Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hagerty wants to total my 964, now I can't afford another one. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:07 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts

Been reading your posts and admiring both your car and the pictures that you take for the 10 years that I have been here.

So sorry for the situation you are in.

You are living my nightmare.

I have gone from driving the 964 at least 2000 km a season to now where the last 3 years I put on less than 300 km.

I used to take the car out for dinners or a run to the golf club.

Now I only drive really early in the morning on a nice weekend when no-one else is on the roads.

My fear is that I get into an accident and it is totaled. I know I will not be able to get back into a 964 after that.

Maybe I need psychological help.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:22 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
Maybe I need psychological help.
You do!

Going to Sebring for the 12 Hours today and taking the 993 to the Airport, back Sunday!

Life is short!
Old 03-15-2018, 12:33 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

They must have found a bent rear frame rail to total out this car.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:46 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
They must have found a bent rear frame rail to total out this car.
That’s what I was thinking too, and seeing the gap between the rear quarter and the door on the passsenger side also points to this. That unfortunately isn’t something that will be easily made right.
Old 03-15-2018, 01:51 PM
FOS373
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

can't believe this...... bummed for so many reasons. Best of luck to you
Old 03-15-2018, 02:27 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddster

why isn’t he using his own policy for the claim and then subregating back to Haggerty
This makes sense, no? My brother had an issue a few years back when the other guys insurance company tried to jam him. Hagerty (my bro insurance company) allowed his car to be repaired by a top notch shop, and then went after the other guys insurance company on their own.

And not for nothing, but the guy that crushed the OP stunning 964 better be doing everything in his power to make this right. Sure, accidents happen, but if has has any type of morals and ethics, he will do the right thing....
Old 03-15-2018, 02:40 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

No doubt this sucks however if there is no engine or tranny damage and a slight tweak to the tub this is no where near $30k to repair. It sounds like they are pricing all new parts from Porsche at Porsche pricing.

A good shop should be able to reuse a lot of those parts and fix them so they don't show signs of damage. If not used parts are far less expensive. If the tub has a slight tweak it can be pulled and the paintwork isn't that much.

I would consider getting a quote from another shop and see what they are willing to do. the car is too nice to scrap out and you have too much history with it.

There is an answer out there that will get you what you want you just have to work to find the right people to do the work and stay away from the overprice Porsche approved shops there great for your 991 but for a car like yours you need someone experienced in restoration work.

BTW this is why I modify and use the ROW fog lights to add two additional brake lights and use LED bulbs so people see my brake lights better. That is one of the weakest things about these earlier 911's they fixed with the 993.

As others mentioned this is the other parties insurance companies responsibility. Does he have Hagerty also? You need to go directly to their insurance and not yours.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:53 PM
JohnK964
Three Wheelin'

Received 271 Likes on 158 Posts

This really blows I’m going to break with the crowd a little bit.
How are you? I hope no injuries.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Jetta - Sorry to hear the news. I hope you are ok. My cabrio was rear ended in the right rear 2 years ago. It was $14K in repairs. I paid another 4K to have a full respray. I didn't want them trying to match 25+ year old Guards Pink. The car turned out really well. I know it will be hard but your insurance company should be working with you to find a solution to fix it.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:19 PM
Baltic964Cab
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jetta - Was any of that damage existing? Looking at the paint/body work on the rear lid, it has definately been redone before. That is either multiple layers of really thick paint/primer or a skim coat of mud that has cracked.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:13 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Thanks again everyone, just pulled a few comments as my mind races around at 100 mph.

Originally Posted by fftfk
That sucks! I'm sorry to hear that. I just did this price analysis: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-analysis.html
I am working on updating the analysis but can tell you the average sales price for reported transactions is about $51,000 in 2017 for all 964's (including tiptronic, c4, cabriolets, etc.).
Thank you for your efforts. Real, relevant numbers are so crucial.

Originally Posted by K964
The Hagerty proposed value seems ridiculously low. I have a 1990 C2 with nearly 130k miles and I have it valued at $65k thru Hagerty. What am I missing here? Good luck with your mental and financial recovery.

Smart man. Love that car.

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
911Jetta, I'm so sorry to hear about your car. It's always a ****ty situation to get in an accident much less in a car like a 964 that is very difficult to replace.

I owned a Supra TT in the early 2000s during the height of F&F craze and was unfortunately in an accident which caused the car to be totaled. At the time, KBB values were extremely low for a 10 year old Toyota. My insurance at the time (Farmers) only wanted to give me 14k for the car which was no where close to what I paid for the car and the cost it would take me to replace the vehicle. I ended up finding a number of Supras on sale via Autotrader and various other websites that were comparable to the condition of my car prior to the accident. After a bit of negotiation, insurance paid fair market value for the car.
Sir, I now totally understand how you feel! I've starting firing all kinds of comps at them.

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Sorry to read this & I wish you the best.

I would highly recommend a GUARANTEED value insurance policy for everyone reading this. I'm with American Modern and unfortunately had a total loss accident in one of my cars a couple of years ago - they paid my full value based solely on pictures and a conversation with MY indie... No questions asked.
That what I have with State Farm, and had even increased the value in '16 but that's behind today's market. It's definitely getting raised annually after this experience.

Originally Posted by Jbarnes RS
I will assume you are working with the other persons insurance. You will need to be very strong with them. Don't settle until you get what you want.
My hot rod 3.8 RS clone was hit and totaled. I sent them receipts for all the work. The donor car and everything that went into it. Total was over $150k. Obtained an Apraisal from a certified auto appraiser and fought like hell.
In the end they wrote me a check for a $100k and gave me the totaled car back.
Make sure they know that you love that car and you will fix it or put it in your living room to look at. Once they know you are not going to roll over they will give you what you want.
I'm a lover not a fighter so this is tough. That said, I'm starting to gain some ninja reflexes.

Originally Posted by GothingNC
Udo,
My condolences :-(
I hope you are able to get everything sorted out to get your 964 back on the road !
Missing our drives John. Thanks for the contact info.

Originally Posted by J richard
Yeah never take the first offer. Just pull together examples of cars sold as well as pull ads for similar cars currently for sale. They have to address that. Also it doesn't matter what the other guys policy is, they have to settle with you! Also pull all the receipts for parts, time and work you put into the car, they have to pay for mods and equipment. My totaled RSA first offer was $28k after pulling info together more than doubled (this before the boom) and I bought the car back for nil...go as far as you can before getting a lawyer, that will cut your $ in half...

pain in in the ***.
I remember your story well. You definitely turned lemons into lemonade! Pain in the **** is right! Lots of negative energy being spent on this.

Originally Posted by Invictus
Please add my voice to the chorus of appreciation for your efforts to share your passion for this car over the years - I hope you find a way out of the maze.
Like you I watched my little kids get bigger in this car, and like you mine is also high mileage but cosmetically, psychically and mechanically perfect* so I just dread this scenario.
*chacun à son goût
My kids have grown up in that car, so many good memories!

Originally Posted by K964
And not for nothing, but the guy that crushed the OP stunning 964 better be doing everything in his power to make this right. Sure, accidents happen, but if has has any type of morals and ethics, he will do the right thing....

Total accident by the other guy. We weren't driving fast or in a rush, just patiently waiting at an intersection. There was a horrible look on his face as we got our of our cars. I just went numb. He's a good guy and sick about it, and helping out the best he can.

BTW, I'm eyeing your car!

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Jetta - Sorry to hear the news. I hope you are ok. My cabrio was rear ended in the right rear 2 years ago. It was $14K in repairs. I paid another 4K to have a full respray. I didn't want them trying to match 25+ year old Guards Pink. The car turned out really well. I know it will be hard but your insurance company should be working with you to find a solution to fix it.
I'm keeping your story in mind if the car ends up being repaired.

Originally Posted by Baltic964Cab
Jetta - Was any of that damage existing? Looking at the paint/body work on the rear lid, it has definately been redone before. That is either multiple layers of really thick paint/primer or a skim coat of mud that has cracked.
I have questions too about how the paint looked in those areas. No prior damage has been reported, but some areas of the car had been repainted.

Originally Posted by JohnK964
This really blows I’m going to break with the crowd a little bit.
How are you? I hope no injuries.

I really miss the thing. Silly to say. Really enjoyed driving it and everything that came with ownership. I'm one of the crazies that sometimes just hangs out in the garage to spending time learning new things about it and just plain staring at it.

So both companies are now involved. Hagerty knows I an in disagreement with their market valuation and is now getting bombarded with comps. My insurance company is getting up to speed. I'm in the process of getting another appraisal. Still need to get into a deeper discussion with the shop, so a lot is up in the air at this point.

Everyone's support has been huge and greatly appreciated.
Will update when there's more to share.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:04 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Can Road Scholars help out? I now have some pretty good connections there. Please let me know if I can help out.

Mike
Old 03-15-2018, 06:22 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

I wish you were closer. I know I can have that fixed for 1/3 to 1/2 the quoted price.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:39 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

I just can't believe this.... for 8 years I've been hanging out on this forum. Reading and enjoying your adventures... soaking up knowledge. And most important seeing how you use the car for what it was meant to do.

Looking at the repair cost, the damage looks little. Must be something I'm not seeing.

My advice would be to fight for the car... sometimes love deserves a fight and I know you love that car. Get something you can use instead for the time being... but not too good. Then get to work on the insurance, followed by working on the car.

And if you keep walking you will get to your destination finally.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:52 PM
cobracarrera
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I wish you were closer. I know I can have that fixed for 1/3 to 1/2 the quoted price.
Jetta, Maybe you can ship the car to NJ if Cobalt has a reputable repair shop. Worth the $1000.00 or so to ship. Especially since Cobalt is very well versed on our cars and has connections. Goldcrest Motorsports here in Kennesaw Georgia also has an in body repair shop and its not to far from you. I could always check on the car for you continuously.

I am still very bummed and shocked about this... I too only drive early in the mornings when not to many are on the road..

Quick Reply: Hagerty wants to total my 964, now I can't afford another one. Help!