Sponsored by:

WWRLD/What would Rennlisters do; to sell or not to sell

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 02:35 AM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
if you want to daily drive a 964 in a major city, to commute and stay in traffic, you are an idiot
Another school of thought is, if you enjoy driving your old air-cooled Porsche every day, and you can, then you're an idiot NOT to
Old 04-10-2018, 07:39 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm in the "Keep It!" camp. Will you ever easily find another 964 in the same condition with similar options? Realistically you already have the driver-quality car in it, so I wouldn't worry about trying to have a low odometer for the next owner's enjoyment. Maintain it and enjoy it.
Old 04-10-2018, 07:58 AM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I recently purchased an MX-5 Club for daily duties including winter fun. It isn't nearly as powerful as the 964 and GT3, but it has a fantastic transmission and suspension when fitted with coil-overs. This allows me to savor the Porsche drives on nice days. Daily driving them desensitizes the experience.

Keep the garage queen, sell the tired one and get a disposable, fun daily driver.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:46 AM
MikeP.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice to know there's the full gamut of opinion on this. My daily drive is on suburban roads, many fun. But it is in the greater NYC area and has lots of traffic, i.e. lots of texters driving SUVs. Maybe I need to start a thread on fun daily drivers...
Old 04-10-2018, 11:26 AM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP.
Maybe I need to start a thread on fun daily drivers...
A well-sorted 986. Still has a minimalistic feel similar to the 964 while being very livable day-to-day, and two trunks! Available in 2.5, 2.7, and 3.2 flavors.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:27 AM
DTMLGND
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

What a lucky guy you are!! If it were me, I'd keep it. Sell the '91 and get a fun almost-daily that pushes the buttons for you. There's so many choices out there.
Do the 'reversible' mods you need to do to the 'garage queen' and drive it to your hearts content. Albeit a fairly 'rare' option car with low miles, the motor has been massaged a bit so it's not museum-quality so to speak.
You will regret it if you sell, guaranteed. Your ticket to years of pleasureable driving for the rest of your natural life is 'already' in your garage. How many miles do you expect to drive it annually? Even if you put 5k for the next 10 years, you're still under 75k!! Just my $ 0.02
Good Luck!!
Old 04-10-2018, 12:17 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

no simple answer, but certainly a nice problem to have. it sounds like you really don't want to rack up the miles, so i'd say sell it if the funds aren't available on the other car. that said, that car is going to continue to rise in value - until only electric toasters are mandated for daily driving.

Last edited by rsabeebe; 04-11-2018 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:18 PM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Same spec as my car. Non suroof C4 with rebuilt engine, 16" wheels, sport seats.

Mine has 165K miles. Every one of them enjoyed. Not all by me though.

One can not advise you wisely. Me? I would drive it. Everywhere. All the time. But I get my kicks from driving and maintaining, not from looking and oohing/aahing.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:22 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP.
But it is in the greater NYC area and has lots of traffic, i.e. lots of texters driving SUVs.
It does not matter where you live, it a plague nowadays. I was just out and waiting to turn left and cross traffic where a lady in her Suburban was at a dead stop in the middle lane with a green light so she could be on her phone, a car came up behind her at the 45mph speed limit and narrowly missed her by changing lanes at the last second. Last week, some hipster was in the lane next to me FaceTiming while driving. You can't fix stupid! Drive the 964, just be extra vigilant.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:25 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts
Thumbs up seems...

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Another school of thought is, if you enjoy driving your old air-cooled Porsche every day, and you can, then you're an idiot NOT to
seems you can't win....but...you already have...drive it, qq
Old 04-10-2018, 01:46 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by LPMM
Problem is that most folks are asking for crazy money for cars that are questionable and you have a pristine example. By the time you purchase another C4 and address all of its issues, I am not sure there will be much of a financial upside and you will have more down time for sure. Why get into an unknown when you can simply enjoy what you have now. Drive it and make memories, that is what it was built for.
+964

C4 with 3.8, sports seats, and sans sunroof. That's the one bro!
You're really going to hate yourself if you sell it for a driver that ends up costing you money on deferred maintenance...
Since you already can afford to buy such a nice 964, buy a $4,000 Honda Civic as a backup driver.
You've already put a couple thousand miles on the car, continue to enjoy it.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:09 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I had a close call this weekend in my Spyder, driving 60 in a 55 this lady pulls to a stop sign and stops. I’m about 100 ft away and she pulls out! I get on the horn in hopes she stops before entering my lane and she just keeps going. I was going way to fast to stop and had to swerve around her. When I passed she had this look of shock like she never saw me.

It’s really no fun driving on highly traveled roads anymore, way too many idiots and distracted drivers these days.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:16 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

these cars bring enjoyment when driven

to have a nice car and not drive it is missing the whole point imho

you own it you store it you service it you pay insurance and registration then save the enjoyment for the next guy? in the long run we are all dead

getting a dd makes sense if you don't want to put 'routine/no fun' miles on it on a boring grinding commute, or if your commute entails doing conference calls etc etc so you are effectively tuned out the driving anyways
Old 04-10-2018, 10:53 PM
#BePositive
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Simple solution

You buy more cars!
Thereby spreading the miles per car out
Say you do 12k miles a year. Over 4 cars is only 3k miles a year (max).
I have 5 cars and drive them all the time - that way nothing gets more than 6k miles and that’s my DD (2017 M2 manual)
Come on, you have enough money to do it
Old 04-11-2018, 08:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

^^^^ What he said. LOL. I usually rotate mine and will drive one for a month and then switch to another etc.

Quick Reply: WWRLD/What would Rennlisters do; to sell or not to sell