Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

re-dye back seats. this isn't a dumb idea is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 03:41 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts
Default re-dye back seats. this isn't a dumb idea is it?

Sorry for littering this forum with my project ideas. After looking for backseats to buy in black, I discovered that my '94 back seats are different than pre-94 seats, so it hasn't been easy to find replacement ones to use. Redying the perfectly good back seats from tan to black shouldn't be a big deal right? They don't get a ton of use, so I'm not worried about wear. Am I miss-calculating the work required to do this? I've used color-plus products before. They are expensive, but assuming readily available, I'll use that. If not, I kind of assume that some of the cheaper kits on amazon would work as well. I'm just going to black, so its not like I'm worried about getting the color correct. Black is black...
Old 03-31-2018, 11:05 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Easy to do
Old 03-31-2018, 11:08 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Look into www.colorplus.com for products.
Old 03-31-2018, 11:42 PM
mowaffaq
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

It would be greatly appreciated if you could post pictures pre and post intervention if you end up going this route.
Old 04-01-2018, 11:32 PM
justin-in-athens
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I won't say its a dumb idea, but i will say NO not all black dyes are the same, and yes, you need to order specific dye. Leatherique is a name I am sure you have heard before if yo want to go this route. I would advise you NOT, to go this route. Even if done correctly, they will not age or hold up as well as factory seats. I have done it.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:19 AM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

Ok. Getting a quote just to recover tomorrow vs dye.
Old 04-02-2018, 02:27 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

All car leather is coated with a colour dye and most then have a sealer on top to stop the dye from rubbing off. Similar to car paint.

Good colour changes take the sealer off and most of the old dye, then spray with new dye and sealer. With the right technique and colour it should be a great outcome. Just putting a random dye over sealer is never going to be the best outcome.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Color plus is a great product and IMO the only one to use. She can match your interior exactly and I have done complete color changes by spraying. It is all in the prep work and it takes time to do properly but worth being patient when doing. Black is easy cashmere is tougher to get to look like the factory finish.

I recommend the kit. I buy the softener and feed all my leather yearly. It keeps them supple like new and prevents creasing and cracking.

In what way are your seats different? They switched seats from the top button style (pre 964) to the lower red pull bar and back again to the top push button in 92 AFAIK otherwise they should be the same for 92-94
Old 04-02-2018, 03:55 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

A couple people reached out to me with black seats for sale. But they all had the lower button near the hinge, not on top like mine. I was told this was 1994 only. Maybe that is incorrect. Ultimately, I’d prefer to start with factory black seats rather than color change them, but if it’s not a reasonable option, then i’ll call color plus - I use her products for conditioning, and understand the quality she offers.

if there is a place to buy rear seats from at a reasonable price point, I’d still prefer that...
Old 04-02-2018, 03:59 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Andrews
if there is a place to buy rear seats from at a reasonable price point, I’d still prefer that...
LA Dismantlers?
Old 04-02-2018, 04:41 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

A couple people reached out to me with black seats for sale. But they all had the lower button near the hinge, not on top like mine. I was told this was 1994 only. Maybe that is incorrect. Ultimately, I’d prefer to start with factory black seats rather than color change them, but if it’s not a reasonable option, then i’ll call color plus - I use her products for conditioning, and understand the quality she offers.

The top button was actually used prior to 89 and again in 92. I have them on my 93 C2 as well. Not sure why they switched away and then back again. You can try LA Dismantler's as suggested or DC automotive. I have a pair in black leather in my C2 from a 3.2 carrera. I wanted to keep my original cashmere parts so I picked them up on Pelican cheep. You can use the earlier ones the carpeting is different but seat back are the same. The 3.2 lower seat cushions are different and won't work.

You might also try autobahn Dismantling in CA I believe they have all the parts taken from the 964's use for singers.
Old 04-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Matt Andrews
Rennlist Member

LA dismantlers wants $400 plus shipping. (and tax here in CA)
Autobahn is $300. But apparently Singer keeps the seats with the buttons on top.

I think I'm just going to dye them.

Is it this I need?
https://colorplus.com/products/standard-color-kits/

Just making sure "recolor" means a color change and not just a freshening up of the stock color.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:56 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

LA dismantlers wants $400 plus shipping. (and tax here in CA)
Autobahn is $300. But apparently Singer keeps the seats with the buttons on top.

I think I'm just going to dye them.

Is it this I need?
https://colorplus.com/products/standard-color-kits/

Just making sure "recolor" means a color change and not just a freshening up of the stock color.
It is all about the cleaning and feeding prior to the painting. If you don't plan to use the dye on more than the rear seats I would call and request them to split the dye into two cans. You will probably only need the one and this way you have the second as back up unopened. They will walk you through the process and worth a call instead of ordering online.
Old 04-04-2018, 08:10 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I've been down this path with decent results.

All info I have read here matches my experience, bar the discussion on the release **** (can't comment on that).

Prep is key. Take your time, I took 6 weeks from start to end. Most of that was drying time. You don't want to rush it and start over... trust me on that.

The result does not hold up to wear. After 7 to 8 years in a no wear area it starts to rub off, just from cleaning and conditioning products (done every 3 months). It can be reapplied, but it takes time, again.

No matter how good the color reproduction, or matching is... it won't match perfectly. The level of fade is different throughout the car. It may match fine in one part and differ in another. Buying unmatched is a risk. Since you are doing the full seat, this should be less of a problem.

Something nobody said is, do the work under a really good LED light. Cool white, with high CRI. This will allow you to see color shades you won't see under most light (or even flat daylight). If not, things may look great and when you drive the car out into daylight you notice brush strokes with different shades.

Finally, dilute your top color coat with demineralized water. It will help blend the shades together.

I don't ever want to do this again... it really wasn't fun in the end. I was satisfied with the outcome though.

For just back seats, it wouldn't be too bad, but your drying times will be the same.

I used both products mentioned before and both are top notch... can't go wrong with either. Their line of cleaners and conditioners are superb as well.
Old 04-04-2018, 09:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^ did you apply it with an applicator or spray it?

Quick Reply: re-dye back seats. this isn't a dumb idea is it?