Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting used to the new color: Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 03:29 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

LAcarguy is on the board, making some good points.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:11 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Udo - I was thinking of you when I saw these. Who wants a black interior anyways, boring!.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-recaro-is-ls/

Old 04-18-2019, 08:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Thanks Chip!
Really liking this seat option.

Had Recaro PP on the brain prior to everyone's feedback. Love the fixed bucket idea, but this car isn't about absolute lightweight and the loss of functionality was weighing on me. I definitely have people or put my road bike in the back often enough to want to keep the folding option. This seat offers enhanced leg bolsters, that's a big plus also and one thing the sports seats are still lacking. Definitely look good in a 964 also.
They are one of the most comfortable seats I have ever owned.

Bob has a bunch of options. I was at Stable the other day and he has black with blue cloth inserts in the second version that would look nice as well.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:37 PM
andy928
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

LPMM they look a lot like lancia integrale recaro seat in a mates car from memory......
Old 04-23-2019, 05:39 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by LAcarguy
Udo, I may be biased but I tried the black/blue combo with RSA seats and hated the look. You already have steering wheel and dash in blue, it would look wrong to have black mixed in. With Laurent's door cards, console and your existing cobalt stuff you are only carpets and rear parcel shelf/panels away from a full conversion. You can add foam and recover the bolsters in cobalt for regular seats, not perfect but it can be done and works pretty well. Store your originals.

BTW what color is your headliner? Worth considering.
Wise words, but I think our blue interiors are different. Dash and blue trim is dark blue, not cobalt, so I think black carpet and seats would work... the blue and black combo on the dash look good, so it leads me to believe black for the rest of the interior would work also. I need to better educate myself on the Porsche color names of my interior.

Blue headliner, same color as dash and top of the door cards.

After having recently visited the Porsche Museums, in both Stuttgart and Gmund, I'm going to hold off modding the interior for as long as I can. I love modded cars, especially Rgruppe cars, but something in the back of my head keeps telling me to keep it stock and appreciate what it is and what I have.

When I get back to the States in July, I'm going to pick up my dad's C2 Cab and take it back to my Haus and give it a complete overhaul. It will finally get much needed new suspension and cup 1 rims, plus a through look over by my local experts. He wants a new carpet set so I'll experiment with his car. I'll focus on his car first and just enjoy driving mine around for awhile until fall. If I can't live with it, then I'll redo the interior.

Originally Posted by LPMM
Udo - I was thinking of you when I saw these. Who wants a black interior anyways, boring!.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-recaro-is-ls/

Very cool! $6,000. Loved reading the BAT comments.

Starving for anything Porsche during our family vacation last week, I looked at the route from Salzburg to Venice and then it hit me. Gmünd! Where it all started, and where a nice Rubystone 964RS sits.

It turned out to be a wonderful family pitsop on the long drive south. While buying souvenirs, the owner Helmut Pfeifhofer walked in! Apparently when he went to the factory to pick up the RS, buyers could pick there own color, shocked at the color he declined his allocation. He ended up buying the car 10 years later. You should have seen the sparkle in his eye when he said he bought for half the original price.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:28 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

After 7 months in France, I'm back home in North Carolina.
Reconnected the battery cable, and the car started on the first try. No tailpipe smoke even.
No problems with the car at all, and the AC still blows cold.

Quick first impressions getting reacquainted with the 964.
Such a fun car to drive, I just love the size and driving dynamics of these cars.
The RS short shifter kit with FD goldenrod is such a pleasure to use. So solid, mechanical and direct. A joy to shift.
With only a secondary exhaust bypass (Swans neck), the car is louder than I remember. Not so much at idle, but driving around town at 3-4K RPM.
I've ordered a cat bypass and primary bypass but I'm not sure I'll install it right away. I'm really liking the sound of the current exhaust set up...

I've have months to think about my next steps, and I've decided to leave the interior alone (for now) and instead continue to focus on improving the driving dynamics of the car. Soon to be installed: Wevo motor mounts, Rennline HD ball joints, "red" steering rack bushings, Elephant Racing Bump Steer Correcting Tie Rod Kit, and a lightweight Antigravity Battery. Still deciding what to do with the exhaust.

Finally removed the wiper motor and installed rear window plug.

Crazy color shifts. From dark blue to bright purple!

Last edited by 911Jetta; 07-15-2019 at 03:04 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by 911Jetta:
9SIX4-C4 (07-17-2019), Antigravity (07-17-2019), Trm16 (07-15-2019)
Old 07-15-2019, 01:49 PM
Jacke2c
Formerly turbotwoshoes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Welcome back...
Old 07-16-2019, 03:24 AM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

I love going through immigration at LAX when they say "Welcome Home".

I hope Cobalt starts up as easily for me after 8 weeks in the EU.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:23 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Saved +35 lbs last night...

Had a lightweight Battery Tender (480 CCA) in my previous 964 for 18 months with no issues, so definitely also wanted to add a lightweight battery to this car.
This time I decided to go with Anti Gravity for the extra insurance (880 CCA) and positive RL posts.
Clean install. No modifications to the cables. Created a simple metal bracket to encase the battery and connect to the original lock down bolt location.

(Late night camera phone pictures)

Last edited by 911Jetta; 07-16-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:58 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

Started right up, no smoke, no flat spots and drove like "where ya been".
Old 07-24-2019, 10:45 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

The mods continue. Feels good to get the hands dirty again. A mix of nervousness, excitement and reward.

Fabspeed cat bypass installed.

This car already had a secondary bypass (Swan's neck/Long G-pipe), and I really liked the sound. My previous 964 had a primary bypass (Cup pipe), so I've always noticed the sound difference between the two different bypasses. My previous preference was for the sound of the primary bypass over the secondary bypass. That said, something sounded different with this car, over other G-pipe cars I've heard. Sounds mean, gruffer, and not so V8ish. A deep, Porsche sound, with just a little woof, woof hot rod sound mixed in. Very little Subie rumble. Different, but just as good as the primary bypass I used to love. I thought the different sound might come (from the length and shape) of the Swan's neck?? Wasn't sure...

I remove my cat, look inside and it's basically almost hollow, like the Fabspeed Cat Bypass I'm about to install. The cat I'm replacing is also an open design, with a perforated side chamber, but with additional material at the back. Interesting...

So after this install it basically sounds the same. Just a little bit louder. Just a bit. Where I kept asking myself, is it louder? Which is good, instead of thinking, oh **** it's a little bit loud. It also sounds a bit more mechanical on cold start and at idle, so very happy with that also. Just did a quick drive to work, so haven't gotten the car up to temps and tested throttle response or +4K RPM.

Mystery solved. I always thought this car sounded different than other secondary bypass cars, and wondered why it already seemed as loud as my previous decatted car.
In the end I got what I wanted. Slightly more noise, and a more mechanical sound.

Here's what I took off:

Front of cat that was on the car

Back of cat that was on the car

Last edited by 911Jetta; 07-24-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:59 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

With all this talk about exhaust sound, of course we need a video:
Cold start with Fabspeed cat bypass with secondary exhaust delete (Long G-pipe).

Last edited by 911Jetta; 07-24-2019 at 03:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 911Jetta:
Dingo (07-29-2019), dukmon (07-24-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 10:45 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Just picked up my dad's 964 in Kansas and drove it back to North Carolina with my son (18 hrs, 1200 miles). He's 16 and just got his learner's permit, so he logged a lot of hours on the journey. Still getting used to driving a stick, in traffic, through cities, at night and for long stints. Handled it all like a pro. Very impressed. As a reward we took a bit of a detour as we got closer to home and head up to the mountains for some twisties. (Top of Mt. Mitchell and some Blue Ridge Parkway driving) We really enjoyed the experience and time together.

The car drove great the whole way and we had no issues at all. Such a sweet solid car ('91 C2 with 79k miles). Well, one issue, l think the AC drainage line is clogged, as we had water dripping down on our feet. That's an easy fix.

My dad has owned the car for over 20 years, so it's time to do some upgrades and get it ready for the next 20. We just upgraded the wheels from D90s (wow does that make such a visual change), and over the next few weeks it will get new suspension, steering upgrades, exhaust bypass, and a couple interior upgrades.

It's fun to have two 964s at the Haus.

The following users liked this post:
dukmon (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 11:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Sounds like a fun time. Enjoy these times while you still can. I can''t believe my son has been a PCA member for 3 years now and just had his 4th event at Watkins Glen and is on his 7th track event now at intermediate level. He loves to drive the boxster but will gladly get any seat time behind the wheel of the C2 when he can.

Time moves too quickly it is so strange drinking at bars and restaurants with him now that he is legal.

Enjoy the Cab it looks really clean.
The following users liked this post:
911Jetta (07-29-2019)
Old 07-29-2019, 11:26 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Sounds like a fun time. Enjoy these times while you still can...
The kids grow up so fast. Everybody says it, and it's so true. I can already see the day where I fly out to visit him somewhere and he picks me up from the airport in his 911.

Enjoy the Cab it looks really clean.
The car was ceramic coated last year... holy cow does that stuff work. We gave the car a quick roadside car wash at the end of the drive to get some of the bugs off and car looked so clean, water beading everywhere. Impressed. The interior needs a good cleaning though.

Quick Reply: Getting used to the new color: Cobalt