Sponsored by:

Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 02:52 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 491 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingo
Great stuff as always! Love reading your posts. So please explain more about the cone filter, and where did you get the washers for the floorboards? Are they the rennline ones? Looking forward to seeing photos from your driving event
Thanks Dean, slow but steady progress.

The cone filter that both you and I are running with looks neat and clean, but it sits up too high in the engine bay where the heat rises. The stock air box is the best application, and even better if you can for r some fresh air in there. More on that later.

Yes, the sunken washers are from Rennline. They come with the hardware package for their track mats along with the riv nuts. I’m apparently riv nut challenged batting only 300.

Will take some photos at the PCA NCR Autocross.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:13 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxman

Thanks Dean, slow but steady progress.

The cone filter that both you and I are running with looks neat and clean, but it sits up too high in the engine bay where the heat rises. The stock air box is the best application, and even better if you can for r some fresh air in there. More on that later.

Yes, the sunken washers are from Rennline. They come with the hardware package for their track mats along with the riv nuts. I’m apparently riv nut challenged batting only 300.

Will take some photos at the PCA NCR Autocross.
All of my research told me you can't beat the stock airbox but my stubbornness told me to do it anyway! Keen to see what you Do, I think I'll put the airbox back on this weekend, I miss the sound!

might have to put the hardware package on the Christmas list
Old 09-29-2018, 01:56 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Well done your interior looks mint,
I am scare to look under my carpets now, but I guess its got to be done soon .
same thing on mine I have RS carpets with console delete, but most insulating mats are still in, specially at the back.
I am thinking creating something with the front all around the pedal box painted and the sides and rear with carpets.
What makes me mad is all those useless wires from the seats, wiper, windscreen heat and now even more as I am fitting a fixed spoiler ,
did you delete the useless wires and reduce the loom ?
Old 09-29-2018, 04:53 PM
964Luftballoon
Pro

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Love the progress thus far! Congrats on getting the motor started after it sitting for some time.

Apologies in advance for the newbie question but is it a must to put the foam padding back? I'm thinking of just removing the foam and just replace the carpet. I plan to respray my car a different porsche color at some point so I figure less hassle of dealing with it at a later date
Old 09-29-2018, 05:57 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kos11-12
Well done your interior looks mint,
I am scare to look under my carpets now, but I guess its got to be done soon .
same thing on mine I have RS carpets with console delete, but most insulating mats are still in, specially at the back.
I am thinking creating something with the front all around the pedal box painted and the sides and rear with carpets.
What makes me mad is all those useless wires from the seats, wiper, windscreen heat and now even more as I am fitting a fixed spoiler ,
did you delete the useless wires and reduce the loom ?
Ha! If you learn one thing from this thread, steel yourself before looking under the carpet. Wilbur had a very nice RS carpet installed, but they left the stock insulation and the rust lurking underneath. Thankfully I discovered the problem before it was too late.

Regarding the loom, I left most of the stock wiring (except the stereo wiring), and just tidied things up a bit. The car won’t be returned to stock on my watch, but I didn’t want to so any irreversible damage.

I like Ike your concept leaving the front bare, and insulating and carpeting the rear. The sound from the engine bay carries right through the fire wall. I installed dynamat lite and MLV under an RS carpet in my 993, and it’s incredibly quiet in the cabin now.
Old 09-29-2018, 06:04 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Infinite1
Love the progress thus far! Congrats on getting the motor started after it sitting for some time.

Apologies in advance for the newbie question but is it a must to put the foam padding back? I'm thinking of just removing the foam and just replace the carpet. I plan to respray my car a different porsche color at some point so I figure less hassle of dealing with it at a later date
Infinite1, good to have you here on the Forum. The only foolish question is the one not asked.

It’s not a must to have insulation under the carpet. The RS came bare bones with a thin carpet and no insulation. If you want the car quiet, then go with Dynamat and MLV. See my RS carpet install thread on the 993 Forum for details. And post pics!
Old 09-29-2018, 09:40 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Hey Jim, I notice you have a battery tender Jr. How do you find it? Do you keep it hooked up all the time? Asking as they are advertised here locally cheap. My battery is always flat as never get the time to drive it, and it's becoming a chore to get the car out.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:22 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dingo
Hey Jim, I notice you have a battery tender Jr. How do you find it? Do you keep it hooked up all the time? Asking as they are advertised here locally cheap. My battery is always flat as never get the time to drive it, and it's becoming a chore to get the car out.
Hi Dean,

The Battery Tender Jr. is a great choice. It's a bit slower charging than the standard Battery Tender, but the Junior tender is ideal both for acid and lithium batteries. I run wth a Voltphreaks lithium battery in my 993 (and soon in the 964), so the Battery Tender Junior was the perfect choice. The Junior is a two stage charger that cuts out when the battery reaches 14.4 VC, and re-engages at 12.6 VC. It's spark proof, has reverse polarity protection, and comes with a 12' cord. Best of all, it's cheap!
Old 09-30-2018, 03:59 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Well thanks to my mechanic, Bill P, the 964 was back out on the deck yesterday for an Autocross event at Fort Devens. I swapped out the winter wheels, installed a Bray Kruase harness bar, and made ready for the shake down cruise.

I reached out to PCA's North Country Region Chapter to let them know I was bringing the 964. I confirmed that the car was all stock with the original 30 year suspension, but noted /that the interior was stripped. The interior strip-own earned Wilbur a spot on the Porsche Race Class. As the Registrar put it, "Just don't compare your PAX time with anyone. It will hurt." Wilbur disregarded the admonition, and was excited to be ranked in the race class...

The shake down started on the ride out on Route 2 heading west. A quick bake test at a red light, and the three threaded plates for the passenger seat lock nuts went flying toward the passenger footwell. Doh. But aside from taping a few lines down, the car was ready for AX duty. I was elated to have the car running AX again, and the weight loss was noticeable as the car felt a bit quicker out of the gate. But things went a bit sideways as the cones kept coming. The suspension on the car is just spent, and the car felt ,ore like a boat at time than a track car. It was challenging to keep the car under control, and several times I lost that challenge. The last run of the morning ended with what was without a doubt the most violent 720 degree spin I have ever experienced. The Tillet seats proved their worth, as I remained calmly fixed in my seat with both feet in as the world spun about for a bit. I kind of forgot just how loose the suspension was. I was planning on dropping the engine this Winter, but there are just the usual drips and I think the suspension is now the first priority.

All in all it was a great day, and the car performed admirably with all things considered

Swapped the winter wheels off for the summer wheels with fresh RE 71R's (and a wheels off cleaning for the winter wheels)

The summer wheels finally back on in late September

Bray Krause harness bar installed in a snap. Wifey held one end while I bolted in.

I took the 993 out to Palmer last Thursday. The RE 71 R's are toast after less than three months, but what a great three months!

Making way into Fort Devens in Ayer Massachusetts. The Massachusetts State Police are kind enough to let us train here, but don't go near their cars!

The AM line-up for inspection
Old 09-30-2018, 04:01 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Lots of great cars, old

and new

Auto Cross for a family of four
Old 09-30-2018, 04:06 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Wilbur proudly stationed next to a GT3

That GT# is worth a closer look

Making ready to go

Here comes Nick

Nick had one of the fastest times of the day ion his 964, congrats Nick!

Wilbur parked at Work Station Two
Old 09-30-2018, 04:09 PM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Here's a quick video that Nick was kind enough to take at the start line. Note how the front end rises nearly to 3" as the car accelerates. Time for a new suspension!

Old 09-30-2018, 06:47 PM
CBA
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing and car is lookin good. Keep it up.
Old 09-30-2018, 09:59 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Foxman
Hi Dean,

The Battery Tender Jr. is a great choice. It's a bit slower charging than the standard Battery Tender, but the Junior tender is ideal both for acid and lithium batteries. I run wth a Voltphreaks lithium battery in my 993 (and soon in the 964), so the Battery Tender Junior was the perfect choice. The Junior is a two stage charger that cuts out when the battery reaches 14.4 VC, and re-engages at 12.6 VC. It's spark proof, has reverse polarity protection, and comes with a 12' cord. Best of all, it's cheap!
Sold! Yes one feature I like is that if I get one of those fancy lightweight battery down the track I can still use it. I'd like to just be able to leave the car hooked up and forget about it. I'll have to get one asap ready for summer

Great read and pics on your event.
Old 10-01-2018, 12:35 AM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Wow! Outstanding work sir!

I just read this thread from front to back and had no idea you were doing this . . . Congrats!

Bring it on out someday.

Al

Quick Reply: Chronicling the restoration and rebuild of Wilbur, the Pig