Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

' 94 964 C4 Wide Body or a '93 RS America?

Old 03-28-2018, 04:46 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts
Default ' 94 964 C4 Wide Body or a '93 RS America?

I am having a hard time choosing between the purchase of a '95 964 C4 Wide Body or a '93 RS America (with Radio, Sunroof, AC options). I have looked at the pros and cons of each in every way imaginable and keep coming up a toss up for each. I was hoping some esteemed members here in this forum may provide some feedback where I can make a decision on which one.

A little background ... I own a 2004 GT3 that is essentially flawless with low miles. I LOVE this car and will never part with it. I track it maybe 2 times a year as the GT3 was made for the track.

As far as value goes, they both are close to being the same, with the RS America probably worth more these days. The C4 is more of a luxury standard Porsche, the RSA more of a track car. I like both concepts. The wide body looks simply bad a$$. The whale tail on the RSA screams performance. Some other Porsche owners have said the RSA is merely a glorified C2 and not a true RS ... some truth to that but the one I drove had the suspension and handling of a race car and not a stock street 964. I can see me owning both of them as I already own a great track car in the GT3.

Any insights or help that can illuminate a line of thinking that I have not yet done will be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:37 PM
Jbarnes RS
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you comparing a 964 wide body to an RSA. I think that the last year was 94 for the wide body.

I personally would buy the C4. RSA is a parts bin marketing ploy. It worked....the seats and no power rack make the car special.

The C4 wide body is the best looking 911 ever. They will continue to go up in value we're as the RS America values have already peaked and stabilized.

You already own a go too fast car in the GT3.
If you could find a good quality C4 it checks more of the sexy dinner/CC car. You don't see them very often. I would love to have one.
Good C4 wide body will cost $30k more than the same mileage condition RS America.

Finding a good example of either car will be harder than the decision of which to buy.

Good luck either choice is a good one.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:31 PM
RADONCulous
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 67 Posts

I'm biased but I would say go for an RSA. Aesthetically its a gorgeous car and I think the uniqueness is brought on by the spartan interior, door pulls, racing seats, manual steering rack. It always feels special and brings a smile to most people's face when they see it. Although it has the same power plant for better of for worse as the C2 it makes it mechanically an easy car to get parts for despite it being relatively rare. I think there were less WB C4s made and is subjective, but I also find them to be aesthetically appealing cars. If I recall correctly there was a similar thread to this one about a year ago and somebody who owned both cars commented. In regards to investment I'm not sure we've seen the peak for either cars though from what I'm seeing in auctions and listings the RSA tends to be more expensive. Also I've seen some C4 WB cars sell for <80k on this forum and again if I recall correctly one sold for in the 60k range in the last year. I don't think there were decent RSAs in that range--I could be wrong. I would go for the car thats more suited for your driving style...can't lose either way...
Old 03-28-2018, 11:50 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

c4 drive feels really different than a c2 - i would think a wb c4 even more so
Old 03-29-2018, 12:54 AM
TuonoR
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

If you love the GT3, I'd lean toward the RSA. The cloth center seats, RS door cards and manual rack will resonate. And for GT3 devotees it never hurts to have a factory "RS" on the car (even if its just a sticker).

While I admittedly have a soft spot for the aesthetic of the M491 widebody, its heavier on 2 counts (4wd + widebody) with base carrera power.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:16 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I think it will come down to the driving experience vs appearance. The widebody definitely wins in the appearance category in my book but the driving experience will be better in the RSA. Personally I would go for the RSA but my preference has always been going for the reduced weight version of a car whenever possible.
Old 03-29-2018, 01:21 AM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Widebody with narrowbody trailing arms and some deep dish bbs.

/thread
Old 03-29-2018, 04:12 AM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 137 Posts

Widebidy plus supercharger would make up for some of that extra weight!

pete
Old 03-29-2018, 10:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

As said two very different cars. You already have a performer and seem quite happy as you should be. The RSA is a unique car and was all the rage when it came out. It is nothing more than a C2 with fixed tail (6 pounds heavier than the movable wing), M030 (turbo) suspension, manual steering rack,(heavy when not moving) rear seat delete and other little changes like non powered side mirrors and special RS style door cards which amount to about 75 pounds in savings. Any C2 can be modified to emulate an RSA. IMO if you can find a nice RSA with 2 of the 5 options I would consider it first. Those would be metallic paint and LSD. (although the 964 LSD is a POS 40/40) A later 993 Style 40/60 or guard is a much better performer. If it has a sunroof or A/C I would pass.

The C4 is a great looking car but it is a cruiser and not a sports car like the RSA. It is far heavier and slower with AWD. The looks are Bad *** but the rear trailing arms are heavy and slow at reacting in comparison. More of a high speed sweeper vs a nimble performer. As other suggested these fitted with narrow body rear trailing arms in RWD are the best a 964 could be although that was only offered in the 3.8RS. ($1mm+)

The RSA is actually more rare than the C4 WB. The RSA was a US only production marketing ploy selling over 700 units the 94 C4 WB was also offered in 93 as the Jubilee or anniversary car for ROW market. So in total some 1352 examples were produced. For US market only 267 units were made.

Sounds like you will be happier with the C4 as a driver since you have a GT3 but you need to weigh all the factors and most importantly drive each before you decide. In either case buy the best you can and have a thorough PPI done as many of these are hiding all sorts of issues.
The following users liked this post:
doc_porsche (12-14-2019)
Old 03-29-2018, 12:25 PM
Jordan Pryce
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm biased for sure, but to me the 964 just looks perfect in the narrow body and the RSA is an excellent example of the era.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:04 PM
jdrake
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RADONCulous
... If I recall correctly there was a similar thread to this one about a year ago and somebody who owned both cars commented...
You are correct, sir. I just found that thread and read it. After all the comments (thank you everyone), it is easy to see how I could go either way. My decision will come down to the manner in which I want to drive my next purchase. I will let this thread know my decision.

Thank you,
Old 03-29-2018, 11:02 PM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

I owned one the wide body C4's many years ago - It looked great but I thought it was just too heavy. I'd go with a RSA or probably a standard C2 in a heart beat.
Phil

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ' 94 964 C4 Wide Body or a '93 RS America?