Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hagerty wants to total my 964, now I can't afford another one. Help!

Old 03-15-2018, 10:30 PM
misterbeverlyhills
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 132 Posts

If they total it, they need to buy you this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1990-Porsch...hanF5O&vxp=mtr
Old 03-15-2018, 11:05 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

911jetta: sorry to hear about your accident. Something similar happened to me. I got GEICO to come up about 50% from their original settlement offer by supplying comps and details on the mods done to my car, bought it back from them for around $10k and used the check they gave me to have the car repaired to better than it was before the accident condition using used (but very nice) parts from some West Coast Porsche recyclers that I found on eBay. For reference, the appraiser stopped at $30k (assuming new parts from Porsche) before declaring the car totaled, but the actual parts and labor cost totaled about $20k. The key is finding a quality body shop willing to work with you and doing the leg work to track down the parts. I used the body shop that is used by the local Ferrari and Lamborghini dealers. Best of luck!
Old 03-15-2018, 11:45 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I used to work in insurance claims (albeit in Canada many years ago).

Your contract is with your insurer. Claim from them. DO NOT negotiate with or contact the other person's company at all, that can jeopardise your claim with your company. What your company does to recover monies from the other company is their business.

If you feel you are being screwed then spend some money on legal advice. The advice will be cheap and you can decide whether to use the lawyers more fully.

Be brave, relax. No matter how much you love the car, it's only a car and can be repaired or replaced.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:04 AM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Jetta - wholly crap that sucks all the way around. You have been a fixture for me here and had counted on hitting the roads in NC with you if and when my car ever gets out of the restoration shop (4+ years now sitting there) It is awesome how this community comes together for one and another. If cobalt is serious about being able to get your car fixed right up near him I would throw in some $$$ to get it transported up there and am sure others would help out. I wish I could do more and can only offer my empathy as dealing with those who are looking to short change truly sucks.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:03 AM
WRXdriver
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 28 Posts

I’m glad you’re physically okay. I spent many hours lurking here on 964 forum before ultimately buying a 993, and still visit frequently. Love you car and appreciate your contributions. Obviously there’s a place for the cold objective view here, but certain specific cars are worth more to their owners then a spreadsheet would suggest. I think yours is one of those and if you want to keep it there must be a way. Cobalts offer is very intriguing. Good luck!
Old 03-16-2018, 10:31 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Again, thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by K964
Can Road Scholars help out? I now have some pretty good connections there. Please let me know if I can help out.

Have been on the phone with Cam. He gave me some great advice.
Originally Posted by cobalt
I wish you were closer. I know I can have that fixed for 1/3 to 1/2 the quoted price.
I would love to get my car up to you. Are you crazy. You are a wizard and would go through this thing and stop nothing short of perfection. I have seen your work over the years. I know if I could through extra money at it you would build a really smart next-level road warrior too. Dreams.

That said, it doesn't seem to be worth it for this car...
I finally had a conversation with the shop and there's a crushed frame rail, and the damage is in a bad spot. He definitely thinks they'll find more problems once they get started.

Originally Posted by Navaros911
...And if you keep walking you will get to your destination finally.
Thanks for your kinds words. I was numb, but now slowly moving my feet.

Originally Posted by GregWormald
I used to work in insurance claims (albeit in Canada many years ago).

Your contract is with your insurer. Claim from them. DO NOT negotiate with or contact the other person's company at all, that can jeopardise your claim with your company. What your company does to recover monies from the other company is their business.
Thanks for your advise. That's the dance I'm learning to do right now. I'm probably still to focused on getting a good settlement from Hagerty.
State Farm is coming up to speed. I somehow don't see them doing more that writing a check for my agreed value (38), which is nice but still low.

Seems like the next important step is to get another appraisal to show evidence of a higher value.
Continue to send them comps.

Originally Posted by Nylasurf
Jetta - wholly crap that sucks all the way around. You have been a fixture for me here and had counted on hitting the roads in NC with you if and when my car ever gets out of the restoration shop (4+ years now sitting there) It is awesome how this community comes together for one and another...
Looking forward to that drive! I promise you a fun loop.

I'll get things sorted and be back on the road in no time. ...well, maybe in 6 months.
That said, this experience makes me want to get out on even more 964 adventures, and meet up with more of you in the next car.
I really appreciate everyone's support and advice. Love this community. Quality people here!
Old 03-16-2018, 10:42 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by misterbeverlyhills
That's definitely a comp that I've forwarded. Very nice car!

Originally Posted by JJJMCD
911jetta: sorry to hear about your accident. Something similar happened to me. I got GEICO to come up about 50% from their original settlement offer by supplying comps and details on the mods done to my car, bought it back from them for around $10k
I started to inform them of the mechanical condition of the car, and the upgrades (if that adds value? At least it verifies the condition/maintenance level of the car)
Makes me sick thinking about all the nice modded parts on that car.
Wong chip, Wevo mm, steering rack brace, trans mount brace, front strut bar, 1 1/2 year old Bistein/HR suspension, GoldenRod/Short shift kit, new RS door cards...
I want all those parts back for my next 964!
Old 03-16-2018, 10:47 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Jetta

I would love to get my car up to you. Are you crazy. You are a wizard and would go through this thing and stop nothing short of perfection. I have seen your work over the years. I know if I could through extra money at it you would build a really smart next-level road warrior too. Dreams.

That said, it doesn't seem to be worth it for this car...
I finally had a conversation with the shop and there's a crushed frame rail, and the damage is in a bad spot. He definitely thinks they'll find more problems once they get started.

!

Thanks for the kind words. As others said it is just metal and your safety comes first. Although I am going to go over this with my friend today. Recently straightened a 991 GT3RS that hit the wall head on at 100 MPH and crushed the tub up to the tank. It will become a track car but you can't tell that it was ever hit and is structurally sound. We are currently working on a 70 have to cut the clamshells out straighten and weld back together using the jigs we have but are finding a discrepancy in the jigs so it is now on the back burner until this is resolved. These cars are all destined to be outlaws so it isn't as critical as period correct restoration for originality.

Depending on how the car is twisted can make a difference but have fixed some seriously damaged cars.

If they total the car I might be interested in buying it if they are willing to sell it cheap enough. Although I am considering a 74 Pantera project that might be very consuming.

Best luck and don't let them sell you short.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:20 AM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

First things first- glad you are ok, that your kids weren't in the back with you.

Second, thank you for all the pictures and info you've posted on this page, very much appreciated

Third- I know you like to hit the track, have you thought of, as Cobalt pointed up above, to convert this into a track car? Might be a good way to keep this one and still enjoy it?
Old 03-16-2018, 12:14 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

If they total it and only give you $38K I would push them very hard to buy the car back at a very low price. Have the car shipped to your shop and have the good parts pulled to be reused for your next car. Sell the engine and transmission and you should hopefully be whole even after paying the shop rates.

Keep us updated and good luck.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:44 PM
FlyinTomato
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sad to see this. Hope you will sort this out soon. It's a stressful situation.

my 92 c2 is available if you are looking for replacement.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:09 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,167 Posts

So I went and crunched the numbers based on pics and description. It must have been a hell of a hit to do this much damage though. Sadly I could help out a bit but not enough for them to change their mind.

I hope it works out better than expected.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:36 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
...These cars are all destined to be outlaws so it isn't as critical as period correct restoration for originality...
That resonates with me. You have PM.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:58 PM
azander
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

That's really unfortunate! Perhaps if you can negotiate a very fair settlement and buy back your car you can get a clean, lower priced tiptronic C2 (possibly from Japan - no sunroof?). Then you can swap over all the parts you want to keep and have a spare engine and car to part-out.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:05 AM
Saint-Vieux
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear 911Jetta and most important, you're physically OK unfortunately she's not, but can be replaced or turn her into a track car or settle it w/ Cobalt and go for this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/142721977707?rmvSB=true as misterbeverhills suggested...

Good luck and all best....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hagerty wants to total my 964, now I can't afford another one. Help!