Sponsored by:

Tasteful Interior Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 10:42 AM
galanevans
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tasteful Interior Upgrades

So...I've got a bone stock '91 C2 Coupe in Black on Black. It's a daily driver so will never be a Show Queen or a Track Superstar. I love the car as is, but am thinking of some interior upgrades to give it just a slightly custom touch and help the ole' girl feel a little fresher.

Any suggestions or pics to share from the community?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:25 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

My interior is still pretty stock-ish, too, which I actually like. I'd say my car is probably similar in nature to yours - it will never be a track-focused car, unless I someday get a 993/997, and it is definitely not perfect, but it is nice.

What I have done follows:

I replaced the steering wheel with a Momo Prototipo
I installed Rennline non-adjustable pedals (I figured I would never be adjusting the accelerator pedal so why pay extra?) in silver
I swapped the interior dome light festoon bulbs with LEDs, as well as all of the little back-lights on the dash gauges. I also did the lamp in the frunk and the trunk. It's nice to be able to see in the dark! In fact, almost all of the bulbs on my car are now LED.
I have resisted the urge to replace the shifter, although I did do the Rothsport short shift which retains the stock ****, along with the FD "Golden Rod" shift rod and the FD forward shift rod - not necessarily interior updates, but you constantly interface with those mechanicals in the interior. I wanted to keep the original shift boot as I kinda like having it there. Others prefer the full billet and trim down the boot.
I've also replaced one of the buttons on my CCU which was falling apart, but that was just maintenance, not necessarily an upgrade.

Although I have not done it, some people like to color match their seat belts to the exterior color, but yours is already there being a black/black so you're ahead of the game on that one!

I've contemplated the RS door cards, but I use the map pockets for storage, so that is a no-go for me, for now at least.

Oh, I also put in a fire-extinguisher & mounted to the front of the driver's seat (does not interfere with driving), and a cupholder which attaches to the front inner seat rail of the passenger seat! I like that a lot, lol.

I guess the last interior modification I can think of, although you don't see it, is I recently added Tore Bergvill's T-Lock module to my car so I can remotely lock/unlock the doors. That has been a really nice upgrade which I'm very happy with.

At some point in the future I would like to really work over the stereo system. I love Porsche's new Classic Navigation Radio unit, but I have a hard time justifying the cost. There are a few other neat units out there - I like the Continental units people use, in particular. Nicer speakers attached to the doors instead of the door cards coupled to an amplifier and maybe a small underseat subwoofer to really fill out the frequency bandwidth would be nice. It's been on the list for a while, but I haven't gotten there yet.

At one point, I really wanted to make the car more in the attitude of an "outlaw", but I think now I am happy that it is mostly stock with a few good modifications here and there. There seems to be less and less of them out there, or at least that is my perception. Plus, I drive my car almost every day, too, so it needs to be able to cope with daily driven life.
The following users liked this post:
galanevans (01-06-2022)
Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

An updated headunit always helps spruce up the interior and allows for wireless streaming of music which is convenient.

Steering wheels, shift ***** and hand brake levers are also easy mods. Another change would be the rings around the gauges, I’ve seen them in silver and various other colors depending on the them your going for. There’s a great interior thread here, some great upgrades shown in that thread.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:12 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Great ideas mentioned

I can add: :
The PO of my 993 replaced the inside (plastic) door handles with aluminum. It's subtle but I use 'em every time (unless I exit through the window or sunroof - not )
e.g. http://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Alu...fo/DH02/BLACK/
Also, I did an Alcantara steering wheel re-cover. Not much other scope for that fabric in a 964, but I like the feel.
(If you'd like to see ... cars are at Autobahn in Joliet waiting for Spring)
Old 03-20-2018, 04:39 PM
galanevans
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Great feedback...thanks for the suggestions. I think the stereo & steering wheel is definitely in scope, and the pedals are also in need of attention. I LOVE the recovered dash panels, but I'm thinking that may open up a can of really expensive worms? I did a cassette holder swap for cup holders, which has been brilliant.

Are seats (Recaro, etc) a pretty simple swap out? The padding on the drivers side seems spent, so maybe a rebuild with some accent piping or contrast inserts.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:06 PM
faverymi
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a pair of whatever seats you wish.

Go bananas with the upholstery design of your choice.

Pasha
Singer
Cloth
RSA
Recaro buckets
Classic GTS stuff
Flannel
Zebra
Cow
Tiger
ETC...
Old 03-20-2018, 06:17 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Below are some interior upgrades I've done including custom RS door panels, modern head unit with period correct looks, Porsche cup steering wheel, Rennline pedals, new floor mats, Asfolt aluminum ignition bezel, Asfolt aluminum door lock, Asfolt aluminum door pins, and red emergency button. Only items I'd consider doing in the future are lower dash delete and some Recaro foldable bucket seats.

Old 03-20-2018, 10:56 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

I found the interior work in my 964 to be really gratifying. My stock interior was full burgundy, so quite strong. Burgundy steering wheel, carpets, dash, seats....it was a little barf-tacular.

I never liked the interior carpet, which was quite worn and faded. So, I took the carpets completely out, thinking I'd replace with a grey sliverknit. After driving sans carpets for a few days, I really loved the clean, raw feel and simplicity of no carpets at all. My original seats were in fair shape, but just felt tired and dated to the 90's, which isn't bad, but not what I wanted. I started with a Momo wheel and sort of went from there. I definitely took a more minimalist approach and removed the radio. Doing so necessitated recovering the door cards to cover the speaker holes.

Still have a few things I want done. If you do leather work, source all of it at the same time to avoid mismatches. You'll see in my pics how I learned that lesson!

Have fun with it and make it your own.

Name:  photo571.jpg
Views: 2954
Size:  537.2 KBName:  photo612.jpg
Views: 3999
Size:  547.8 KBName:  photo911.jpg
Views: 3021
Size:  518.6 KBName:  photo787.jpg
Views: 4194
Size:  942.0 KBName:  photo500.jpg
Views: 3551
Size:  894.0 KBName:  photo14.jpg
Views: 4021
Size:  966.0 KBName:  photo861.jpg
Views: 2950
Size:  1.02 MBName:  photo204.jpg
Views: 3619
Size:  901.5 KB
Old 03-21-2018, 12:34 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 81 Posts

My car too is black on black. The interior is so dark that initially I figured I could use a lot more lighting but that thought pattern changed after I became familiar with the interior and where everything is located (first Porsche for me.)

I've done some of the same interior mods as some guys above have and feel I'm close to things being where I'd like them.

Current wants/needs:
May either refinish or replace the seats at some point; they're pretty tired. I kind of like the worn/beat up look though. I could use some new floor mats too but am waiting to see about scoring a colored tachometer face (orange?) and might want the floor mats colors to tie in with that.

Have done to lighten the interior color:
Aluminum door controls
Aluminum pedals
Ignition surround

Also:
Period stereo modified to charge and play music from my iPhone

I like the RS door cards but like someone else mentioned, I'll probably never go with that mod. I need the storage space.

Old 03-21-2018, 12:50 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 395 Likes on 262 Posts

Name:  photo424.jpg
Views: 2940
Size:  1.15 MB
Old 03-21-2018, 12:50 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

First I've noticed that my cars interior mimics my KISS costume!

I really need to clean my car too........
Old 03-21-2018, 12:52 PM
dukmon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Goughary

Holy wow.......... that's tasteful. Really nice.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:12 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

@dukmon ^ Pasha ignition surround is subtle and very cool!
Old 03-21-2018, 02:16 PM
Tmistry
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by dukmon
Holy wow.......... that's tasteful. Really nice.
Agree, love this tartan look and the matching doorcards look great. Very cool.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:47 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
...Asfolt aluminum ignition bezel, Asfolt aluminum door lock, Asfolt aluminum door pins, and red emergency button.

Great choices all around. I really like the knurled edge on the Asfolt aluminum parts. Red emergency button for the win!

Originally Posted by Tmistry
I really loved the clean, raw feel and simplicity of no carpets at all. My original seats were in fair shape, but just felt tired and dated to the 90's, which isn't bad, but not what I wanted. I started with a Momo wheel and sort of went from there. I definitely took a more minimalist approach and removed the radio. Doing so necessitated recovering the door cards to cover the speaker holes.
+1

Also like how you covered the door pockets in woven black leather. Very nice.

Quick Reply: Tasteful Interior Upgrades