Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Xpel or other clear bra pattern for 964 turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2018, 05:34 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts
Post Xpel or other clear bra pattern for 964 turbo?

Hi - has anyone had a pattern made? Xpel says they don't have a pattern in the mother system for my car (94 964 turbo)...maybe another company already has a pattern.

thanks
Old 03-14-2018, 06:28 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by wicks
Hi - has anyone had a pattern made? Xpel says they don't have a pattern in the mother system for my car (94 964 turbo)...maybe another company already has a pattern.

thanks
Get it custom cut so you don't see any of the lines from the clear bra. I have a pre-cut kit on my GT3 from XPEL and hate that you can see the clear bra lines. The front end of my 964 C2 is getting a custom clear bra using Suntek in a few weeks.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:53 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Odd that the shop didn't offer that. Maybe ones that only know how to work from a cut pattern...
Old 03-14-2018, 08:11 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Custom cut is the only way to go. Go to a better shop.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:00 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

The guys the dealer used seem like real pros, but won't cut one on, they're scared to get a blade anywhere near the car. Seems one would use a letter opener style device to cut, which has no exposed blade...
Old 03-15-2018, 10:09 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The guys the dealer used seem like real pros, but won't cut one on, they're scared to get a blade anywhere near the car. Seems one would use a letter opener style device to cut, which has no exposed blade...
If they are pros they wouldn't be concerned. Find a better shop..
Old 03-15-2018, 10:13 PM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Cutting ppf on a car is an art and requires a very high level of precision and a verrrry different workflow than that seen at dealerships. Much like bodywork and paint work there's a difference in collision repair and high end restorations, the same can be said for ppf and high level correction and detailing work.

If you are in the North East (CT, NY) area let me know and I can walk you through some of our processes and options. Even if you are located outside of this area, let me know where you are and what you are looking for, I may have an associate in the industry that I trust and can recommend in your area.

Cheers,

David
Old 03-17-2018, 06:02 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Oh thanks so much. Would love a recco. Car is in Houston now, and will be going to Scottsdale next (Phoenix)...
Old 03-17-2018, 06:11 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Oh thanks so much. Would love a recco. Car is in Houston now, and will be going to Scottsdale next (Phoenix)...
I use Mykodesign on my cars. They are in Southern California but travel to do clear bra install. They are coming to the San Francisco Bay Area to do my 964.

You can contact them to see if they could do the work while your car is in AZ.

http://www.mykodesigns.com/
Old 03-17-2018, 06:14 PM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk to my friend Kevin at Bespoke paint protection in Cedar Park, TX. He is amazing and used to install for me. Tell him David from Butzi Gear sent you. You will not be disappointed.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:02 PM
XPEL
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Say Yes to PPF

thanks
Hello,

We have patterns in our software for a 94 Turbo - XPEL Pre-Cut Kit 1994 Turbo.

As already mentioned in the thread, another option would be to do a custom installation. Either method is fine, but a custom cut installation requires much more experience since it's much more blade time with your paint. For a car like that, we would recommend doing the full front and rocker panel areas to get maximum protection on the high-impact areas.

Picking an installer is very important. You'll want to narrow your search down to a few and then go to their facilities in person if you can. Or ask to see pictures of their work. This will let you gauge their workmanship, and also their customer service quality.

In the links below you'll find available installers in both Houston and Scottsdale.

XPEL Installers in Houston

XPEL Installers in Phoenix

Hope this info helps. Let us know if we can answer any other questions.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:00 PM
Derek911
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was just about to say that Expel has precut patterns because I have a precut pattern on my non turbo 91’ 964, but I see that Xpel responded.
The bra cover is sufficient, it covers to just above the emblem and the area below the headlights, but I would recommend half precut and half custom. I recommend using the precut on the front bumper and custom wrap the entire hood. The fenders don’t get much if any damage from road rash but the bumper and hood need protection.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:46 PM
wicks
Rennlist Member

Thanks Xpel - so the Houston team found the pattern, but we were left with a couple of issues:

- The glue is tough on old paint - I am getting a warning that the film being applied to older paint can be "nonremoveable", in that it will get into the paint and not be able to be cleared off(out) later. This of course, makes Xpel a non-starter for me, unless there is a solution. I of course have a car here with 23 year old single stage paint on it, albeit in good condition, and can't put it ask risk of becoming discolored. Possible solutions:
- Lightly polish the paint first (like with last stage polish and NO machines involved) - how much would this help
- Put something in between, like wax

- The pattern may be "old" and thus not fit very well using the new film. My knee-jerk reaction on this would be to have the Houston team 1) print out and apply the "old" pattern. If it doesn't fit, 2) Fix the "old" pattern. 3) Apply the fixed pattern to the car. Then tell the world that you now have a current and correct 964 Turbo pattern.

Quick Reply: Xpel or other clear bra pattern for 964 turbo?