964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Getting used to the new color: Cobalt

Old 03-27-2019, 06:15 PM
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tell me your thought and experiences with dying seats?

Latest thought is to just dye the sport seats solid black.
Install a black RS carpet kit and RS door cards.
Pull the (non-used stereo and speakers)
Not sure about a momo steering wheel (and losing the airbag...)
Would store the original carpet, door cards, rear seats, center console and rear shelf.

Keep in mind, seats are not original to the car. That said the seats are great to sit in and other than a small section of driver's side piping, they are in perfect condition.
I've thought about Recaro PPs, but would need to test fit to confirm comfort and would needlessly lose the backseat, folding functionality. Not interested in a rollcage.

I'm a simple man, rational at times. This is easy to do, covers most of the bases I want and would leave me content.

I know it's a possible DIY project, but given that some of the piping needs attention and I want it done right, would probably have a local pro do it.
What are your thoughts on dying the seats black?

Old 03-27-2019, 06:27 PM
dukmon
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you could do it, I'd buy aftermarket sets. Why not some RECARO's that do fold like the Sportster CS or similar? Move to black carpet and door cards from there. Black center console trim from LA Dismantlers.

Dice on the rear view mirror......

I think the seats you have now are worth saving to eventually sell with the carpets/door cards, if that time ever comes.
Old 03-27-2019, 06:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

I agree with Dukmon, save your Linen seats since they’re in good condition. Consider buying a set of seats that need work or buy an aftermarket solution that doesn’t limit access to the rear.

If you do decide to change the color, have it done professionally. Every time I’ve seen leatherique or similar dyes used I find the finish looks too shinty and plastic looking.

Out of curiosity, what was the original seat in your car?
Old 03-27-2019, 07:40 PM
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

You could probably finance a set of Sportster CS's by selling those. The new ones offer many more options than the original ones I have. I originally purchased mine for the turbo and when I went to install them found the black did not match. They leather matched the newer 911's which is more grayish black so I had to dye mine to match the turbos interior. I probably have 8k miles in total on them between the two cars and the dye has held up. As with most things its all about the prep work. I would only use color plus products and take your time.

BTW IMO the Sportser's are far more comfortable than any stock seat offer great support and seem to absorb some of the surface bumps while driving. Something to do with the flexible plastic shell. They do sit high in the car so you need to be careful what hardware and sliders you use if you go this route.

Love your car as it is but IMO black or blue interior with cobalt exterior just doesn't get any better
Old 03-27-2019, 08:09 PM
LPMM
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you want to change things up, remove the seats and keep them with the rest of the stuff you mentioned. Get a set of Recaro LXB or LSB seats (LS back bolsters are more pronounced than the LX), bonus points if you can find a set of LXC or LSC which have the thigh extender. These seats are very comfortable and period correct, they would look great in there.
PS: Let me know if you are considering a Cobalt interior.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:17 PM
Kinnebrew Motors
Former Vendor

WOW!!! That car is gorgeous!
Old 03-27-2019, 08:37 PM
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member

All round great feedback. Appreciate the Sportster CS suggestions. That's a good looking seat. Really nice from the back also. Will look into that some more...

Originally Posted by Marine Blue View Post
...Out of curiosity, what was the original seat in your car?
Pic from the interior when Nathan1 previously sold the car.

Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
You could probably finance a set of Sportster CS's by selling those. The new ones offer many more options than the original ones I have. I originally purchased mine for the turbo and when I went to install them found the black did not match. They leather matched the newer 911's which is more grayish black so I had to dye mine to match the turbos interior. I probably have 8k miles in total on them between the two cars and the dye has held up. As with most things its all about the prep work. I would only use color plus products and take your time.

BTW IMO the Sportser's are far more comfortable than any stock seat offer great support and seem to absorb some of the surface bumps while driving. Something to do with the flexible plastic shell. They do sit high in the car so you need to be careful what hardware and sliders you use if you go this route.

Love your car as it is but IMO black or blue interior with cobalt exterior just doesn't get any better
Good things to look out for. Definitely want to sit as low as possible.

Originally Posted by dukmon View Post
If you could do it, I'd buy aftermarket sets. Why not some RECARO's that do fold like the Sportster CS or similar? Move to black carpet and door cards from there. Black center console trim from LA Dismantlers.

Dice on the rear view mirror......

I think the seats you have now are worth saving to eventually sell with the carpets/door cards, if that time ever comes.
Always love your comments! Totally forgot about the dice. It's all in the details. Looking for blue dice now...
Old 03-27-2019, 08:40 PM
cobalt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will check I might have some black interior parts floating around I'm not using.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:40 PM
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LPMM View Post
If you want to change things up, remove the seats and keep them with the rest of the stuff you mentioned. Get a set of Recaro LXB or LSB seats (LS back bolsters are more pronounced than the LX), bonus points if you can find a set of LXC or LSC which have the thigh extender. These seats are very comfortable and period correct, they would look great in there.
PS: Let me know if you are considering a Cobalt interior.
Will look at those Recaros too.

Talk to me about your interior... have seats also? Ultimately want a black interior, but nice blue bits could work also.

Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
I will check I might have some black interior parts floating around I'm not using.
Thanks Anthony.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:21 PM
LPMM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta View Post
Talk to me about your interior... have seats also? Ultimately want a black interior, but nice blue bits could work also.

I was thinking of pulling the seats (also have the rear seats) and door cards, perhaps a few other bits. The only thing that might throw a monkey wrench is that I do not have the rear side panels and rear shelf since mine is a cab.

Old 03-28-2019, 01:46 PM
dukmon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Udo.......... seat I mentioned and another. All less than $2k. Generally about $1.5k.

https://www.stableenergies.com/Recaro/products/296/

Old 03-28-2019, 02:49 PM
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LPMM View Post
I was thinking of pulling the seats (also have the rear seats) and door cards, perhaps a few other bits. The only thing that might throw a monkey wrench is that I do not have the rear side panels and rear shelf since mine is a cab.
Laurent, Sport seats or regular bolsters?
Tempting if sport seats, but it would probably look bested if I then went with blue carpet then. Don't want rear seats or any speakers in the redo, so wouldn't necessarily need the door cards either....
Given some parts would be missing and some RS-style, I've have to think through the back/blue color combo. The blue center console interests me though...

If everything was already already blue in my car, I'd probably leave it the way it is, but if I change the interior, it's my best shot to go with black and be satisfied.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:01 PM
911Jetta
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dukmon View Post
Udo.......... seat I mentioned and another. All less than $2k. Generally about $1.5k.

https://www.stableenergies.com/Recaro/products/296/
Thanks Chip!
Really liking this seat option.

Had Recaro PP on the brain prior to everyone's feedback. Love the fixed bucket idea, but this car isn't about absolute lightweight and the loss of functionality was weighing on me. I definitely have people or put my road bike in the back often enough to want to keep the folding option. This seat offers enhanced leg bolsters, that's a big plus also and one thing the sports seats are still lacking. Definitely look good in a 964 also.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:56 PM
LPMM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911Jetta View Post
Laurent, Sport seats or regular bolsters? Tempting if sport seats
If everything was already already blue in my car, I'd probably leave it the way it is, but if I change the interior, it's my best shot to go with black and be satisfied.
Regular seats unfortunately. I understand about choosing black and being satisfied, just wanted to throw it out there just in case.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:09 PM
LAcarguy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Udo, I may be biased but I tried the black/blue combo with RSA seats and hated the look. You already have steering wheel and dash in blue, it would look wrong to have black mixed in. With Laurent's door cards, console and your existing cobalt stuff you are only carpets and rear parcel shelf/panels away from a full conversion. You can add foam and recover the bolsters in cobalt for regular seats, not perfect but it can be done and works pretty well. Store your originals.

BTW what color is your headliner? Worth considering.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting used to the new color: Cobalt

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: