Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 07:47 PM
GDOG8
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great stuff and beautiful car. You are NOT helping me to resist the ducktail urge��

Thanks for sharing.

-G
Old 03-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Great work jim, those headlights look great. Love all the little details and love it how I spot a random craft beer in the occasional photo
Old 03-19-2018, 11:55 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 492 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by GDOG8
Great stuff and beautiful car. You are NOT helping me to resist the ducktail urge��

Thanks for sharing.

-G
Thanks GDOG8,

The duck tail sucked me in as well. And the RS carpet, and the RS door cards. And especially the sound. The secondary muffler delete and cat by-pass make the car sound like a Chris Craft. It seemed like half the work was already done on the car. The hook was set.

Originally Posted by Dingo
Great work jim, those headlights look great. Love all the little details and love it how I spot a random craft beer in the occasional photo
Thanks Dingo,

The work you've been doing on your car in the "My 964" thread were inspirational for this thread.

We've got some great craft beers here in New England. The refrigerator is kept well-stocked.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:08 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Foxman
Thanks Dingo,

The work you've been doing on your car in the "My 964" thread were inspirational for this thread.

We've got some great craft beers here in New England. The refrigerator is kept well-stocked.
That's always nice to hear! Thanks Mate, unfortunately my budget has put a premature stop to further work for now Haha!

I love a good craft beer, however after 15 years of drinking I have finally worked out I don't have an "off switch" so I havnt had a drink in 11 months as of 4 days ago!

Keep up the good work, always enjoy your posts
Old 03-20-2018, 12:37 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

The autocrosses revealed a few more weaknesses. And not just the cone I hit at the end of that clip above. Shifting into second gear under load was a challenge, and frequently left the car just rolling in neutral while second gear refused to slot into gear. The transmission mount appeared to be shot. The steering also felt a bit squishy, and felt vague at times when. So just before Christmas I ordered a Rothsport steering rack brace, poly steering rack bushings, a new transmission mount, and a a set of the F1 transmission mount inserts (sport hardness).

Rothsport steering rack brace , and poly bushings

The two front blower fans both had blown bearings, and were growing louder by the day. So I picked up two new blower motors and left the car with Bill Pfister at Eurotech for the Holiday to complete the installs. The Rothsport steering rack brace and the F1 inserts combined with a new transmission mount were transformative. And the new blowers left he cabin relatively quiet for a change.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:52 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Here's an image from F1 of the transmission mount inserts. The new transmission mount and the inserts combined really tightened things up, and shifting under load is no longer an issue.

F1 Transmission Mount Inserts (image courtesy F1)
Old 03-20-2018, 01:02 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Weekend treks out to the Berkshires were a regular occurrence, and the miles quickly added up. Three Brad Penn oil changes in just five months. The car is a driver, and a great one at that.

Sylvester's Restaurant, Springfield, MA

Driving through the Berkshires

The Nite Owl Tattoo Parlor, Halloween
Old 03-20-2018, 01:13 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

With the Steve Wong Chip installed, and Rothsport steering rack and new transmission mount and inserts, I'm beginning to think the car has potential. But Wilbur is a pig, and he needs to lose weight.

Removing the rear blower was the first order of business. It was great to free up some space back there, but the weight savings of about 5 lbs. was negligible.

Only about 5 lbs. net savings here when you add back the duct bypass

Weight savings here also negligible, but it sure sounds better

Engine bay simplified with Duct Bypass and RS Fan Hub
Old 03-20-2018, 01:42 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

And the weight loss program was underway. Here's a list of what's been removed from the car to date:

6.5 lbs. - Right front footwell insulation
.5 lbs. - Bumperettes
2.6 lbs. - Tire Pump Kit
6.75 lbs. - Flag Mirrors
6.5 lbs. - Frunk Carpet
36 lbs.- Spare Tire and Jack
10.5 lbs. - RS Door Panels net savings
1.75 lbs. - Sun Visors
21.8 lbs. - secondary muffler delete
6 lbs - FVD Cat ByPas
15.5 lbs. - Rear Seats
4.5 lbs. - Rear Seat Belts
4.5 lbs. - Engine Undertray
2.6 lbs. - Front Undertray
4.0 lbs. - Momo Wheel
.5 lbs. - License Plate Frame
3.3 lbs. - Fog Lights (3.8 lbs.) add back RS Ducts (.5 lb.)
10.0 lbs. - Rear deck with speakers
5.5 lbs. - Rear Quarter Panels
45 `lbs. - insulation, rubber
13.75 lbs. - Lower Dash Delete
6.5 lbs. - Passenger airbag (.75 lbs.), add back Rennline airbag cover (.29 lbs.)
6.5 lbs. - Rear Blower Motor
12 lbs. - front windhshield washer tank
3.5 lbs. - Centrer Console Hardware, Boots, Brackets
1.25 lbs. - Two front corner trim pieces
3.6 lbs. - Blaupunkt head unit (4 lbs.), add back Rennline face plate (.375 lbs.)
1.75 lbs. - Amplifier (20W)
6.25 lbs. - RS foor mats, Lloyd's mats, Rennline floor boards
.5 lbs. - wiring
.75 lbs. - Cruise Control Module
.5 lbs. - MSDS Filter
4.25 lbs. - Front Speakers
.5 lb - 4' stereo cable
Old 03-20-2018, 03:44 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Engine bay simplified with Duct Bypass and RS Fan Hub
Love a tidy engine bay!
The cut airbox sounds awesome, I kind of regret putting my pod filter on now as it sounds no where near as Good, but I like how tidy the bay looks.

Few questions, is the blower bypass the Porsche part? And does it fit straight on? I've done many searches and everyone seems to have had a different experience. I just really hate the look of the cf part.

Also, as you have probably seen, my engine fan is about to fall apart, so while I'm replacing it Id like to the single belt conversion. Do you just buy the top bit and leave the two spare pulleys on the crank?

Sorry for all the questions!
The following users liked this post:
lnirenberg (11-13-2019)
Old 03-20-2018, 05:36 AM
robt964
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

> I just really hate the look of the cf part.

On these cars yes, I'd agree. Just rub it back and spray satin black. That's all I did.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:17 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by robt964
> I just really hate the look of the cf part.

On these cars yes, I'd agree. Just rub it back and spray satin black. That's all I did.
Hi Rob, I'd thought of this but wasn't sure it would hold up as well as just black plastic. I know you are a perfectionist though so it must be ok!
Old 03-20-2018, 08:22 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Love a tidy engine bay!
The cut airbox sounds awesome, I kind of regret putting my pod filter on now as it sounds no where near as Good, but I like how tidy the bay looks.

Few questions, is the blower bypass the Porsche part? And does it fit straight on? I've done many searches and everyone seems to have had a different experience. I just really hate the look of the cf part.

Also, as you have probably seen, my engine fan is about to fall apart, so while I'm replacing it Id like to the single belt conversion. Do you just buy the top bit and leave the two spare pulleys on the crank?

Hey Dingo,

Nice to know someone’s reading this thread.

Torally agree with you on CF in the engine bay. The Porsche RS Duct Bypass is OEM and looks proper in the bay. I will find the part numbers for you this evening. It was plug and play (unlike my 993 which requires a new plenum), but you also need to plug in a module to keep the heater working properly. Plenty of hot air.

The RS belt doesn’t require any pulley changes, but eventually you can eliminate the extra lower pulley if you like. Eliminating the extra belt enables you to do a belt change in half the time, and it frees up the engine bay.

All the best!

Jim
Old 03-20-2018, 10:21 AM
sooner964
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Love a tidy engine bay!

Hey Dingo,

I think this is the piece you are looking for. It is the Porsche OEM hot air elbow for the RS / Cup models in ABS plastic, p/n 993-211-941-00. Much nicer than the carbon fiber pieces. Also, there are many complaints about the fitment of the cf pieces. As Foxman said, there are a few things you have to do in terms of tricking the HVAC system to think the rear blower is still in place, but there are many examples of this on the forum. Search for something along the likes of "heater blower bypass". There are a few different ways to do it. I tried most of them and never got any of them to work, but it seems I'm in the small minority. I ultimately decided that, although I loved how much it cleaned up the engine bay having the bypass installed, I really preferred having a fully functional HVAC system. Living in Houston, you don't need heat often, but with the humidity, you definitely want to be able to defog your windows! Hope that helps a bit.

Foxman, yep, we are reading it, and your car is looking great!! Keep up the documentation! Someday I'll get around to writing up all about mine...
Old 03-20-2018, 09:10 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Hey Dingo,

Nice to know someone’s reading this thread.

Torally agree with you on CF in the engine bay. The Porsche RS Duct Bypass is OEM and looks proper in the bay. I will find the part numbers for you this evening. It was plug and play (unlike my 993 which requires a new plenum), but you also need to plug in a module to keep the heater working properly. Plenty of hot air.

The RS belt doesn’t require any pulley changes, but eventually you can eliminate the extra lower pulley if you like. Eliminating the extra belt enables you to do a belt change in half the time, and it frees up the engine bay.

All the best!

Jim
Always reading! Not sure if I annoy everyone by commenting on everything or if they love it haha

Yeah definately, cf is a bit too space age for me! Yeah confirm the part no you used that would be good, I'll find out about the module when the time comes.

Oh that's good on the pulley, I've been looking at the rennline one, will grab one when I'm back at work.

cheers!

Quick Reply: Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig