Sponsored by:

Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 06:51 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by -nick
Wowzer! It's going to be an autocross battle this year. I've probably got +400lbs on you, but a bit more driving experience. As long as one of us starts beating the gt3/4 crowd, that's all that matters Beautiful welding work!
I'm hoping to at least keep in your rear view mirror, or Nataly's. You were on fire last season. The weight reduction will help, but it's the upcoming suspension overhaul that just may prove to be the equalizer. Driving on the original 30 year old stock suspension feels like
last summer. Thanks for shooting that video by the way. It's very telling watching the front end of the car lift up 3" off acceleration. That can't be helping the handling. MSC 2 ways with BBI uprights and a refreshed suspension will drop lap times by 2 to 3 seconds, even for a blind guy like me. Wilbur may even give Levtron's 993 some competition this year. He was also in top form last season. Heck with the right track layout, we just might start beating the GT3/4 crowd.

And yes, I couldn't be more pleased with the final outcome of the roll bar, thank you. Just 23 pounds, and the welds are first rate. Bill Pfister is the man. I'd like to do this with my 993 C2S eventually, but I will need stick to a bolt in version. But I'm very happy that I opted to weld in the bar for Wilbur.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:32 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

With the Fenn Lane panel buttoned down, the new roll bar installed, and a carbon fiber bonnet, it’s time to say goodbye to Eurotech and start the next chapter laying down some paint. I had reached out last Fall to a small paint shop in New Hampshire. We had discussed having them install the Fenn Lane panel, but they didn’t seem to be very enthused about the project. But these guys are supposed to be solid painters, so it’s off to New Hampshire for some paint. Plan is to paint the roof, the bonnet, the headlight trim rings, and a new pair of cult werk ducts.

The glass is still out (paint ready), so we trailed the car to the paint shop. My buddy Felipe trailed the car with his *******’’ Wagon for a few beers and some gas money. It was one heck of a ride to New Hampshire. I’ve never seen the 964 take corners like that, and it was on a trailer!

We made it safely over the border into Seabrook New Hampshire. New Hampshire has just 15 miles of coast line. It’s shortest coastline of any US coastal state, yet they planted a nuclear power facilty there. Live free or die, go figure. I prefer the New Hampshire Lakes Region set in the White Mountains. Lake Winnepesauke, Squam Lake (Golden Pond for you Henry Fonds fans).

Anyway It was getting dark when we arrived, but the shop was busy laying down some primer on an old 911. Paint was blasting out of the exhaust vent out of the rear of the building. There was a track ready 914 up on a lift. It belongs to the owner. Looks like we found the right paint shop.

They were none too happy about the Fenn Lane panel. These guys are craftsmen, and wanted a fashioned metal panel that they could work with. The Fenn Lane panel has a lip on the underside that makes bending the metal pretty much impossible. I took a beating for the mig welding and the panel, and we arm-wrestled over how much mud they would lay down. The shop owner has arms like Popeye, and I clearly lost that battle. To do the job correctly, the whole roof skin needs to be replaced. For Wilbur, however, that money is better spent on the new suspension. Wilbur is no track queen.

Leaving Eurotech for the next chapter

Final fitment of bonnet prttty good

Not perfect, but close

Last edited by Foxman; 04-06-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:36 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

The Shagin’ Wahon

Off to New Hampshire

An older 911 at the shop getting some TLC
Old 04-06-2019, 09:04 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

[QUOTE=Foxman;15754604]. My buddy Felipe trailed the car with his *******’’ Wagon for a few beers and some gas money. It was one heck of a ride to New Hampshire. I’ve never seen the 964 take corners like that, and it was on a trailer!

We we made it safely over the border into Seabrook New Hampshire.

[QUOTE]

LOL! - For those who don't know Fhilpe he is all go go go, no moss under his wheels . . . . :-)
Old 04-06-2019, 03:56 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=Cemoto;15754733][QUOTE=Foxman;15754604]. My buddy Felipe trailed the car with his *******’’ Wagon for a few beers and some gas money. It was one heck of a ride to New Hampshire. I’ve never seen the 964 take corners like that, and it was on a trailer!

We we made it safely over the border into Seabrook New Hampshire.

LOL! - For those who don't know Fhilpe he is all go go go, no moss under his wheels . . . . :-)
Ha! No moss indeed! Felipe picked up a heavily tracked 964 RS America last year and drove the snot out of the car all summer.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:45 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

It’s a beautiful Saturday, and I took a quick ride up to New Hampshire to visit the patient. Wilbur is clearly in good hands, and the work is well underway.

With the perimeter of the panel filled, they’re beginning to lay down some filler to level things out. Running my hand along the roof (should have used a glove, doh), it’s clear that there’s some leveling to be done. But the work is progressing nicely, and the fill appears to be getting applied judiciously. It’s nice to have the car with an enthusiast. The owner of the shop is a PCA member and tracks a 914 with a 964 3.8 engine. You can see thr 914 in one of the photos below. Pretty cool.

The scene upon arrival

Note the 914 in the background

Funny, I thought the template went from side to side.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:21 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

I drove up to New Hampshire this afternoon to see how the car is progressing. I brought along the old front windshield and a new window seal. The plan is to drive the car back home (no trailer), and install the remaining glass after the interior is painted (again).

The car is coming along very nicely. After three rounds of priming and block sanding, the roof looks near perfect. The Fenn Lane template also lines up perfectly. The owner of the shop, Mike, is doing all of the work himself. He clearly takes pride in his work, and it shows. No one will ever see under the rear window seal, but all the glue was properly removed (glue that I should have removed before bringing the car here, doh). Rubbing compound was the final step, and she’s just about ready for fresh paint.

Once the roof roof is painted, the new carbon fiber bonnet, turbo scoops and headlight rings will get some paint. The bonnet needs some adjuting. Mike explains the methodology. Pretty cool watching this all come together.

After three rounds of priming and block sanding

The roof is shaping up nicely, and it’s rock solid

The Fenn Lane template lines up perfectly
Old 04-13-2019, 11:27 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Perhaps jealous of the attention the 964 was getting, the 914 peed some oil on Wilbur’s bonnet.

The indignity

A quick tutorial on how the tape will be applied and removed in effort to avoid any runs.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:31 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

With the roof prep done, the car is unwrapped

Time to timeturn our attention to the new carbon fiber bonnet

Mike lays a piece of tape down to show how the bonnet will get fitted.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:41 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Goof Off slowly removes the last of the year old German horse glue.

Fifteen minutes of Goof Off and compounding and the rear window area is sparkling clean and ready for fresh paint!
Old 04-14-2019, 01:22 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

That roof line is perfect, truly artwork. I can’t wait to see the finished product and I’m sure you’re even more anxious with the good weather upon you.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:54 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That roof line is perfect, truly artwork. I can’t wait to see the finished product and I’m sure you’re even more anxious with the good weather upon you.
Thanks Marine Blue. I’m really happy with the workmanship, and the roof is tight as a drum! It’s nice to find a craftsman who takes pride in his work.

There’s still lots of work to be done (interior respray and suspension rebuild) so I’ve been dusting off the 993. My 993 has been lying idle since last August when the tires wore out at Palmer Motorsports. Fresh RE 71R’s will be going on next weekend, and the 993 will be on track duty until the 964 is ready.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:57 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Block sanding tool, attention to the details
Old 04-14-2019, 05:15 PM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 228 Posts

Looks great! Planning on the sunroof delete as well - always some good tidbits in these threads. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:48 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff33702
Looks great! Planning on the sunroof delete as well - always some good tidbits in these threads. Thanks for posting.
Thank you Sir!

This isn’t a fast moving thread by any means, but I do hope these posts are of some use for others crazy enough to tread down this path.

Quick Reply: Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig