Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Becker Indianapolis Navi MAP Database

Old 03-20-2018, 10:31 PM
dbrennlist
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Becker Indianapolis Navi MAP Database

Here's the problem. Becker stopped updating their Indianapolis/Indianapolis Pro Navi Data Base in 2007 (probably along with many other Becker Navi w/CD stereo).

I remember reading something about this on Rennlist some time ago, but I can't find it anymore. Some member hinted to the possibility of using the BMW Navi Map CD's and tinkering a little bit with it, to make it work with the Becker Indianapolis Stereo.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Last edited by dbrennlist; 03-20-2018 at 10:35 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-20-2018, 11:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I would personally switch to a new Bluetooth headunit and use your phone for navigation. You'll never struggle with getting updates in the future and if you use an App like Waze you'll have live traffic and police sightings.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:27 AM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 80 Posts

I can’t help with getting updated cd’s, but the navi usefulness is very limited in my opinion- for the Indianapolis or the new Classic radio. The radio is just too far out of the driving sight line to glance over at for reading directions. Probably acceptable for quiet country roads, but nothing that I would use in the city. I suction my iphone in the window with Waze for navigation, which has the enormous benefit of crowd-sourced speed trap alerts.

I recently swapped my cdr-220 for an Indianapolis Pro. I only have the last set of European cd’s. I don’t know if I would ever use it for navigation, but I would be interested in US cd’s for the novelty. Have you taken a look to see what’s on the discs and in what format?

Personally, I think that the Indianapolis Pro is the best option out there. My list of likes: the compass pointer is handy, bluetooth works great with my iphone, the rare “ipod kit” allows control of any ipod/iphone and artist/track/etc info is displayed on the screen, it has subwoofer pre-outs if needed, can search radio stations based on signal strength/genre, best: it looks perfect. It can even display song lyrics from radio stations, which my wife finds pretty entertaining. I’m still working through all of the options in the 72 page manual...
Old 03-21-2018, 10:33 AM
dbrennlist
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The story with my 964 car stereo goes back a long time.

Let's say I'm happy with the current layout, which is Becker Indianapolis, Solisto 10 CD Changer Emulator, Parrot MK9000i, Alpine Digital Class D amplifier, a good set a of 2 way speakers, and a Powered Subwoofer.
It doesn't look like a big deal, but it's the result of years of "fiddling" (and a lot of compromising) with the car sound system.
The 964 is a very hostile environment, both for installing and listening.

This layout has a few perks.
For instance, the Parrot can import the phone contact directory, making it possible to make calls using voice commands.

And while it's true that the Navi System display, in both the Indy and the PCRN, as you pointed out, is practically useless, I must say that I rarely look at it; I listen to the vocal directions.
The Indy navi system voices over directions smoothly, and blends with the music playing (it's adjustable) nicely. That's one of the reasons why I want to stick with the Indy.

I tried the PCRN system, HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT. So I'm switching back.

I was, as you suggested, thinking at looking at the old Becker CD's, try some sort of reverse engineering, and see if I can use a current Data Base taken from some other source.

It looks like a hefty job, anyway. I'll keep you posted...

Last edited by dbrennlist; 03-21-2018 at 11:37 AM.
Old 06-20-2023, 03:48 PM
StefanoP
6th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Hello all,

first of all a HUGE thanks to you all at Rennlist. IMHO It's the best place in the world for Porsche owners and I love it, though I'm only a lurker (time, work surgery, sheer laziness etc)

http://www.stefanopasini.it/Cars-Index_Porsche.htm

My beloved 2000 996-610, the last of a fairly long line of 911s I've owned, has been submerged by water during the floods that hit very hard Northern Italy and especially Romagna (Faenza) in May. My 996 is being rescued/ restored by Porsche Italia so it will be good, though the final price will make me hope for a meteor to crash in Bologna before I pay for it.

A minor problem is the immaculate Becker CR-22 in my 40,000 miles 2000 C4 Cabrio was flooded as well, so while waiting for a similarly immaculate CR-22 to show up on eBay I'd fit a very nice unbespielt Becker Indianapolis I just bought. I had it on my 996 Turbo and it was fine, but maps update is a problem as Becker ignores its past owners. Does anyone know how to update the maps (on a CD, not DVD) to a failry recent date? Thanks!

Best

Stefano Pasini

Last edited by StefanoP; 06-20-2023 at 03:49 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Becker Indianapolis Navi MAP Database