Sponsored by:

WWRLD/What would Rennlisters do; to sell or not to sell

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 02:23 PM
MikeP.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WWRLD/What would Rennlisters do; to sell or not to sell

I’m on the horns of a dilemma and my friend suggested I throw it out to Rennlist for discussion.

Last year I was looking for a nice 964 C4 coupe to own and cherish forever. The plan was to sell my current ’91 C4 (which has had a rough life) and replace it with a new one.
While I was searching for the car, I stumbled on a 1990 964 C4 with 18K miles. This black on black car was a special order, Euro delivery car. The buyer ordered it with no sunroof (making this the only US 964 C4 with a factory sunroof delete that we can find) and sport seats. When the heads leaked (as all the early cars did) he had a warranty repair done at his dealer. At that time they replaced his old pistons and heads with larger pieces creating a 3.8 displacement motor.
The car has all original paint and is otherwise unaltered; its like a time capsule. I added a Rennline gas pedal as a reversible mod. I also covered 80% of the car with Xpel film.

I put a few thousand miles on it last season; it has 22K now. What I really want is an almost daily driver and I can’t seem to bring myself to run the miles up on this car. Forget about feeling good driving it in the winter.

So my question is, what would you guys do? Say “screw it!” and just enjoy the car for the rest of my natural life, or sell it and my ’91 and replace them with a nice, driver-quality car I was originally looking for? Not sure where it would make sense to sell it.

PS I’m well aware of how lucky I am to have this “problem”

Old 04-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Joseph Schneider
Advanced

I would keep this example and invest in your other C4 to get it to driver quality condition. If that cant be reasonably done without dumping money into the car, I'd sell the tired C4 and find another Porsche to be your DD.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:40 PM
MikeP.
Instructor

Joseph, if I had the cash I would do just that. But I can't afford the work that the original car needs without freeing up the money I have in the other car. #firstworldproblems
Old 04-09-2018, 02:56 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Ha! The curse of all these garage queens: you feel bad putting miles on them!

i have 2 cars with 300,000 miles total lol !

sell it, buy a drivers quality car, enjoy it. You are not getting any younger.
Old 04-09-2018, 03:00 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

What he said...........
Old 04-09-2018, 03:52 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I think it really depends on how many miles a year and if you intend to use it in the winter. If you are piling 12k miles a year and driving it year round I would definitely sell it and buy a nice driver.

Another option is to buy another car (something less expensive like a Golf GTI) to drive on rainy days and in the winter and keep this for the nice days. That’s what I would do.

Old 04-09-2018, 04:07 PM
tjb616
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 105 Posts

If you can afford the depreciation on the car, drive the crap out of it. Someone has to eventually! Might as well be you.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:31 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Problem is that most folks are asking for crazy money for cars that are questionable and you have a pristine example. By the time you purchase another C4 and address all of its issues, I am not sure there will be much of a financial upside and you will have more down time for sure. Why get into an unknown when you can simply enjoy what you have now. Drive it and make memories, that is what it was built for.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:39 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

You will not be around in a 100 years and who cares if that car is! Drive and enjoy it but avoid winters if You want it to last as long as You! Keep it and save it for yourself, not somebode else!
Old 04-09-2018, 07:53 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

Keep it.

Treat it like he just bought it new and drove it off the dealers lot. In 10 years will be the driver that you're looking for now but you will be able to find one. In less than 10 years you'll probably be able to manage to get a winter beater.

grow old together – you won't regret it.

Pete
Old 04-09-2018, 08:17 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

A very simple complex question? There is no right answer. The car is a survivor and no matter how anyone looks at it we are caretakers of these cars until they either crash and burn, move on or worse become Singers.

I consider myself blessed that I can pick from some excellent classics to drive but I do consider the value of the drive more now than before. Looking back I had some great drives I will never forget and countless miles I regret. That is subjective.

I understand the dilemma and if it were me feeling this way I would consider an alternative weather DD to share the load and if that doesn't work I would market it at a collector price and if it sells it is someone else's problem. Down side you drive it; up side you should be able to do a number of things with the money.

I gave up DD'ing these cars back in the 80's back when the traffic load and inconsiderate drivers increased exponentially and made it less attractive. So you have to evaluate what your lifestyle offers you.

No matter how you look at it the end there will only be so many survivors and the rest will be restorations and the like.

GL
Old 04-09-2018, 08:34 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Anthony brings up a good point, these cars aren’t the best daily drivers anyways unless your drive to work is through the canyons or up/down route 1 on the California coast.

My vote again is to find a lesser DD and keep and enjoy this on the nice days.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:38 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It's a car not a portfolio. Drive it like you stole it.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:43 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

if you are going to sell, buy the car you want to replace it first - rather than selling then starting the hunt. There aren't many good 964's out there right now.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:09 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

But I don’t think he wants to daily drive it. I think he means that he wont look at the odometer constantly after every drive since it is ALMOST a daily driver.

if you want to daily drive a 964 in a major city, to commute and stay in traffic, you are an idiot

Quick Reply: WWRLD/What would Rennlisters do; to sell or not to sell