Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question re GT3 exhaust installation on a 964...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 03:40 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts
Question Question re GT3 exhaust installation on a 964...

I've got pretty much all the major parts I need, just wanted to know by the guys that have done the install, did you use the 964 existing mounting point of the primary muffler to hold the GT3 muffler?
I'm not refering to the straps, I mean the bracket that the straps secure to? Is a 997 bracket required?

Cheers in advance
Old 03-12-2018, 08:15 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

No answers here- only more questions- mind listing the parts required for this job?

Pete
Old 03-12-2018, 09:14 PM
lateforlunch
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes you need to bracket from the 997 gt3 that the muffler straps on to. Aside from that you need the 2 lower mounting studs for that same bracket from the 997 (because they are longer than the 964 studs) and a pair of tubular spacers to go onto those studs in between the engine carrier and the muffler bracket.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:54 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Peteinjp
No answers here- only more questions- mind listing the parts required for this job?
I've gone with Billy Boat Heatexchangers as we need heat in the UK.
Cheapest connectors (known as delete pipes) I could find are by FVD, these mate the GT3 muffler to the heatexchangers.
These will need some fab work though as they're different connector types, may also need extending?
Heatexchangers are 3 bott while FVD connectors are donut/v band... See pic below.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:16 PM
Santa Cruz Red
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

This conversion is of great interest... have become moderately obsessed with the central, dual exit look. Do you plan to run cats?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:16 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes yes, tell us more. How are you going to modify the rear bumper?
Old 03-13-2018, 05:52 PM
butzigear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

For those considering this modification, I offer a bolt on solution. After considering many different routes, I came up with a bolt on solution consisting of custom headers, v-bands, ultra smooth transition pipes and OEM GT3 rear muffler. My kit went through several revisions and is now at a point where we feel we can release it to enthusiast around the world. My kits are made to order. I will also include all necessary OEM gaskets, hardware, install directions, templates for the rear bumper modifications and phone/email support for those that need it. I also offer Cerakote ceramic coating for the headers, piping and GT3 muffler as an option (photos coming soon). Please PM or email for more info. info@butzigear.com

Group buys welcome... Anyone interested?

Butzi Gear ultra smooth, high flow GT3 muffler conversion for 964

Butzi Gear ultra smooth, high flow GT3 muffler conversion for 964

Butzi Gear ultra smooth, high flow GT3 muffler conversion for 964in progress 1

Butzi Gear ultra smooth, high flow GT3 muffler conversion for 964in progress 2

Designed, hand built and precision TIG welded in Connecticut, USA

V-band flanges for easy installation, removal and adjustment

We focus on the details

Beautiful stainless set up w/customized knight headers

Taste the rainbow =)
The following 3 users liked this post by butzigear:
Araeric (06-13-2021), cobalt (07-09-2020), swaini (11-22-2020)
Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What does everyone do to fill
In the cutouts left by the oem exhaust
Old 03-13-2018, 10:11 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
What does everyone do to fill
In the cutouts left by the oem exhaust
thats the last of my problems. I like butzi solution but I am afraid to ask for the price...

i have headers (George euro) and the Gt3 muffler.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:51 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Santa Cruz Red
This conversion is of great interest... have become moderately obsessed with the central, dual exit look. Do you plan to run cats?
No cats for me.

Originally Posted by spartansix
Yes yes, tell us more. How are you going to modify the rear bumper?
Initially just going to cut the bumper to allow the pipes to exit, but later I’ll fit my RS centre section with a more modified exit.
Maybe something similar to the Cayman GT4.

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
What does everyone do to fill In the cutouts left by the oem exhaust
Any good body shop should be able to plastic weld to fill the cutout so it looks OEM never there.

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
thats the last of my problems. I like butzi solution but I am afraid to ask for the price...
i have headers (George euro) and the Gt3 muffler.
The Butzigear setup looks good, nice off the shelf solution but I’m also scared to ask the price!
Where were they 12 months ago when I started accumulating parts...

What headers you gone for?
If I didn’t need heat there’s a lot more choice headers wise and they’re quite a bit cheaper too.

I’ll keep you all posted on the install, hopefully have it all installed in the next couple of weeks...
Old 03-14-2018, 04:01 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

I know there’s a few people that have trail blazed this setup over the last few years,
Any of you care to comment on how you mounted the GT3 muffler...
Is the 997 bracket definitely required as advised by Dan?

Looking at the 964 bracket in pictures online, it looks like it might work...
Old 03-14-2018, 04:25 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by lateforlunch
Yes you need to bracket from the 997 gt3 that the muffler straps on to. Aside from that you need the 2 lower mounting studs for that same bracket from the 997 (because they are longer than the 964 studs) and a pair of tubular spacers to go onto those studs in between the engine carrier and the muffler bracket.
Thanks for the info, I’ve seen your setup on Instagram, very impressive.

Originally Posted by butzigear
For those considering this modification, I offer a bolt on solution. After considering many different routes, I came up with a bolt on solution consisting of custom headers, v-bands, ultra smooth transition pipes and OEM GT3 rear muffler. My kit went through several revisions and is now at a point where we feel we can release it to enthusiast around the world. My kits are made to order. I will also include all necessary OEM gaskets, hardware, install directions, templates for the rear bumper modifications and phone/email support for those that need it. I also offer Cerakote ceramic coating for the headers, piping and GT3 muffler as an option (photos coming soon). Please PM or email for more info. info@butzigear.com
Group buys welcome... Anyone interested?
Very nice setup, looks quality,
Did you also use the 997 bracket like Dan?
Old 03-14-2018, 09:48 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by butzigear
Awesome! Love seeing vendors step up like this. Can't wait to hear a sound file. Does this system end up sounding exactly like any GT3, or similar to a 964 but with a different tone? My buddies G-model with center exit tail pipes sounds really raw and mean (in a very, very good way). Almost like a GT3 Cup car idling at 1200 RPM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:12 AM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

I got some cheap George Euro mufflers which should be big enough for the 3.6

Then I got these 2 things "street adapters" because I forgot I bid $20 on an eBay listing and nobody went above my bid - you know when you receive the email from eBay saying "Congratulations you just won!" and you think "Oh crap how big is the damage"?
I don't know if I need them but they do mate perfectly with the headers.

Then I will need to connect these 2 adapters to this thing here. Thinking to connect to the "loud in" on the sides and just block the "muffled in"

Old 03-14-2018, 11:49 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The Italian Pursuit
I got some cheap George Euro mufflers which should be big enough for the 3.6
Then I got these 2 things "street adapters" because I forgot I bid $20 on an eBay listing and nobody went above my bid - you know when you receive the email from eBay saying "Congratulations you just won!" and you think "Oh crap how big is the damage"?
I don't know if I need them but they do mate perfectly with the headers.
Then I will need to connect these 2 adapters to this thing here. Thinking to connect to the "loud in" on the sides and just block the "muffled in"
Cool, looks like you just need the side muffler delete pipes to complete your setup and a bit of fab work to connect it all up.
I did a lot of searching on this part as some companies are charging an arm & leg for two small bits of pipe!
FVD version is spot on https://www.fvd.net/us-en/BES9970906...r-997-gt3.html

Mine will definitely be connecting via the loud pipe
I originally thought (George Euro) was a reference to me LOL...

Quick Reply: Question re GT3 exhaust installation on a 964...