964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting used to the new color: Cobalt

Old 01-02-2019, 11:32 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

With a heavy heart, I will be putting the car in storage for the next 6 months as my family is relocating (from Chapel Hill, NC-USA) to Aix en Provence (France) until July.
Very excited about about the change, but will definitely miss my driving adventures with the 964. I will have much more time for cycling though...

Any Rennlisters in Aix en Provence?

Last edited by 911Jetta; 01-02-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:40 PM
9SIX4-C4
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 102 Posts

we will miss your photos while the car is in storage! looking forward to what you will share while in France!
Old 01-02-2019, 04:37 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

It would have been very cool to ship the car over to Europe and run it thru the roads there.

Enjoy France.
Old 01-02-2019, 06:07 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

I read the top line "with a heavy heart I'll be putting" and almost choked on my breakfast lol thought you were going to say you were selling!
Have fun in France!
Old 01-02-2019, 11:06 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 178 Posts

Someone who was local to me had their 993 shipped over when they were stationed in France for a time. Having driven all over France, I would love to have my car there.

Enjoy it either way. I love it over there, especially that area and north towards Lyon and west.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:07 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 9SIX4-C4
we will miss your photos while the car is in storage! looking forward to what you will share while in France!
I'll sure I'll be visiting this thread every now and then just to look at pics and relive some of the memories. Plus seeing what you guys are up to!

Originally Posted by canuck964
It would have been very cool to ship the car over to Europe and run it thru the roads there. Enjoy France.
That was the original plan with my Slate Grey car. I would of had it for 12 years and returning it to the homeland would have been epic, then selling it at the end to start a new 964 chapter when I get back to the States. Funny, the car ended up getting back to Germany anyway....

This car has been fantastic, and I only feel as though I'm starting to get to know it. Keeper for now.

Originally Posted by Dingo
I read the top line "with a heavy heart I'll be putting" and almost choked on my breakfast lol thought you were going to say you were selling!
Have fun in France!
Yeah, heavy heart is probably a bit too dramatic of an opening, but it is a really fun part of my life that I don't take for granted and will surely miss.

Originally Posted by Sirenty
Someone who was local to me had their 993 shipped over when they were stationed in France for a time. Having driven all over France, I would love to have my car there.

Enjoy it either way. I love it over there, especially that area and north towards Lyon and west.
Those roads, the size of this car, the sound, etc. It would be amazing. Plus, I'll also be visiting my relatives in Austria. The roads there are next level.
Fortunately I love cycling as much as Porsches, and plan to return and pedal a couple famous climbs like Mt. Ventoux and Col de la Madone. Pics from the top!

It's getting real now...

Old 01-31-2019, 01:26 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Getting used to the new color: this time it's Flash blue...

Not an equal replacement for my 964, but I bought this blue machine to tie me over for the next six months while in southern France.
2nd after driving a 964 on curvy roads is riding a road bike. The roads around here are amazing, this pic was taken just kilometers from home.

Any aircooled guys on Rennlist that live close Aix-en-Provence?

Old 01-31-2019, 02:10 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

Very nice!
Old 02-01-2019, 09:09 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Southern France is not a bad trade! Very cool that you get to enjoy that!

At some point my wife and I will move back to Europe and can't imagine leaving the 964 here! Would be great to drive so many of those mountain roads.

Next time you guys do a little get together I'd love to join- love those BBS wheels Dukmon!
Old 02-01-2019, 11:13 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dubjager
Southern France is not a bad trade! Very cool that you get to enjoy that!
At some point my wife and I will move back to Europe and can't imagine leaving the 964 here! Would be great to drive so many of those mountain roads.
When the family started planning this trip last year, the original idea was to ship the car over and enjoy it on a daily basic throughout Southern France, and also visit friends and family in Italy and Austria (where I was born). Plus I really wanted to take it "back" to Stuttgart and do my first Ring visit in style. At the end of the stay, I was planning to sell the car here and pocket the cash and buy another 964 after returning to the States this summer. I would have had the car for over 12 years, and moving on to another one would have been sad but totally acceptable given all the mega memories it gave me. My first 964, bought when no one wanted them, 10 track days, kids growing up in the backseats, and 60,000+ miles of meet ups and countless back road drives. It was a good one... Getting rear ended last year changed all of that. The market changed all of that. Great 964s became hard to find, but I got lucky finding this one and realized I stomach looking for another one so soon again. So my car is tucked away, waiting for me when I get back. Love riding bikes (on and off road) and decided to get in top shape and climb mountains instead. I definitely think about having a 964 here everyday.

You Euro Rennlisters are very lucky, the roads here are totally amazing and perfect for a 964!

Next time you guys do a little get together I'd love to join- love those BBS wheels Dukmon!
Absolutely, thanks for mentioning it. Love RennMeetings.

I go the Asheville area a couple times and year and can meet up in that area, or travel somewhere new if the roads are great for riding/driving. Planning to meet up with Mr. Dukmon again at the end of the summer/fall. He mentioned some Spartenburg area mountain bike trails that sound very tempting. Will give you a heads up.

Yes, those rims. Love the rear dish and they look so right in 17s. Really curious how they would look on my car...

Old 02-12-2019, 06:02 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Last edited by 911Jetta; 04-17-2020 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Do what you want its yours so enjoy it. I would save all the original parts though. I have to admit I am lucky to have one of two cobalt blue turbos with black interior, I have found in the world. Only one of three in the US the other two have classic gray and linen. I am not sure I would have been so eager to buy my car if it had a light interior. I am not a fan of light interiors they are just too much work to keep clean. My 93 C2 is Amazon over cashmere. I have replaced most all the interior to black except the door cards and carpet but have black floor mats like you have. You might consider doing what I did and start with the easily swappable parts and if you still find you don't like the light carpet tear it out and go to town but try to do so as to save it if you can. After all we are caretakers of these cars and someday when your kids inherit it they might want to swap it back or as sad as it seems the day will come when you chose to sell it and having the original parts never hurts.

Whatever you do don't sell. We would miss you and your great photos and contribution.

I am still torn on ripping out the carpet and going RS cards etc, but so far I am happy with less tan and don't drive my cars as often as you do. I also found I like the door pockets to hold stuff and prefer the arm rest and handles over the clean RS look so I have stayed with all of that for now.

Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 AM
Mikke_Possu
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

When I bought my C2 ten years ago, it was far from perfect. I painted it and bought the sport seats. The car changed completely. at least in my mind. I drove it a lot. Every day, every place.
Then I bought C4, which was almost in perfect condition. I knew the car before and knew the previous owners personally. I noticed that I was driving less and less. Driving didn't interest me, buying parts did. Now I have owned it 7 years and I have been driving for less than the first year of my C2. I have wondered many times that I sell it but what would replace? Maybe Ferrari because it would be nice to own one before I meet 40

Maybe I never get the same feeling I got with C2. I go on the track 2 times a year and otherwise I just like that I have this car. Normal driving doesn't matter to me anymore.

Do what makes you happy and try not cares too much about what others think.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:19 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Jetta, a wonderful read and I for one understand the dilemma. I have been on the hunt for a M3 in purple (Daytona Violet) and passed on anything with a light (Dove) interior. I love your car but that interior would be a problem for me too.

Couple of things, if it were me and this is only my opinion. Take the linen items out, carpet, door cards, seats and put them away nicely. They are excellent now and will always be an easy put back if and when needed and look fresh when you do.

You can easily source a set of RSA seats in black cloth, perhaps the all time most comfortable seat Porsche made, ditto door cards and there are plenty of black rear seats and rear panels available all the time on eBay/Pelican etc. You can recover the linen parcel shelf in place and not have to remove it.

For goodness sake, leave the lower dash and rear wiper alone (all that wiring: Pandora's Box), I know adding lightness is a tempting and easy way to up the performance but I don't see the benefit of it; either strip everything out and buy ear plugs, or leave the 7 odd lbs the wiper costs you. You self admittedly don't track the car so why create a buzz bomb for the street?

A long time ago when the earth was young, I picked up my father's 2002 Alpina from the factory in Munich and had a drive around their test track with their own race car's driver. It cured me totally of the notion I harbored at the time, that I could one day be a race car driver. He did things with the car I thought impossible, while he was not a happy man, (being forced to honor the last 10 hours of his contract at Alpina before going on to F3), he finally smiled thinly once the tires were warm and he beat that track half to death. So today, I love to track the car and keep a note of my lap times, I have no problem letting folks in more heavily modded 964s past me and ******* their tails after. Surprisingly my fairly stock car hangs on pretty well, late braking being a great equalizer, until the brakes eventually fade.

My point is, drive what you have as well as you can, adding performance doesn't always add to your skill or your enjoyment; a well executed turn in, power out and up shift is just as rewarding in your car with or without a rear wiper. On or off track.

For the interior, if you are in Provence already, I can put you in touch with a nice bloke in Italy that runs around swap meets and picks up all sorts of interiors. I almost bought a Cobalt set of Sport Seats from him but we both were afraid the color was off. Might be cheaper to buy there and ship to the states, although, shipping the 964 to Fr. would be my first choice!

I am sure you will make the right decision, everything is fixable, just follow your instincts.

BTW, funny thing about that Alpina factory driver, in case you thought I was exaggerating, he went on to be F1 champ, any guesses who it might have been?
Old 02-12-2019, 01:53 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Udo, there are ways to tone down the linen interior. Remember what Andrew (BHCfarkas) did when he bought his Amethyst on Linen? He really did not go overboard and only replaced the carpet, then added Recaro PPs and a Momo steering wheel, but it totally transformed the interior IMO.

You could do something similar and have it look very classy and less "light colored". Change the carpet to a dark blue/black shade, add these Cult-Werk RS style seats and new steering wheel, and perhaps blue/black shifter and hand brake and your 964 would look fantastic. You have a great base to work from and it would not take much to make it the way you want while still being reasonably reversible. OTOH, you could go full Cobalt like Christian's 964 (misterbeverlyhills) which would also be pretty nice. Lastly regarding a hot rodded 964, you'll be stepping into an unknown and may inherit someone else's headache as opposed to the known quantity that is your current 964. There are some nice builds (especially here), but there are also a lot more shady builds, is this a gamble you are prepared to take? You have a lot of options, choose the one that makes you happy without worrying about what others think. Either way, you need to stick around so we can keep enjoying your posts and pictures.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting used to the new color: Cobalt