964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig

Old 11-23-2018, 08:49 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Lookin' good! Those wheels look familiar. Did you stop at the Tree House?
Old 11-23-2018, 10:17 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Lookin' good! Those wheels look familiar. Did you stop at the Tree House?
Ha! Thanks for the wheels Al, they’ve served me well.

The Tree House is awesome, but Wormtown Brewery in Worcester got the nod this trip. There are so many great Massachusetts breweries And Jack’s Abbey is just a stone’s throw from Eurotech in Framingham. I think I need another oil change. :big-gulp
Old 12-18-2018, 10:13 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

I'm making ready for the suspension and brake overhaul. I took advantage of Black Friday and ordered some more bits from Sunset. Now I'm down another rabbit stripping and painting a set of 993 brakes that I pulled off my 993 C2S last winter. The brakes only have about 75,000 miles on them, but the car was heavily tracked. In addition to stripping and repainting I am installing all new Brembo dust boots and seals. I ordered the seals from Hoerr Racing Products for about $380.00. The brakes will be painted red.

It's tedious work, but with a little TLC the brakes will be like new. After cleaning the brakes with brake cleaner, it's time to remove the spring plates. PB Blaster and a good wrap with a hammer loosened all the torx screws. The torx screws were in such bad shape that I went down a size on the torx bit for the first few turns.

Next step is stripping the paint. I've had good luck using Aircraft Paint Remover. Media blasting is quicker, but you can use the paint remover and still keep all the seals intact. But after 70,000 miles, replacing all the seals is the right way to do the job. Pistons don't typically need to be replaced, but I will check the pistons or any obvious damage. I did nick a few of the pistons while removing the torx screws - doh.

I also tried to get the fans working again after removing the blower motor. The A/C worked fine all summer, but the fans are inoperable when the temperature control goes above ten. I've tried the jumper method and the relay method, both to no avail. The heat in the cabin has been OK despite the inoperable fans, and it's been darn cold here. https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-solution.html

More bits from Sunset

993 brakes need some TLC

Track rash

torx screws were a mess, and note the torn seal

Painters tape to protect the seals
Old 12-18-2018, 10:17 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Old 12-18-2018, 10:21 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Relay method - but fans inoperable

jumper method - and fans are still inoperable...
Old 12-22-2018, 01:13 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

The MCS 2 ways arrived today. It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:35 AM
Meatball964
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

You sir, don't mess around! Love the MCS 2 ways on my 993....sublime. I'm tempted to order a set for my 964, but I think I'll stick w/my Bilstein HD's
for now. Are you installing yourself ? Post pics if so...
Old 12-22-2018, 10:01 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by S2K993
You sir, don't mess around! Love the MCS 2 ways on my 993....sublime. I'm tempted to order a set for my 964, but I think I'll stick w/my Bilstein HD's
for now. Are you installing yourself ? Post pics if so...
Thank you Sir. Sublime is the perfect description. I also run with MCS 2 ways on my 993. It instantly shaved 3 to 4 seconds off my Autocross and lap times. Bill Pfister at Eurotech will do the install and corner balance, again. 993 suspension install
Old 12-22-2018, 02:38 PM
Santa Cruz Red
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Love the build... what springs do you plan on running?
Old 12-22-2018, 05:09 PM
LPMM
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman
Relay method - but fans inoperable
jumper method - and fans are still inoperable...
I have the relay method and my fans only work when the temp is on either the lowest or the highest setting. If the temp **** is somewhere in between, the fans do not work. Perhaps you have the same behavior?
Old 12-23-2018, 10:29 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Santa Cruz Red
Love the build... what springs do you plan on running?
600/800 for the springs, but the car will hopefully be down to about a 2,500 lb. fighting weight.

Originally Posted by LPMM
I have the relay method and my fans only work when the temp is on either the lowest or the highest setting. If the temp **** is somewhere in between, the fans do not work. Perhaps you have the same behavior?
i have the common 10 degreee symptom. The fans cut out when you turn the temperature dial above 10. The fans do not kick back at on with temp at the highest setting. That would be nice. Thankfully the car stays pretty warm even in sub freezing temperatures, so long as you’re rolling.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:23 PM
pitts12driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would you do me a favor please and measure the overall length of the dampers? I bought a set of the MCS (2-way, non-remote) for my 964 and they are so much shorter than the Bilsteins I removed that I am skeptical that they are correct! MCS says yes, and I chose the same spring rates as you. Since the body is out getting paint, I have no way to mock up the suspension to put my mind at ease!!
Old 12-24-2018, 07:06 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pitts12driver
Would you do me a favor please and measure the overall length of the dampers? I bought a set of the MCS (2-way, non-remote) for my 964 and they are so much shorter than the Bilsteins I removed that I am skeptical that they are correct! MCS says yes, and I chose the same spring rates as you. Since the body is out getting paint, I have no way to mock up the suspension to put my mind at ease!!
Is

Ok, I pulled the box back out of the basement to take a few pics. Hope these photos help out your mind at ease. These are the longer 964 street version.

Rear

Front
Old 12-25-2018, 02:36 AM
pitts12driver
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks tons! Merry Xmas
Old 12-26-2018, 10:13 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Merry Christmas!

I took advantage of some spare time yesterday to focus on refurbishing the 993 brake calipers. I finished the stripping and sanding, and pulled the pistons out. And cleaned the calipers about a thousand times.

I had already managed to pull the pistons off one of the calipers last weekend. It didn’t go smoothly. Truth be told, I wasn’t really planning on removing the pistons. I was merely trying to blow the brake fluid out when one of the pistons went shooting across the garage. Doh. So began my inadvertent trial run. It was easy enough to get two, and sometimes even three of the pistons out, but getting all four to come out at once was a PIA. I resorted to a puller to get the fourth piston out, and hacked the crap out of the inside of the piston Don’t use a puller to remove the piston! Only pull the pistons out by hand.

So I reached out to my trusted Indy, Bill Pfister over at Eurotech. Bill simply told me to get some small c clamps. Brilliant. The c clamps allow you to align the boards and hold them steady for a precise “pop”. And by the way, the pistons do pop out with some force and will take your finger off if you’re not careful. One of the pine boards I used snapped in half from the force of the piston blowing out.

Still some prep work left, but almost ready to lay some paint down.

How not to remove the pistons. Don’t use a puller like I did for upper right. Blow them out sufficiently so you can remove them by hand. Doh

Don’t get your fingers in the way. Note how the force of the pistons popping chopped this pine board in half.

C clamps make this a much easier job.

With the right width board correctly fixed in place the pistons will pull right out by hand

Progress...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig