old 03-26-2019, 06:24 PM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Some good advice/thought already.

My take: And coming from a guy who has had issues with climbing value (Turbo) as well - when I bought the car (before the value spike) to just drive...enjoy driving. You have to enjoy the car. Otherwise what is the point??? So change what you want to change. It is a car. It has no feelings. There are others. This one is YOURS. And who cares what others think. If you need a dark or funky interior - do it. Now - if the "financial angel" on one shoulder is whispering things about value in one ear - then keep everything as a concession. You can always re-install.

And keep driving it. The happiness and memories outweigh any potential loss in gained value. It's a Porsche - it was meant to be driven. I know YOU know this. I officially don't care about miles. If I ever sell it I hope it has more miles than any other car like it. As I was driving to Rennsport last fall (3000 miles roundtrip) I can't tell you how many times I thought about how much fun all the owners who don't really get out and drive their car are missing out on. But no my prob.

Do your thing, Udo. Be happy.

Brandon
'91 911 Turbo
'16 Allroad daily
Old 03-27-2019, 09:04 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Love the models both big and small. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-27-2019, 05:54 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by urquattro20Vt
Do your thing, Udo. Be happy.
Thanks for your comments Brandon. I appreciate it. Nice to hear that you took yours on a mega Rennsport road trip!

It's definitely not about the value. I've always wanted a 964, and I really, really enjoy using it and sharing the experience with others.
My goal is only to keep it in the best shape possible, and think about its long term care. I just don't want to do mods that I'll one day regret.
I'm totally over-thinking it, that's what months away for this car is doing to me... lol

My visit to the Porsche museum left me conflicted (again).
One one hand, it's so cool to see such original cars at the museum, and be reminded how special all these cars are, just the way they are. Colors/interiors, etc.
But one the other hand, that yellow 964 Coupe Concept, with it's simple black RS interior and bucket seats is just about the perfect style/function car for me.

I must have spent an hour standing next to that car...

Quick Reply: Getting used to the new color: Cobalt