Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is the reason I won't let anyone work on my car..

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:00 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Railmaster.
Probably a poor quality wing and that is why it was removed from the previous car before You bought it!
Hi railmaster, you know what you are probably right after the lack of care they have given. Although even if it is a poor quality which it doesn't seem to be, it doesn't cause the whole side of my car to be scratched and for it to be mounted so poorly that it breaks the first time I open it!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LPMM
^^^ This

Perhaps but that does not excuse the hack job, especially since they supplied the wing and lid. Any competent shop would have handled it differently.
Hi lpmm, thanks for the support
Old 03-12-2018, 08:10 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Foxman
That work is plainly unacceptable. Thankfully the work was largely confined to the aftermarket wing, and they didn't do any permanent damage to your car (except perhaps some rubbed paint). A full refund is in order, and I wouldn't let that shop ever touch my car again.
Hey Jim! Yes totally, thank God Its just the wing! I was unsure if I should ask for a refund or not. Nothing like this has ever happened to me before!
Nobody will ever touch it again except for trusted fellow enthusiasts and myself
Old 03-12-2018, 08:14 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jjm4life
So we naming names here or what?
Hey jim4life, I think I'd get sued for defamation lol so I won't be naming them!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:18 PM
Jjm4life
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingo
Hey jim4life, I think I'd get sued for defamation lol so I won't be naming them!
aww come on. the truth shall set you free! hard to sue with pics like that showing off their "work".

really though, I just like stirring the pot. hope you get that sorted out, I know I would be furious if I were in your position.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:21 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

I overheard a classic car dealer talking to a colleague years ago saying that he had had enough of ‘anoraks’ poring over his cars for sale and picking up irrelevant points. He wanted to sell common cars where the buyer was less fussy.

I imagine it’s the same with mechanics and body shops. They want to convert labour and parts into profit and are hampered by enthusiasts’ quality standards. What I learned with the OPC engine rebuild is that if you have the skills and time it’s alway better to do it yourself, unfettered by the constraints of time and experience many shops have.

To your current point, you need to work out what you want out of this, see the person who can authorise it, then speak matter of fact and let them work out how to get there. Anger won’t work. Good luck.

BTW I never got any satisfaction out of the OPC, I have however spoken about it so many times I expect they’ve lost work over it. Sometimes Karma takes a while to set in.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:03 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by John McM
I overheard a classic car dealer talking to a colleague years ago saying that he had had enough of ‘anoraks’ poring over his cars for sale and picking up irrelevant points. He wanted to sell common cars where the buyer was less fussy.

I imagine it’s the same with mechanics and body shops. They want to convert labour and parts into profit and are hampered by enthusiasts’ quality standards. What I learned with the OPC engine rebuild is that if you have the skills and time it’s alway better to do it yourself, unfettered by the constraints of time and experience many shops have.
There is a great deal of truth to this statement. I do believe that Porsche mechanics charge a considerably higher labor rate to take into account that they need to be much more careful and meticulous with their work as would be expected by any enthusiast fussy owner. I for one am fine paying the higher rate as long as the work is meticulous. That classic car dealer would need to compete with every other shop in the area for the normal business and labor rates will likely be at least 35% less if not more. Hopefully his/her overhead wasn’t too high if they decide to go mainstream.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:28 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Well I'm at a complete loss, I went there with the car but the manager wasn't about so I went back home and called back in 30 minutes as instructed.

He pretty much said that's how they are and it's doing what it's meant to be doing by moving around on the fixings at high speeds... the speed limit here is 100 and I'm yet to drive the car in anger.

They offered to buff the scratches out, but denied causing them as "their guys are professionals" and the only way it would get scratched is if it was dusty. I'd rather do that myself after the experience I've had with them and I can't afford to lose more time off work.

I just give up. I'l tell everyone I know not to take their car there and I'll fix and repaint it myself.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:52 PM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by John McM

To your current point, you need to work out what you want out of this, see the person who can authorise it, then speak matter of fact and let them work out how to get there. Anger won’t work. Good luck.

BTW I never got any satisfaction out of the OPC, I have however spoken about it so many times I expect they’ve lost work over it. Sometimes Karma takes a while to set in.
hey john, i completely agree with you.
It seems people just wanto make their money and not care so much about quality.

And like you I will continue to do all the work myself.
Its kind of good that I have experienced this as I was going to pay them to do everything, and after this my confidence has grown so that I will tackle any project myself.

Mrs dingo stopped me and made me think after the phone conversation, before I went in angry. And I'm glad she did.

I will waste no more of my time with these people.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:57 PM
cool whip
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dingo
Well I'm at a complete loss, I went there with the car but the manager wasn't about so I went back home and called back in 30 minutes as instructed.

He pretty much said that's how they are and it's doing what it's meant to be doing by moving around on the fixings at high speeds... the speed limit here is 100 and I'm yet to drive the car in anger.

They offered to buff the scratches out, but denied causing them as "their guys are professionals" and the only way it would get scratched is if it was dusty. I'd rather do that myself after the experience I've had with them and I can't afford to lose more time off work.

I just give up. I'l tell everyone I know not to take their car there and I'll fix and repaint it myself.
It was an unfortunate situation. You can get the car fixed it's not the end of the world. Your car is beautiful, and be thankful you own one. Prices are getting crazier year after year.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:45 AM
Dingo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cool whip
It was an unfortunate situation. You can get the car fixed it's not the end of the world. Your car is beautiful, and be thankful you own one. Prices are getting crazier year after year.
Hi cool whip. Yeah I'm pretty over it now, it's obvious that they wouldn' be capable to do a better job than they already have and are not willing to do so.
Thanks for the compliments, I love the car and will put this down to experience.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:36 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

total hackfest, and a ****ty attitude to boot.

I'd have no problem shaming them to whoever would listen after their response to your reasonable request.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:10 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Besides the obvious hack job, that lid is really ****ty quality and fit.That thing looks like its going to rip off while you're driving. I hope you kept your original decklid. I can't believe any shop let a alone a porsche "expert" would let that leave their shop, I wouldn't trust these clowns to put air in my tires. Good luck.

Last edited by jpar; 03-13-2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:29 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by jpar
I wouldn't trust these clowns to put air in my tires.
FIFY

Andreas
Old 03-13-2018, 02:31 PM
jpar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AOW162435
FIFY

Andreas
Didn't proofread, fixed it, thanks.

Quick Reply: This is the reason I won't let anyone work on my car..