964 Forum
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Re-Introduction: A Targa Refurb

Old 09-14-2018, 01:09 PM
Deserion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Installed the rear alignment pin covers. I had presumed they would be hard plastic and not the firm vinyl (I think) they actually are. The process was a bear, took plenty of effort to get them on but they are. Cleaned the silentbloc bearings in the rollbar since the prior covers left pieces in there, and reinstalled the roof. Definitely takes more effort to install but should fix the rattle.

I had planned on getting the driver's side speakers into the door panel though I ran into issues - such as installing the tweeter bracket on the panel backside reversed. With that corrected and the tweeter adhered into the new mount, then that side will be ready. All I have left for the passenger side is to locate the foam ring and original weather baffle.
Old 09-15-2018, 02:11 AM
Deserion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Second weather baffle and foam ring located.

Drivers side speakers are done and the door is all buttoned up (until I remove it from the car for check strap welding). Also the Rennline goodies from Dukmon arrived today as well.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:46 PM
Deserion
Addict
Rennlist Member

After I got home yesterday from handling a beer run, I dug in to determine why the spoiler didn't come up (and the warning light came on). Driveshaft was secure in the motor, hmm. Oh wait, the driveshaft came out of the transmission... and turns out the transmission case split apart as the epoxy I used when I replaced the bearing in 2016 failed.

I did get the brakes flushed with fresh DOT4 on Saturday, which led to the discovery of a crunchy-looking clutch line when I got in there to bleed that. The new line should arrive today and I'll swap that while it's on stands for the valve adjustment. A few weeks back I installed the 993 rubber plug for the master cylinder reservoir vent line, secured with a 9.5mm Oetiker clamp. Allows the Motive to keep nice pressure.
Old 10-04-2018, 04:29 PM
ffc
User

Originally Posted by Deserion View Post
After I got home yesterday from handling a beer run, I dug in to determine why the spoiler didn't come up (and the warning light came on). Driveshaft was secure in the motor, hmm. Oh wait, the driveshaft came out of the transmission... and turns out the transmission case split apart as the epoxy I used when I replaced the bearing in 2016 failed.
I had this problem repeatedly, in the end I stumped up for a new transmission.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:27 PM
Deserion
Addict
Rennlist Member

Time to post some updates.

Spoiler transmission is fixed, with a better epoxy this time. I have had good experience with the Hardman/Double Bubble line. Comes in small packets and easy to get the right ratio. Also used that on fixing the bezel lip on the tachometer a few months ago.

Took a day trip on 11/3 with mom and her 987 - was my dad’s birthday. It’s something he would’ve enjoyed.

Pardon the filthy wheels.

Carmon Red ‘06 2.7L

In other news, I finally updated the headlights! While I wanted to jump on one of the great pre-made offerings, those were a touch out of my budget. So I made my own.

I ended up using Morimoto Sealed7 LED units in Beetle/356 housings with fluted lenses. I tried getting the housings from Pelican, but they’re now showing their ECS ownership with the site showing inventory while they tell me they haven’t had them in a long time. Went through JBugs for those parts. While not excellent, it’s acceptable. I’m not entirely pleased with the fit so I will have to fiddle with them a bit more. I also need to bring the beams up a touch, though the improvement is drastic. Later on I will likely buck-up for JW Speaker LED units and OEM H4 lenses.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Re-Introduction: A Targa Refurb

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: