Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question re GT3 exhaust installation on a 964...

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 02:59 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I am still searching everywhere
does someone has done back to back dino tests with different exhaust system to confirm performance improvements
anyone ?
Old 08-28-2019, 10:58 PM
Bravoaloha
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sorry for the thread revival but I am working on this setup for my '86 911 that has a 3.6 and I have a couple questions. Looking at the muffler it looks like the stock GT3 pipes don't mate up with the interior muffler pipes at the exterior holes, but extend into the muffler. Is that true? Or can I just mount my pipes up to the exterior holes and the exhaust flows by design mostly into the pipes but some escapes into the muffler can. If it doesn't does anyone know what kind of connections they are?

Second, it looks like I need to remove the big heat tube that runs from the motor to the old heat exchangers to get the muffler to fit. What kind of tubing/setup tubing to retain heat? I will be running B&B headers.

Originally Posted by kos11-12
does someone has done back to back dino tests with different exhaust system to confirm performance improvements
anyone ?
I don't have numbers on this but the idea to run this setup came from Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems. He said B&B Headers fabbed up to the quiet pipes on a GT3 muffler is the best and most powerful setup with no drone on these cars that he's seen (and he's seen them all). I am going to run electric cutouts for the loud pipes as well to get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for any help in advance!
Old 09-07-2019, 08:47 PM
Bravoaloha
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Anybody?
Old 09-18-2019, 03:51 PM
retrowerks
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please contact me regarding the GT3 964 Exhaust

Please contact me at your convenience. I am interested in your GT3 exhaust kit for 964 application.

Originally Posted by butzigear
For those considering this modification, I offer a bolt on solution. After considering many different routes, I came up with a bolt on solution consisting of custom headers, v-bands, ultra smooth transition pipes and OEM GT3 rear muffler. My kit went through several revisions and is now at a point where we feel we can release it to enthusiast around the world. My kits are made to order. I will also include all necessary OEM gaskets, hardware, install directions, templates for the rear bumper modifications and phone/email support for those that need it. I also offer Cerakote ceramic coating for the headers, piping and GT3 muffler as an option (photos coming soon). Please PM or email for more info. "info@butzigear.com"

Group buys welcome... Anyone interested?

Butzi Gear ultra smooth, high flow GT3 muffler conversion for 964

Butzi Gear ultra smooth, high flow GT3 muffler conversion for 964

Butzi Gear ultra smooth, high flow GT3 muffler conversion for 964in progress 1

Butzi Gear ultra smooth, high flow GT3 muffler conversion for 964in progress 2

Designed, hand built and precision TIG welded in Connecticut, USA

V-band flanges for easy installation, removal and adjustment

We focus on the details

Beautiful stainless set up w/customized knight headers

Taste the rainbow =)
The following users liked this post:
klokwerk (11-10-2019)
Old 11-09-2019, 09:44 AM
shiftmechanism
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m interested in this exhaust as well.

BUTZI GEAR LLC
Performance, Tuning, Styling, Detailing
190 Buckingham Avenue
Milford, CT 06460
Shop: 203-713-8089
Email: info@butzigear.com

I’ll give them a call tomorrow
Old 11-09-2019, 03:51 PM
964Lovac
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Curious about cost... Looks amazingly done.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:35 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

hey all - finally found the GT3 exhaust - which of the 2 holes on the side are used - bigger seems best blocked off then collector on headers to the smaller blocked hole right?

Old 07-07-2020, 01:09 PM
Sirenty
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 179 Posts

Depends if you want it louder or quieter. Bottom is straight through and louder. Top has to pass a couple bends. See:

HiWind (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 03:11 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
hey all - finally found the GT3 exhaust - which of the 2 holes on the side are used - bigger seems best blocked off then collector on headers to the smaller blocked hole right?
Originally Posted by Sirenty
Depends if you want it louder or quieter. Bottom is straight through and louder. Top has to pass a couple bends.
Guys
Please be wary of using just the top inlet, it may well be quieter, but the silencers are know to split when used like this, due to the back pressure.
If you want it a bit quieter then go for an adapter that joins the two silencer inlets together, a Y pipe something like below.

So mines been in place now for 2 years, still loving it but I'm thinking of a redesign
I might start doing the odd track day, which means my 112dB at idle wont cut it!!!
Might do the above pipes with 993 heat exchangers and join the two with crossover pipes incorporating race cats or a small silencer... Still undecided

HiWind (07-07-2020)
Old 07-07-2020, 03:39 PM
964George
Burning Brakes

Sorry guys I missed your posts originally.

Originally Posted by kos11-12
anyone ?
It's pretty well documented that the standard 964 exhaust is about as good as it gets if you just add a Cup pipe or G pipe.
The improvements from the GT3 setup are threefold;
1. Weight saving in the rear where it counts.
2. Sound, oh the glorious sound!
3. Aesthetics, I think it looks awesome...

But points 2 and 3 are not to everyone's tastes!

Originally Posted by Bravoaloha
Sorry for the thread revival but I am working on this setup for my '86 911 that has a 3.6 and I have a couple questions. Looking at the muffler it looks like the stock GT3 pipes don't mate up with the interior muffler pipes at the exterior holes, but extend into the muffler. Is that true? Or can I just mount my pipes up to the exterior holes and the exhaust flows by design mostly into the pipes but some escapes into the muffler can. If it doesn't does anyone know what kind of connections they are?

Second, it looks like I need to remove the big heat tube that runs from the motor to the old heat exchangers to get the muffler to fit. What kind of tubing/setup tubing to retain heat? I will be running B&B headers.

I don't have numbers on this but the idea to run this setup came from Steve Weiner at Rennsport Systems. He said B&B Headers fabbed up to the quiet pipes on a GT3 muffler is the best and most powerful setup with no drone on these cars that he's seen (and he's seen them all). I am going to run electric cutouts for the loud pipes as well to get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for any help in advance!
I believe the pipes that enter the silencer only go in a couple of inches so do not actually mate up to the internal pipes, but I could well be wrong on this...
Regarding the heat tube, mine is still on situ and fully functioning, look back at the earlier posts to see.
Also the GT3 muffler straps straight on to the 964 exhaust bracket, no additional mounting brackets are required, mines not moved a inch in 2 years.
Like I said earlier, be wary of using just the top inlet as the silencers are know to split due to the back pressure when used like this.

Did you guys go for the GT3 setup in the end???
Old 07-07-2020, 05:26 PM
HiWind
Race Car

^^ thanks both @Sirenty @964George - warning will be heeded thanks!

Does anyone sell a set of dual pipes for each side to mate upto the centre box as show by @964George ??
ie TUBI & SOUL PERFORMANCE? @Soul Performance
Old 07-08-2020, 05:44 AM
964George
Burning Brakes

You're welcome Hiwind.
To be honest, what these companies are charging for these muffler delete pipes is stupid!!!
A good exhaust fabricator can make them for a fraction of the cost.
What ever headers or HE you use, you'll need a custom connector anyway, as the 997/991 pipes stick out further as the car is a lot wider...
So just get it all done together by your fabricator, you'll save money in the long run and it'll look a lot better.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:44 PM
HiWind
Race Car

yes bud that's exactly the route I am going
1. getting flanges for each side of the gt3 muffler laser cut in 10mm mild
2. then we will reposition the collector on the headers a bit (50mm outwards) -- make a bit more space for the valve covers/spark leads
3. then tig weld our way backwards in stainless
4. then position the main box with the dual inlets into it from the sides ala the single to dual ones above
5. and then set the height of the tips
6. plan and cut the middle bottom of the centre bumper piece
et voila

will look something like this
964George (07-10-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 07:14 PM
Peteinjp
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

Pic link isn’t working...

Looking forward to seeing this all come together!

pete
Old 07-08-2020, 07:17 PM
HiWind
Race Car

it isn't???

Quick Reply: Question re GT3 exhaust installation on a 964...